3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I from Jacksonville FLorida.. My husband is planning to adopt my son. In my son's birth certificate theres no father's name. We are not married to his father too. His father abandoned him when his still in my womb. He never visit me when i was pregnant nor my son when he was born. We lost contact when i get pregnant, cause he was hiding from me. Now my son is 4 years old, and all he know is that my husband now is his father. My husband is the one who taking care for him when his still 1 and half years old. We are from the Philippines, and my husband is a US Citizen, and we lived here in america for more than 1 year now. My Questions are:

what documents do i need to send?

what are the requirements?

How long is the process?

How much does is cost?

does everyone already done it? Please let me know...

I'm having trouble too on how to explain to my son that his not using my husband's family name.. all he know that he is, LAURENCE BROWN. not LAURENCE CASINILLO( my family name when im not yet married).

He went to school as a VPK, and he introduce himself as that name as BROWN.

Please help us.. so he will be officially Brown..

Thank you..

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Adoptions are govern by state law.

Your spouse will need to file in a Florida court to adopt your child and legally change the child's name.

DO NOT START USING A NEW NAME. YOU NEED A COURT ORDER TO CHANGE THE CHILD'S NAME.

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/0/40018bdf1f308fe985256b2f006c5c11

http://www.ehow.com/way_5600206_florida-procedures-stepparent-adoption.html

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.