Boy&Bell

passport name issue

2 posts in this topic

Hi Vj family,

With our I130, my husband used his surname for my last name. We missed that tricky question no.22 and when we we're given our case number which is MNL knowing that i'm here in Thailand working for the last 5 years, we made a re-assignment of consulate. Thus, NVC askedfor proof and evidences of the legitimacy of my stay here. One proof we sent was a photocopy of my current passport, under my previous marriage's surname,with all my stamped pages. My new passport,under my maiden name, is ready for release, though we still used my previous marriage surname because the NVC is using that name from all their correspondence to us since then.

We had started filling out DS 260 under my previous marriage's surname,since it's been disclosed and used by NVC all along.

Should things go well with our papers, can i present my new passport, under my maiden name, and of course with my current passport, under my previous, marriage's surname, during the interview?

Kindly advise.

Thank you,thank you

B&b

I believe everything should be filled in in your NEW name, any papers filed or sent to the NVC "trump" those previously sent to the USCIS or on your I-130

I did the unusual step of taking on my wife's family name AFTER we filed the I-130, i jusr recently filled in the DS261 in my new name, sent the I-864 in my new name and will be filing in the DS260 in my new name too, i believe if you fill everything in in your old name, the visa would only be stamped and placed in a passport with your old name in, which is obviously not active now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.