fveoh69

Question about the 90 day period to get married..

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

It’s been awhile but my girl finally came home from brazil about a month ago! So we are getting married in October which will be within the 90 days to get married. I have a couple of questions about this 90 day period. The 90 days to get married starts when she arrives in the USA correct? Also, do we have to file our paperwork before the 90 days or just get married? Does it matter when we file the paper work which is the permanent residence I guess? Thanks guys.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 process to Family-based AOS Forum~

~Inquirer is past K-1 and AOS-related inquiry~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

It’s been awhile but my girl finally came home from brazil about a month ago! So we are getting married in October which will be within the 90 days to get married. I have a couple of questions about this 90 day period. The 90 days to get married starts when she arrives in the USA correct? Also, do we have to file our paperwork before the 90 days or just get married? Does it matter when we file the paper work which is the permanent residence I guess? Thanks guys.

Yes, the 90 days begin upon her arrival in the US. I would not recommend you wait until the last minute to do so. You need not file for AOS within the 90 days, but remembering that is the reason you applied for her K-1 in the first place, I would strongly suggest that you do it as soon as you receive the certified copy of your marriage certificate. AOS can be lengthy and annoying so get started as early as you can and get your wife settled with the law.

Congrats!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Married first on or before 90 days.. If you get your marriage license then you can file AOS..

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Thanks guys I guess the question was do i have to file the AOS before the 90 days as well.. Of course i want to file as soon as possible so she can work and all that good stuff. Just wanted to make sure I didint have to do all that before the 90 days as well. Thanks!

Just to reconfirm, you do not have to file AOS within the 90 days.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes, the 90 days begin upon her arrival in the US. I would not recommend you wait until the last minute to do so. You need not file for AOS within the 90 days, but remembering that is the reason you applied for her K-1 in the first place, I would strongly suggest that you do it as soon as you receive the certified copy of your marriage certificate. AOS can be lengthy and annoying so get started as early as you can and get your wife settled with the law.

Congrats!

:thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.