Cristy

US vs Canada

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have 3 kids who will be moving to the US with me. I am a bit concerned about schooling. I have not been given any clear answers as to what grade they will be in. I assumed it would be the same grade, but have been told they may need to test because they may be ahead or behind.

I would like to hear from anyone who has gone from Canada to the US with kids.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

Sorry, can't help you much. I am wondering the same thing. My oldest will hopefully be attending school in the US in September. I am hoping she will not have to repeat her present grade level. Have you tryed contacting the school district where your children will attend school? Good luck!

Our timeline

Vermont Service Center

( Feb 16, 2005) I- 30 sent

( March 24, 2005 )130 approved

NVC

( April 22, 2005) Case # assigned

(May 2, 2005 ) 3032 and I-864 generated/ mailed

(May 9, 2005) received 3032

(May 11, 2005) mailed back 3032 to NVC

(May 16, 2005 ) 3032 at NVC

(May 16, 2005) I-864 fee sent to NVC

(May 23, 2005) IVF generated and mailed to beneficiary

(May 31, 2005) IVF received

(June 15, 2005) IVF sent back to NVC

( June 15, 2005) I-864 received by petitioner

( June 27, 2005)230 generated/mailed to me

( July 04, 2005) receive 230

( Dec 27, 2005) 230 sent back to NVC

( Jan, 03, 2006) NVC receives 230 part 1 and 2

( Feb, 08, 2006) I-864 sent back to NVC

( Feb, 15, 2006) NVC receives I-864

( Feb, 16, 2006) RFE sent to Petitioner regarding I-864

( Feb, 28, 2006) petioner receives RFE for I-864

( April 13, 2006) NVC mails out new I-864 checklist letter

(April19, 2006) Petitioner receives I-864 checklist letter

(April, 20, 2006) I-864 checklist sent back to NVC

(April, 24, 2006 NVC receives I-864 checklist

(April, 28, 2006) Case completed!

(July, 05, 2006) Medical exam

(July, 07, 2006) Case sent to Montreal

(July, 14, 2006) received interview letter

(Aug, 04, 2006) interview in Montreal- successful

(Aug, 09, 2006) received visa in mail!

(Jan, 12, 2007) I finally entered the USA! New Jersey here I am!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Cristy and Mermaid....do you have your children's records from their previous schools? The school where they will attend will definately want to see their scores (i.e. any grades or testings they've done). From my experience, they will most likely look at that to determine where they'll be placed. If testing is needed they will most likely inform you right then, when you register them. Unless they are seriously behind academically, I doubt they will be placed below their current grade level. BUT, keep in mind, this is just MY opinion...the only experience I've had with kids being registered from a different country were the few that have come in to my school from Mexico and Guatemala...and they didnt speak English, so we had to place them as best we could.

Just make sure you have all their school records, birth cert, immunizations, and if you've had to get permission from your ex to bring them to the US, might ought to have that too. If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Hope this helps :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My son started school here in August/05. He graded from grade 10 in Canada, but when he got to the school here they put him in grade 9 :angry: Needless to say I took him out of that school. They told me the credit system is different then in Canada. There was no way that I was making my 16 year old son go back to grade 9 after already completing that grade plus grade 10 at home.

So he left that school and is now in GED classes to get his grade 12. Not what we had hoped for as I wanted him to graduate from high school, but I wasnt making him go back two grades. To me that is taking steps backwards instead of forward. Plus the teachers at his school were always rubbing it in his face where he was from. Saying they didnt care that he was from Canada. Making fun of him cause he didnt know the American Athem. Dam I dont even know that. Just like those kids or teachers wouldnt know our Athem if they came to Canada. Another thing that the teachers did was make fun of him in front of the other students there. My son hated it there. Told me he sat by himself at lunch that noone talked to him. That broke my heart hearing the ####### he was going thru at that school so I took him out. Now this is just our experience from the school down here. Which is suppose to be one of the better schools here. Yeh right.

We even called the school board and they never returned my calls. I left tons of messages and never heard a thing back. So thats our story. Not all schools are like this I am sure. We just got the shitty end of the stick at that school. I guess they didnt care about him cause he aint American. Sad but true. So good luck to anyone that has to put there kids in a new school. I think it will be easier for smaller kids to start a new school. It just wasnt a good experience for us................ :no:

Edited by pink_roses

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Timeline

Yikes not a good experience at all! My kids are a little worried. Their school now is K-8 with less than 300 students. My twins will be in a school that is K-6 with over 600 and my oldest should be in a middle school (7&8) with 1200 kids and uniforms!!

I would hate to think they would be made fun of for not knowing American things like the anthem or Presidents. We are working on it a bit right now. Spelling concerns me too because we do have a few differences.

I hope they do not put them back a grade. I feel it would be an added stress they don't need...new home, new country, new family...

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*July 28 2006 - married!

Timeline
My son started school here in August/05. He graded from grade 10 in Canada, but when he got to the school here they put him in grade 9 :angry: Needless to say I took him out of that school. They told me the credit system is different then in Canada. There was no way that I was making my 16 year old son go back to grade 9 after already completing that grade plus grade 10 at home.

So he left that school and is now in GED classes to get his grade 12. Not what we had hoped for as I wanted him to graduate from high school, but I wasnt making him go back two grades. To me that is taking steps backwards instead of forward. Plus the teachers at his school were always rubbing it in his face where he was from. Saying they didnt care that he was from Canada. Making fun of him cause he didnt know the American Athem. Dam I dont even know that. Just like those kids or teachers wouldnt know our Athem if they came to Canada. Another thing that the teachers did was make fun of him in front of the other students there. My son hated it there. Told me he sat by himself at lunch that noone talked to him. That broke my heart hearing the ####### he was going thru at that school so I took him out. No this is just our experience from the school down here. Which is suppose to be one of the better schools here. Yeh right.

We even called the school board and they never returned my calls. I left tons of messages and never heard a thing back. So thats our story. Not all schools are like this I am sure. We just got the shitty end of the stick at that school. I guess they didnt care about him cause he aint American. Sad but true. So good luck to anyone that has to put there kids in a new school. I think it will be easier for smaller kids to start a new school. It just wasnt a good experience for us................ :no:

:angry: Now that makes me mad....that was totally uncalled for....especially from the teachers. I don't blame you one bit for taking him out! You are right though, not all schools are like that and I have to brag about ours...we have one of the best around as far as teachers and staff. I know he would have been welcomed here. I do know you and your son would have been treated with way more respect than he got there at that school. Makes me wanna write to them, as a fellow educator, and tell their arses off!!!! How dare they treat a student like that! (steam comin out my ears!)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Yeh it wasnt a good experience that is for sure. I felt so bad for my son. He couldnt sleep at nite worrying about going there everyday, and I lay awake at nite questioning me bringing him here to put him thru this ####### :(

So I just hope that everyone elses experiences are better than what we went thru. He just hated going there everyday knowing he would have to face all that ###### thrown in his face. He was so good to go to school at home too. I would call him once to get him up and he would be up and in the shower. He liked going to school at home.

Your right Cristy we didnt need this extra stress in our lives. Moving to a new Country at the age of 16 for a child is hard enough. He left all his family and friends behind so he could be with me. Hes my youngest son and is very close to me.

I just wish you all good luck with the schools and your children :D

PEGGY & ROGER

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had a good experience with my son in Grade 5 and my daughter as a Sophomore, grade 10. He moved in October and was placed in the same grade he was in Canada. He is, however, the youngest cause of the cut off date for birthdays. In Ontario, it's the calendar year. Academically my son is well ahead of the standards here. The school board and staff were attentive and very willing to discuss his needs.

The high school proved to be more challenging in switching from one system to the other. The school here works under a 'traditional system'...same classes all year whereas the one in Ontario was semesters. She completed her first semester then moved at the beginning of Feb. here. There was no testing but because she had already missed the first 4 weeks of the second term here, my daughter was placed in grade 9 and 10 math as the principal believed she would not be prepared for the Junior year math here. Within a few weeks she has since proven she is far beyond the standards here and has been allowed to 'clip' out of some courses, obtain the credits and advance in grade. They have accepted the credits she attained in Canada and in fact will probably graduate with more credits then that are required.

Moving into a small town have made my children somewhat of a novelty to their friends...the pronounciation of some words, idioms...Imperial vs. Metric etc etc.

Timeline

Your lucky then.

Thats good to hear :yes:

PEGGY & ROGER

Timeline

Ohhhhh I did not even think of the imperial metric thing. I had thought of the Fahrenheit Celsius and we are working on that. Lots to learn!

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*July 28 2006 - married!

Timeline

Yup, totally different then in Canada.

PEGGY & ROGER

Timeline

This is from an Ontario HS teacher/guidance counsellor who has worked with kids moving to the US and moving to Canada, and trying to get hired in the NY public school system as well as attend post secondary education. I'm afraid I have not much good to say and many cautions. My comments below are based on my experiences only.

- here in US, it is assumed that the education system is superior to EVERY OTHER country in the world

- actually, many US students are BEHIND, think 2 years difference

- do NOT put up with BS - have them TEST your child for math and English Language (reading, writing) skills. Many states have grade by grade level testing now (NY does) the conversions for math are no big deal

- kids who are too "SMART" for the grade they are in WILL be bored which will result in behaviour problems, perhaps dropping out, hating school, etc

- do NOT put up with the school board ignoring you, it is easier for them to do that, but you HAVE to do what's best for your kids - school has such an important influence on them, especially when they move, and you want it to be a good one

- document, document, document - educators pay attention to paper - know who you spoke to when, for how long and what you discussed

This situation is one that frustrates me greatly on many levels since I'm dealing with it in several contexts.

If you need specific info, please PM me.

Edited by daisy16

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Timeline
This is from an Ontario HS teacher/guidance counsellor who has worked with kids moving to the US and moving to Canada, and trying to get hired in the NY public school system as well as attend post secondary education. I'm afraid I have not much good to say and many cautions. My comments below are based on my experiences only.

- here in US, it is assumed that the education system is superior to EVERY OTHER country in the world

- actually, many US students are BEHIND, think 2 years difference

- do NOT put up with BS - have them TEST your child for math and English Language (reading, writing) skills. Many states have grade by grade level testing now (NY does) the conversions for math are no big deal

- kids who are too "SMART" for the grade they are in WILL be bored which will result in behaviour problems, perhaps dropping out, hating school, etc

- do NOT put up with the school board ignoring you, it is easier for them to do that, but you HAVE to do what's best for your kids - school has such an important influence on them, especially when they move, and you want it to be a good one

- document, document, document - educators pay attention to paper - know who you spoke to when, for how long and what you discussed

This situation is one that frustrates me greatly on many levels since I'm dealing with it in several contexts.

If you need specific info, please PM me.

I agree! I teach in the same system that my daughter attends...and I've had to be on top of things where her education is concerned. Granted we have a great school system, but you still have the occasional teacher that you have to stay on top of. My daughter is in special education classes and that's where I have to stay on top of things. No school system is perfect and certainly NOT here in the US (regardless of what the masses think!) Parents have to be proactive in their kids education. When administration doesn't listen, document. When the teacher won't listen, document. Like Daisy....document, document, document. Paper speaks very loud sometimes :) Write down dates and names when you talk to anyone within the school system.

Good luck Cristy :)