Louza

Someone with previous DV Experience

28 posts in this topic

I don't get it. How do people come up with these stories? A DV winner has my SIL convinced that they will be receiving monthly payments (from somewhere) where it's to my understanding when you sign the DS-230 you're basically swearing you won't be a public charge.

They won't give applicants the visas if they think they will become a public charge. They haven't had their interview yet right? She can easily check that fact with the interviewing officer...though that might raise eyebrows unless they can easily show they won't be public charges.

Just to add, new immigrants cannot receive almost any social welfare assistance until they have been in the US for five years - see http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/immigration/restrictions-sum.shtml

...and you can have your green card revoked if you are deemed it have become a public charge.

They won't give applicants the visas if they think they will become a public charge. They haven't had their interview yet right? She can easily check that fact with the interviewing officer...though that might raise eyebrows unless they can easily show they won't be public charges.

The interview is next Monday. Her English isn't all that good and she's scared out of her mind, I'm pretty sure she won't ask that question to the CO. My husband and I have stopped telling them what to expect when they come here because they seriously don't like what they're hearing from us. For starter's her husband's PCC is going to be an issue.

The husband is taking proof of assets (they're in his name) that should help them avoid the co-sponsor issue, right?

The interview is next Monday. Her English isn't all that good and she's scared out of her mind, I'm pretty sure she won't ask that question to the CO. My husband and I have stopped telling them what to expect when they come here because they seriously don't like what they're hearing from us. For starter's her husband's PCC is going to be an issue.

The husband is taking proof of assets (they're in his name) that should help them avoid the co-sponsor issue, right?

She's the one who won right? I think technically she is supposed to be able to qualify herself but I'm not actually sure how they view the assets thing. Hopefully they'll be ok. But it's worrying that they seem like they would be coming over unwilling to hear reality.

Well Susie they're choosing the reality they want to hear, like the DV winners that told them they will get money every month because they have kids. I'm not sure if this thing even exists but it sounds very fishy. Regardless of the mess I wish them the best of luck. I will definitely come back with an update of their interview.

And they got the visas! No AP, no co-sponsors needed...they didn't even ask the spouse for his missing PCC ohmy.png

I'm happy things worked out for them just rather surprised the CO didn't ask about the PCC..I thought that was going to be a major issue. I don't know how it is for DV's but they were told to keep checking the website for updates.

Wow... Seems like there are some holes in some of the interview processes, but glad they got the visas. Just hope they're not too disappointed when they don't get the free money they're hoping for!

• 3 weeks later...

So if they received the Congratulations Letter from the embassy stating their visa's have been approved, why did the CO keep the original documents? For further verification? They still didn't get their passports back even though CO told them "it will take 4 days". (Letter says 2 weeks). Can something go wrong NOW? o.O

So if they received the Congratulations Letter from the embassy stating their visa's have been approved, why did the CO keep the original documents? For further verification? They still didn't get their passports back even though CO told them "it will take 4 days". (Letter says 2 weeks). Can something go wrong NOW? o.O

I have heard of embassies keeping original docs for further verification, though the only people who can answer properly are the embassy. Perhaps they've figured out what he said doesn't tie up with the DS230, but then they should have contacted him and told him he needs to submit a police report.

What does their case status on the CEAC tracker say?

Edited by SusieQQQ

When I asked her that question she told me they get "invalid case number"...I even tried from here and that's the same message I got. So I called her and asked specifically what happened on the day of the interview and after:

1. The CO approved them and gave them letter.

2. They did NOT leave the passports at the embassy after which CO gave them white form indicating on it to send passports when they returned.

3. Idiot agent told them to wait 2 weeks until they receive confirmation to send passports(I guess he meant via the tracker)

4. The 2 weeks mark was 4 days ago and they started checking website to get "invalid case number".

Told her to send the passports because it seems the embassy is waiting on them (as instructed by the CO) and to forget about the stupid agent.

I guess in a couple of days they can check the tracker? It will NOW show updates?

I just wish people give you all the info before dramatizing urgh!

Edited by Louza

When I asked her that question she told me they get "invalid case number"...I even tried from here and that's the same message I got. So I called her and asked specifically what happened on the day of the interview and after:

1. The CO approved them and gave them letter.

2. They did NOT leave the passports at the embassy after which CO gave them white form indicating on it to send passports when they returned.

3. Idiot agent told them to wait 2 weeks until they receive confirmation to send passports(I guess he meant via the tracker)

4. The 2 weeks mark was 4 days ago and they started checking website to get "invalid case number".

Told her to send the passports because it seems the embassy is waiting on them (as instructed by the CO) and to forget about the stupid agent.

I guess in a couple of days they can check the tracker? It will NOW show updates?

I just wish people give you all the info before dramatizing urgh!

The tracker should be working from as soon as the interview has been scheduled as far as I know (when it should say "ready"). Did you leave out the zeros before the number?

It's strange they didn't leave the passports at the embassy if they weren't placed on AP - is that the usual procedure at this embassy?

I did it with zeros and without and I got the same invalid immigrant visa case number message on both occassions. To be honest they could have left the passports (the CO was insisting actually) but they chose not to and I don't know why. I even told them about my experience where I got a travel document from my embassy in Cairo to be able to go back home. Figured by leaving my passport with the CO it would be easier and stress free..they didn't listen to me as usual and now we have to deal with the panic of "why isn't the website working"???

Edited by Louza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.