Necrotica

Bank letter question as it pertains to the Montréal Consulate...

17 posts in this topic

Hey, everyone. I'm hoping those of you who have gone through the Montréal Consulate can tell me if they looked at your bank letter or not.

My bank (U.S. Bank) claims they do not keep easily-accessible records of deposits made in a year's time, thus they cannot produce the letter I need for the Affidavit of Support unless I pay something like $20 researching fee per statement. I'd need 9 of them since only the last 90 days' worth of statements are kept online. That would equal $180, if my calculations are correct. No way am I paying that.

The lady at the bank told me that if I want to calculate the figure myself from my check stubs and get back to her with an amount, she'll write the letter for me. I could do this, but it's not going to be completely accurate since I know my parents have given me small amounts during the year and I have no proof of those transactions whatsoever. They're amounts that won't make any impact whatsoever if they're left off the bank letter, but it makes me a little nervous nonetheless. I want to be able to back up that amount with proof of accuracy.

So, my question is... when you had your interview, did you need the bank letter?

Here's what I have thus far:

- Notarized I-134

- 3 years of IRS transcripts

- Employer letter (been working there 3 months so far, if that matters)

- Pay stubs (which I will certainly have many more by the time my fiancé gets his interview date)

I do make more than 150% of the poverty guidelines... more than twice than the poverty guidelines, actually, so I'm hoping I can possibly forego the letter.

Also, unrelated... how long does it take to get a birth certificate in Montréal? That's where my fiancé lives (just 2 blocks from the Consulate... we're lucky in that respect). He's set to get his Packet 3 any day now, and the only thing we don't have yet (other than my bank letter) is that. I'm hoping it'll be quick enough to get that we can just check it off on the checklist and send it back to the Consulate and get it in time for the interview.

Sorry for such a drawn-out post. It's 2 am and my mind isn't all here anymore, hehe. Thanks in advance for your help.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

A lot of people have trouble getting a letter from their bank stating exactly what's asked for. But if you get a notarized letter from them showing how much is on deposit now, that's probably good evidence. Also, if you have some current monthly statements, that's further evidence.

Even though you meet the income requirements, I wouldn't show up with nothing from the bank, hoping you won't be asked. I'd spend $20 and get some kind of letter from them about your assets. (But I'm overly cautious.)

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Other Timeline

Do you keep your bank statements at least? Most people have gotten by just fine with the statements and pay stubs, because most banks can't be arsed to do the letters. If you can at least get them to write a letter that says "as of this date there is $XXX in this account, and this account was opened on XX date" signed your friendly bank manager, should be ok. And include statements and pay stubs.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiancee also had trouble with her bank. Bank of America (hers, at least) gave her a letter with:

- Current balance

- Average balance

- Date opened

At the bottom, it says, "If total amount deposited or withdrawn in the above accounts is requested for the past twelve months, please refer to copies of bank statements."

The problem we had was the same one you're having - my fiancee doesn't have any bank statements, because she went for the paperless (electronic) account option. So there's no way for her to get the statements (they don't keep 12 months' worth, online) unless she pays $20 per statement or something, and we just can't afford that.

So, here's what we did. Keep in mind that my interview's this Friday, so I will let you all know how well it worked:

First of all, my fiancee wrote a letter explaining the issue.

"Because I do all of my banking online, I do not have paper copies of any of my bank account statements. I have included a printout of my YTD earnings at <job>, as well as a paycheck model of my bi-weekly paycheck showing my deductions for taxes and insurance. My paychecks are also paperless, and are direct deposited into my checking account.

My YTD total with <job> is <amount> before tax, with <amount> in deductions. Prior to my employment with <job>, I was with <former employer>."

Then, she got her payroll department to make a paycheck model showing her year totals, how much she pays for company insurance benefits, etc. Then she went to http://www.paycheckcity.com/ and got it to calculate her 'take-home' pay (it deducts taxes, social security, medicare, dental, medical, vision, etc). She printed this out.

So, in total, we've got the affidavit of support, plus the bank letter, plus an additional letter from my fiancee explaining the situation, her paycheck model, and the printout from paycheckcity.com.

Hopefully this'll be enough to satisfy them. I'll let you know!

My fiancee also had trouble with her bank. Bank of America (hers, at least) gave her a letter with:

- Current balance

- Average balance

- Date opened

At the bottom, it says, "If total amount deposited or withdrawn in the above accounts is requested for the past twelve months, please refer to copies of bank statements."

The problem we had was the same one you're having - my fiancee doesn't have any bank statements, because she went for the paperless (electronic) account option. So there's no way for her to get the statements (they don't keep 12 months' worth, online) unless she pays $20 per statement or something, and we just can't afford that.

So, here's what we did. Keep in mind that my interview's this Friday, so I will let you all know how well it worked:

First of all, my fiancee wrote a letter explaining the issue.

"Because I do all of my banking online, I do not have paper copies of any of my bank account statements. I have included a printout of my YTD earnings at <job>, as well as a paycheck model of my bi-weekly paycheck showing my deductions for taxes and insurance. My paychecks are also paperless, and are direct deposited into my checking account.

My YTD total with <job> is <amount> before tax, with <amount> in deductions. Prior to my employment with <job>, I was with <former employer>."

Then, she got her payroll department to make a paycheck model showing her year totals, how much she pays for company insurance benefits, etc. Then she went to http://www.paycheckcity.com/ and got it to calculate her 'take-home' pay (it deducts taxes, social security, medicare, dental, medical, vision, etc). She printed this out.

So, in total, we've got the affidavit of support, plus the bank letter, plus an additional letter from my fiancee explaining the situation, her paycheck model, and the printout from paycheckcity.com.

Hopefully this'll be enough to satisfy them. I'll let you know!

That's exactly how it goes in my situation, too. Since I do my banking online, I'm also paperless and only have the last 90 days' worth of statements online and they want to charge me for the rest of the year's worth.

I wonder if it would help for me to start printing out my statements starting now. My fiancé hasn't even gotten Packet 3 yet, so it'll probably take a few months for him to get his interview. If I get 6 months of statements to send to him, maybe that would also help.

Good luck at the interview!

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

Adjustment of status:

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

Removal of conditions:

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My affividit of support was fine. I did not have a letter from my bank. I gave my fiance 3 paystubs, A letter from my employer with my salary, and 3 years of tax transcripts. Everything was fine in the finance department.

12/29/06-entered USA

1/03/07 Married

AOS JOURNEY BEGINS.....

1/4/07-mailed AOS/EAD

1/5/07-AOS/EAD received at Chicago Lockbox

1/13/07-NOA 1 (dated 1/9/07)

1/15/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/16/07-touched

1/22/07-touched

1/23/07-email stating rfe is coming :(

1/24/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/28/07-AOS touched

1/30/07-Biometrics appointment

1/31/07- mail RFE to Missouri

2/1/07-AOS/EAD touched

2/6/07-Processing on case resumes!!!

2/16/07-Transferred to California Service Center

2/20/07-Touched

2/26/07-Case pending at California Service Center

2/27/07-touched

3/2/07-touched

3/5/07-touched

3/8/07-touched

3/8/07-GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!! My wonderful birthday gift

3/14/07-Green card in hands

Note to self...... Lift conditions 12/08

Timeline

They took my bank letter from my fiance's bank when I was in Montreal last month. He also had difficultly obtaining a letter and also asked for the $20/month search fees but he took a copy of his statements to the bank manager and a letter draft and asked them to do it and they finally did. But it was a major pain and negotiation.

Good Luck.

Linda

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Aug 14 2006 ~RFE (further proof of meeting)

Aug 18 2006 ~Approved NOA2 (Day 120)

Oct 10 2006 ~packet 4 received

Nov 14 2006 ~Montreal interview (expedited due to child aging out) SUCCESS :)

Nov 15 2006 ~Pick up visas

Nov 16 2006 ~Fly to San Francisco from Mtl

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 18 2006 ~Documents filed

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

Jan 10 2007 ~Biometrics appointment

Mar 07 2007 ~AOS interview San Francisco-SUCCESS :)

Mar 19 2007 ~Received Green Cards

I-130 for Daughter

July 28 2007 ~Documents filed

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess I bank with a very accomodating bank. Mine gave me just what I needed, even though I do online banking too. The banks should have records, regardless of what type banking you do. I don't know why some banks are such hardazzes to work with. When my bank associate knew what I was doing and why I wanted it, she was more than happy to create such a letter for me.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

We didn't have a letter from the bank. Just printed out the last statement showing the current balance.

Of course, we had other stuff (tax returns, affidavit, a pay stub abd letter from employer...)

oops - we didn't go through Montreal. I missed that part. nevahmind.

Edited by hockeygal

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My bank filled in a standard form they have. It's a one-pager with room to report 3 different accounts. They get asked for this information all the time, especially when people are qualifying for mortgages.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Im living in Montreal and last time I ordered a birth certificate I just mailed the form that I printed off the internet and I received it within 2 weeks.

He can dowload the form here birth certificate

On a quick note, if his birth was registered in french like me, all he's gonna get is a french BC. Then hes gonna have to have it translated. I had a translator doing it and he got it notarized for 17$. If you need the contact illl be glad to send it to you :)

Mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Im living in Montreal and last time I ordered a birth certificate I just mailed the form that I printed off the internet and I received it within 2 weeks.

On a quick note, if his birth was registered in french like me, all he's gonna get is a french BC. Then hes gonna have to have it translated. I had a translator doing it and he got it notarized for 17$. If you need the contact illl be glad to send it to you :)

Mephys

Sure! Thanks! Yeah, all his parents spoke was French, so it'll definitely be in French. He keeps insisting that he can get it in English, but I'll take that contact for him in the case he ends up being wrong. :P

Update: I went to a different bank branch, and the "Universal Banker" there is going to do the letter. It's going to cost me $30/hour, though... gods, if it's more than an hour, I'm going to have a heart attack.

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

Adjustment of status:

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

*headdesk*:

02/19/09 - NOA1

Removal of conditions:

Mephys

Sure! Thanks! Yeah, all his parents spoke was French, so it'll definitely be in French. He keeps insisting that he can get it in English, but I'll take that contact for him in the case he ends up being wrong. :P

Oh please believe me. Tell this to your fiance. Im 100% french ( ok getting americanized now:P ) . I sent to the Directeur de l'etat civil a english form to obtain 2 birth certificate in english and I added a note saying that both BC must be in english for US immigration purpose and that I would not accept it in french. Then 2 weeks and 30$ later, I received 2 BC in french. I called twice and had the same answer twice from dumb people, they told me that they never do that cause its the law, they cant deliver official papers in a language that is not the one in which it was filled in the first place. So I asked why nobody called me to inform me of that instead of sending something I didnt ask for, nobody could answer me and I was told they never refund. Finally I ended up asking by e-mail and a nice lady told me to write them a letter explaining the situation and why I was complaining, including both certificates. And finally 4 weeks later I received a credit on my credit card.

So they answer is no, hes never gonna get one :P, I tried believe me. I figured since its a bilingual province that this could be done, but no.

Just have him order a french BC if he doesnt have one already ( I already had one so thats why I returned the other ones) and have him translated. Again I can refer you someone that can do it and have it notarized.

The link I gave you is the one to get a BC, cause its gonna be delievered in french for him anyways. Even if he prints the form in english like I did :P

Mephys :)

Edited by Mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was asked for all documents I wanted to submit as evidence, one of which was the bank letter Jerry sent me. We had an easier time of it since we use a relatively small credit union.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Oh please believe me. Tell this to your fiance. Im 100% french ( ok getting americanized now:P ) . I sent to the Directeur de l'etat civil a english form to obtain 2 birth certificate in english and I added a note saying that both BC must be in english for US immigration purpose and that I would not accept it in french. Then 2 weeks and 30$ later, I received 2 BC in french. I called twice and had the same answer twice from dumb people, they told me that they never do that cause its the law, they cant deliver official papers in a language that is not the one in which it was filled in the first place. So I asked why nobody called me to inform me of that instead of sending something I didnt ask for, nobody could answer me and I was told they never refund. Finally I ended up asking by e-mail and a nice lady told me to write them a letter explaining the situation and why I was complaining, including both certificates. And finally 4 weeks later I received a credit on my credit card.

So they answer is no, hes never gonna get one :P, I tried believe me. I figured since its a bilingual province that this could be done, but no.

Just have him order a french BC if he doesnt have one already ( I already had one so thats why I returned the other ones) and have him translated. Again I can refer you someone that can do it and have it notarized.

The link I gave you is the one to get a BC, cause its gonna be delievered in french for him anyways. Even if he prints the form in english like I did :P

Mephys :)

Oh, I believe you. It's just that he doesn't believe me! He'll find out once he gets the birth certificate, I guess.

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

Adjustment of status:

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

*headdesk*:

02/19/09 - NOA1

Removal of conditions:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.