PhillyJon

POE solo vs. together

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

We're planning for my wife's entry from China on a CR-1 visa. I'm hoping to fly to China and enter the US with her. How much of a difference will this make in the entry process (probably in Detroit)? Do they do everything at the window or will she have to go off somewhere by herself? It seems like it might smooth the process if I am there with her.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Ask the CBP officer at the POE. Recent similar-themed posts seem to indicate the couple going through the same line. Google for details.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I am intending to go to China to pick up my fiancée and her son, then bring them both back here with me. Our POE is Chicago O'hare. I also intend to be with her every step of the way, going through the same line she goes through. Of course I will attempt the faster line, for USC's first. 3 weeks from today, she will be here.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

A&B I've already been told we can go through the same line together. My question is whether it makes any difference in the entry process whether I am with her when she arrives or whether she arrives alone. (I was told that if she arrives alone she will need to get into the "Visitors" line, but we can use the US citizen's line if we are together.) I mainly want to know whether it will make entry easier if I'm there.

The second part of the question is whether I can accompany her through the whole entry process, or whether they take her off to some little room for further questioning. Shenzhen said it took his wife 2 or 3 hours to clear USCIS. If that happens to my wife, she'll miss her connecting flight whether I'm with her or not.

I'm glad to be done with the visa part of the process. But I guess I need to learn more about the entry process now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I know this is not going to add too much to the discussion, but a trick that we have learned for coming through entry is to HUSTLE from the plane to the POE area. Often times the spacing of incoming flights means that if you move it you can be at the front of the line are damn close. This solves the main problem of everyone else coming through the visitor line not knowing what is going on. And if you can be there with her it will be easier, one less stressful thing. I have heard many stories of ladies spending hours getting through POE to be annoyed by a "happy" man on the other side with no realization of the ####### she just endured. Also, if she is coming alone, remind her (several times) what she can and can not bring with her. My MIL was VERY LUCKY to not have her luggage searched on this last trip. She had enough dried/cured "things" to stock a shelf. headbonk.gif

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.