romanticminds

Phnom Penh Embassy Review

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I can't seem to figured out how to put this on the embassy review section on my timeline. As the link doesn't work for me. I apologize in advanced.

Our interview day was on October 1, 2013 on Tuesday at 7:30 AM

We arrived at the embassy around 6:30 AM and there were at least 5-10 people ahead of us. One line for Immigrant Visa and Non Immigrant Visa. Now one line for everything. Seems to me like there were more fiance(e) visa applicants than spousal visa applicants. Monks were lead in by the security guard first as according to customs and religions. I'm gonna stress this and again later on. It is crucial and of high important and beneficial to have your petitioner attend the interview along with the beneficiary as other VJ members here will contest to that. For the Phnom Penh embassy petitioner are allow to enter into the building to attend the interview together. We were told by the security guards not to bring a big bag inside the embassy. No electronics whatsoever. Then they will give you a visitor badge to enter through another check gate before entering the interview section of the embassy. Do not bring binder as that will only cause problem in sliding documents under the tiny window slot. The slots are kind of like a slots where you would see at a bank. Instead what we did was put one original document and one translation document paperclip those documents together. For example marriage certificate and english translation behind it. Birth certificate and english translation behind it. Put all your civil documents together in one folder and be ready to hand it to the officer when ask for it. In another folder put all your evidences of relationship such as airline tickets, copy of passport, dinner receipts hotel receipts, skype logs and chats, emails. We put pictures of significant meaning and dates into a story book or put them on a piece of paper and labeled them with dates, names and locations to clarified when the pics were taken. Western Unions receipts was actually not ask but can be put together in the evidence packet for the immigration officer to look at. Things needed first was the interview appt. letter. You will also need to give them 2 pics of passport photos. Do not put those inside the passport as they can easily be lost or misplaced by the people asking for it. Instead give them one at a time.

Once inside the embassy they will ask you to go to window 1 to pick up a number. We were like 5 in line, but was not call to the window until an hour later. Perhaps due to us being a spousal visa applicants. We notice that tourist visa was ask before us even the fiancee visa applicant was called up to the window before us. So it was not first come first serve in order of lines. Another lady who's husband was not at the interview was holding her 8 month old daughter was also at the interview that day. She was before us. Questions ask of her was very much detailed of dates visiting and was probably ask about 20 questions that lasted about 20 minutes. I don't know if that was because her husband was not at the interview or if she was being ask by a strict IO. Obviously she was not denied a visa, but was missing a signature from a co-sponsor and was ask to come back and bring those original docs again at a later date. I would suggest you have all your paperwork completely fill out. Make sure no documents or forms are missing during your interview day. Also please remember dates of number of times visiting each other.

We were call up to be interview about 40 minutes later. We were only ask 3 questions of why our petitions was originally denied. We were denied because of marriage documents that was not validated by the correct ministry of actual authority. Questions asked was when was our actual marriage cermony and when was the actual day of marriage registry? As that was pertaining to our case. I think having the petitioner there is of great value. Questions ask during interview day from other applicants was the usual how did you guys meet? When, Who What questions. Original docs giving to the NVC was given back to us during the interview. Interview is being conducted in a way that your feel you are at a bank. Behind a glass window that sometimes hard to hear. Privacy is not of important during interview. As everyone can listen on you during your interview. There were only 1 interpreter there during my interview day. As the American Immigration Officer speaks Khmer and English. He spoke Khmer to my wife and English to me the petitioner. Visa are given the following Friday. I have not noticed or heard anyone getting visa the same day or next day. Important docs to have all passport, passport pics (2), National ID Card, Medical Exam, Police Record, Civil Docs pertaining to your case. Good luck to whom ever is reading this and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me and I will do my best to answer any one that needs help. Thank you for your time.

USCIS

Oct. 29, 2012 NOA 1
Feb. 01, 2013 NOA 2
NVC
Feb. 13, 2013 NVC received case
Mar. 15, 2013 Mailed AOS & IV packet
Mar. 27, 2013 NVC Case complete

Apr. 03, 2013 NVC case complete email

Aug. 26, 2013 Interview email noticed

Oct. 1, 2013 Interview date

Good Luck To Everyone Here @ VisaJourney
Never take my opinions and comments as factual representation because I'm not one of the VJ gurus

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hello romanticminds,

It is very nice to hear from you, especially the experience you had at Phnom Penh embassy. As you know, not many Khmer people came back to share their stories and give advice to the next couple.

Please accept my sincere congratulations on your marriage and wish you and your wife best of luck.

Timeline:

04/05/04 : K1 NSC

08/03/04 : Case approved

10/26/04 : Visa approved

12/09/04 : Fiancee arrives in the US.

12/28/04 : Married in Chicago.

2/25/05 : file AOS and EAD to

3/25/05 : NOAs for both

4/2/05 : fingers print

4/23/05 : received EAD card

7/6/05: NOA for interview in October 2005.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from US Embassy/Consulate Discussion to Asia: East & Pacific Regional Forum~

~Commentary is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Awesome review! Thank you so much for taking your time to share with us your experience. Once again, congratulations and best of luck as you and your wife continue her journey to become a US citizen.

Take care!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Wow!! What a review! I could not say better! As we became friends via visa journey, our interview also was identical. We are back to our normal life now but keep in touch my friend. Have a good life. It was a pleasure to meet you in Phnom Penh at the end of our journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.