wortu

I-864 for those changing jobs when moving back to the US with DCF spouse

1 post in this topic

The I-864 seems to be designed for nice stable people, quietly waiting in the US for the beneficiary to arrive. However, I and probably many other DCFers have a rather unstable situation. Surely I’m not the only one changing jobs when moving back to the US with my DCF spouse. Can anyone here help me out?

The big issue: they ask for current and past income, but they probably won’t accept my current job as evidence I’m able to offer support to my wife because I will of course be quitting the job in order to move to the US with her. I may even also include my resignation letter as part of the evidence of my intent to reestablish domicile in the US.

Here's my current plan:

1. Fill out the income section as though I weren’t going to quit my job (meets threshold, but I won’t have the job when we move)

a. Submit my last IRS 1040, 1116, and 2555 (don’t have a W-2)

2. Fill out the assets sections, which is a hodge-podge of assets that will barely meet the threshold, and won’t meet it if they don’t like any one piece of evidence

3. Use any random online currency converter to convert EUR amounts to USD (probably oanda.com) for 1 and 2 above

4. Also get my father to be the joint sponsor

5. Write a nice letter explaining

a. my financial situation

i. didn’t owe US taxes last 3 years (but filed 1040’s with a lot of zeros)

ii. current income from employment abroad that’s about to terminate

b. that I have only been in Germany temporarily

i. residence permit tied to a work contract that has an expiration date

ii. student id

iii. maintenance of US checking and retirement accounts

c. that I genuinely intend to reestablish domicile in the US

i. I quit my job (w/ copy of resignation letter), and that’s why I’ve included assets on the form

ii. (hopefully but unlikely) new job contract in US

It may be belt and suspenders, but do you guys see anything wrong with my plan of action here?

DCF Frankfurt

2013-08-01 Married

2013-08-02 I-130 package sent

2013-08-05 I-130 package arrived (according to tracking)

2013-08-06 Fee charged to credit card

2013-08-09 Received NOA1 in the mail

2013-10-19 Received NOA2 in the mail, from Athens?!?! "Your petition...has been forwarded to...Frankfurt."

2013-10-24 Requested tax transcripts from IRS (for affidavits of support)

2013-10-26 Received NOA2 from Frankfurt with new case number

2013-10-26 DS-260 completed online

2013-10-28 Request for interview mailed

2013-10-30 DS-260 resubmitted with correction

2013-11-04 DS-260 resubmitted with addition of US permanent address

2013-11-05 Immigrant visa document package (packet 3) mailed

2013-11-15 Letter with interview date received in the mail. Interview date WAY too short notice to get medical done in time

2013-11-18 Emergency trip to Frankfurt to get medical done

2013-11-19 Walk-in medical in Frankfurt (limited walk-in hours, so couldn't do day before interview)

2013-11-19 Finally get email response from consulate saying it's OK to get the medical done after the interview (too late)

2013-11-21 Interview in Frankfurt

2013-11-26 Visa received. Woohoo!

2013-12-24 POE Seattle - they were confused by lack of paper DS-230

2014-02-08 Green card arrived in the mail

2014 Social security card never arrived - got one at local SS office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.