JAYANN & JAY

Adjustment of Status

34 posts in this topic

Quick question - AOS forms should be filled with my married name and signature? The reason I ask this because when I signed my marriage application form, I was told to sign to my married name, then the application was rejected and need to sign to my maiden name. So my marriage cert was a little bit messy with erasures =(.

Shoud I be using my married and signature to all AOS applications or not?

Thanks in advance.

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Quick question - AOS forms should be filled with my married name and signature? The reason I ask this because when I signed my marriage application form, I was told to sign to my married name, then the application was rejected and need to sign to my maiden name. So my marriage cert was a little bit messy with erasures =(.

Shoud I be using my married and signature to all AOS applications or not?

Thanks in advance.

Yup ... your LEGAL name NOW... which is your married name! :thumbs:

(my wife had to sign the married certificate with her maiden name as well)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

True, you can file AOS after the I-94 expires. But you may not be able to get a DL or State ID if your I-94 is expired. Happened to us in AK. But AOS can be filed any time after marriage, provided A) You don't need to leave the country (can't get back in), and 2) You can save a few bucks waiting until the 2-year mark to file AOS, as your GC will just be issued as a 10-yr instead of a 2-year.

Your legal name for the marriage cert was the maiden one. Your legal name now is your married one. Small distinction, but important and some have gotten hung up on it. AOS is after your got married, so all forms should be your married name.

Timeline

I know we didn't send any banking info. Follow the instructions sheet for the I-485 (page 4 (10B), it asks for evidence of marriage and the I-94. Then evidence of support with the I-864. Adjustment of Status can be filed the day you get your marriage certificate, does not even require an SSN, so for sure does not require joint bank account statements.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Removal Of Conditions will ask for joint bank statements and such.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

True, you can file AOS after the I-94 expires. But you may not be able to get a DL or State ID if your I-94 is expired. Happened to us in AK. But AOS can be filed any time after marriage, provided A) You don't need to leave the country (can't get back in), and 2) You can save a few bucks waiting until the 2-year mark to file AOS, as your GC will just be issued as a 10-yr instead of a 2-year.

Your legal name for the marriage cert was the maiden one. Your legal name now is your married one. Small distinction, but important and some have gotten hung up on it. AOS is after your got married, so all forms should be your married name.

In the State of Washington, all you need is your passport, SS Card and the address where you live to get a drivers license. I guess it varies from State to State on what they require.

I am also hoping that with the marriage certificate that we can get her drivers license in her married name.

cjmc

Timeline

In the State of Washington, all you need is your passport, SS Card and the address where you live to get a drivers license. I guess it varies from State to State on what they require.

I am also hoping that with the marriage certificate that we can get her drivers license in her married name.

cjmc

Did you get the D.L. already with just a passport and SS card? I ask because they list U.S. passport not a foreign passport. For immigrants they list the green card or other immigrant I.D. with signature & photo

What it states on the Washington DOL website:

1. Proof of identity What you’ll need Acceptable documents
  • We only accept original or certified copies of the documents listed below.
  • If you present multiple documents issued by a foreign government or organization, and we’ve approved of their issuance processes, we’ll accept them as separate documents. Currently, we accept multiple documents issued by:
    • Mexican government
    • Guatemalan government
  • We may ask for more documents.
  • This list may change without notice.
Stand-alone Documents
  • Washington State driver license, ID card, or instruction permit — Valid or has expired within 1 year, has your signature, date of birth and photo.
  • Out-of-state driver license, ID card, or instruction permit (if you have a Social Security number) — Valid or expired within 60 days and has your photo. Also tell us your Social Security number so we can verify it.
  • U.S. armed services ID card with photo — Valid.
  • U.S. passport — Valid, has your signature and photo (an emergency passport isn’t acceptable).
  • Immigration ID with signature — Valid, from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, with:
    • Your signature and photo which are identifiable (I-327, I-551, I-571, I-766).
    • or
    • A “Signature Waived” notation or encrypted signature on the back of the card.
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization — An original with your signature and photo.
  • Department of Social and Health Services Children’s Administration (DSHS CA) ID letter

If you're in:

• Court-ordered foster care with DSHS, or
    • Another supervising Washington agency as your legal custodian, then
    • You may prove your identity with an ID letter from DSHS CA.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you get the D.L. already with just a passport and SS card? I ask because they list U.S. passport not a foreign passport. For immigrants they list the green card or other immigrant I.D. with signature & photo

What it states on the Washington DOL website:

1. Proof of identity What you’ll needAcceptable documents
  • We only accept original or certified copies of the documents listed below.
  • If you present multiple documents issued by a foreign government or organization, and we’ve approved of their issuance processes, we’ll accept them as separate documents. Currently, we accept multiple documents issued by:
    • Mexican government
    • Guatemalan government
  • We may ask for more documents.
  • This list may change without notice.
Stand-alone Documents
  • Washington State driver license, ID card, or instruction permit — Valid or has expired within 1 year, has your signature, date of birth and photo.
  • Out-of-state driver license, ID card, or instruction permit (if you have a Social Security number) — Valid or expired within 60 days and has your photo. Also tell us your Social Security number so we can verify it.
  • U.S. armed services ID card with photo — Valid.
  • U.S. passport — Valid, has your signature and photo (an emergency passport isn’t acceptable).
  • Immigration ID with signature — Valid, from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, with:
    • Your signature and photo which are identifiable (I-327, I-551, I-571, I-766).
    • or
    • A “Signature Waived” notation or encrypted signature on the back of the card.
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization — An original with your signature and photo.
  • Department of Social and Health Services Children’s Administration (DSHS CA) ID letter

If you're in:

• Court-ordered foster care with DSHS, or
    • Another supervising Washington agency as your legal custodian, then
    • You may prove your identity with an ID letter from DSHS CA.

Have not gotten it yet, but we will bring everything with us that we have and let you know what happens....seems that a non- expired foreign passport with a certified birth certificate should work.....

cjmc

Timeline

I did not see a foreign passport listed anywhere when I looked, the I-94 also is not listed as acceptable where I have seen it listed in other states. The birth certificate does not show U.S. citizenship so will be of no value.

What is required is documentation showing legal status in the USA.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

My wife was able to get a WA ID card (it's the same identity requirements for a WA DL) before we filed the AOS.

Steps to getting your first driver license: Proof of identity

When you apply for a Washington State driver license, instruction permit, or ID card, you must:

1. Be a Washington State resident. (she had her ESLregistration from a local college, and also our apartment lease).
  2. Show proof of identity. (see below in red - we used option 3 which is one item from A-list and 2 items from B-list).
  3. Provide your Social Security number. If you don't have one, you’ll need to show proof of Washington residence.
  4. Have your photograph taken.

If you’re over 25 years old: Show us 1 of the options from the list below:

• Option 1: One “Stand-alone Document”
  • Option 2: Two “A-List Documents”
  • Option 3:
    • One “A-list Document”
    • and
    • Two “B-List Documents”
  • Option 4: At least four “B-List Documents” including:
    • One from the list of documents that have your name and date of birth
    • and
    • One showing your name and signature.

A-List Documents

• Out-of-state driver license, ID card or instruction permit (if you don’t have a Social Security number) — Valid or has expired within 60 days and has your photo.
  • Driver license from a foreign country — Valid or has expired within 60 days, has security features and is verifiable.
  • Federal or state employee ID card— Valid, shows your signature and photo.
  • Foreign passport — Valid and stamped U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) entry form I-94/I94W or Temporary I-551 ADIT stamp.
  • Tribal enrollment ID card
    • Must be federally-recognized Indian tribal enrollment card, or U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs ID card
    • Must have your signature and photo.
  • Original U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization Where your signature and photo aren’t identifiable.
  • Verification letter — If you’re on work release, or supervised by an agency that we have an agreement with, you may provide a verification letter from that agency. We currently have agreements with:
    • Washington State Department of Corrections — electronic version only.
    • U.S. Federal correction authorities (FDOC).
    • Dept. of Social and Health Services Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration (DSHS JRA) — electronic version only.
    • DSHS Children’s Administration (CA) — for foster youth only.
    • Western State Hospital (WSH).
  • Washington city or county police employee ID card — Valid, has your signature and photo.
  • U.S. Passport card — has your name and photo.

B-List Documents Documents that establish your name and date of birth

• Certified birth certificate. (Puerto Rico birth certificates must have an issue date of July 1, 2010 or later to be accepted.)
  • Certified Washington birth registration card.
  • A valid concealed weapons permit issued by a Washington county.
  • Consular report of birth abroad.
  • Court-issued adoption papers.
  • Military DD 214.
  • U.S. driver license, photo instruction permit, or ID card (invalidated or expired within the past 5 years).
  • U.S. passport (expired within the past 5 years).
  • Valid U.S. visa.
  • Veteran Administration ID with your name, photo, and date of birth.
  • Ward of the Court decree/Order of Dependency.
  • Washington State driver license, photo instruction permit, or ID card (invalidated or expired within the past 5 years).

Other acceptable “B-List Documents” with your name and date of birth, signature, photo, or current WA residence address

• Divorce decree that has your name and signature (filed with the county).
  • Driving record from another state issued within the past 30 days.
  • Foreign passport that has expired within 5 years, or without an I-94/I-94W form or temporary I-551 ADIT stamp.
  • Foreign driver license expired not more than 5 years. The license must have security features and be verifiable.
  • Valid Guatemala Consulate ID card.
  • Marriage license or certificate (filed with the county).
  • Medicare card.
  • Valid Mexican Matricula Consular ID card.
  • Mexican Federal Electoral Card issued 1991 or later. (Your photo must be readily identifiable.)
  • Mexican school record with a seal and your photo at the age when issued.
  • Mortgage document or mortgage coupon payment book.
  • Nexus, Sentri, or Fast Border Crossing card.
  • Professional license (nurse, physician, engineer, etc.)
  • Property deed or title (filed).
  • Property tax bill or statement issued within the last 12 months.
  • Selective Service card.
  • School transcript includes your date of birth.
  • Form I-20 or DS-2019 for foreign exchange students.
  • School yearbook with your recognizable photo (or copy certified by the school).
  • Social Security card with your signature. We’ll verify it.
  • Transportation Worker Credential (TWIC).
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner’s card (valid or expired within the past 5 years).
  • WA vehicle title with your current residence address (not a Quick Title with a tamper-proof tape over the VIN and title number).

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html#identity

Edited by Umka36

On this link: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/462186-what-to-do-after-arriving-with-my-k1/ , it says "and after you get married, go to the nearest USCIS and inform them you just got married, and they will change your name in the system, after 48-72 hrs you can go back to SSA to have your name change."

Does anyone did the same?

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

Timeline

Well at the SSA office here my wife had zero issue getting her SSN in her married name (as it should be).

For sure some SSA offices have total idiots working behind the counters ( - as in graduates of the Forrest Gump school of Stupid is as Stupid Does....) there should be no reason you can not get your SSN in your married name. But sometimes idiots rule even at the supervisor level in some offices.

Here is how stupid they are: To apply for an SSN you need the SS-5 form and the I-94 (or I-551 or I-766 ), with those items you can get a SSN. Now to have your name changed to your married name you need... (drum roll here)..... a certified copy of your marriage certificatge. Now if that doesn't scream STUPID when a the idiot behind the counter refuses to issue your SSN in your married name I don't know what does.

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

------->>>>> Requirement for changing name to married name.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Well at the SSA office here my wife had zero issue getting her SSN in her married name (as it should be).

For sure some SSA offices have total idiots working behind the counters ( - as in graduates of the Forrest Gump school of Stupid is as Stupid Does....) there should be no reason you can not get your SSN in your married name. But sometimes idiots rule even at the supervisor level in some offices.

Here is how stupid they are: To apply for an SSN you need the SS-5 form and the I-94 (or I-551 or I-766 ), with those items you can get a SSN. Now to have your name changed to your married name you need... (drum roll here)..... a certified copy of your marriage certificatge. Now if that doesn't scream STUPID when a the idiot behind the counter refuses to issue your SSN in your married name I don't know what does.

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Print this page out and bring it with you to SSA ------->>>>> Requirement for changing name to married name.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

to rephrase the question as mentioned above ""and after you get married, go to the nearest USCIS and inform them you just got married,". It is mentioned that to inform the nearest USCIS about the marriage, so my question is "Is this required?".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.