CJ&Jum

AP Validity

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Ok, given the following scenario, how long is the AP good for: K-1 holder enters the U.S., gets married to fiance, applies for AOS and AP immediately, AOS pending but AP is approved. 1) How long is AP good for? 2) If there is an expected extended time outside of the US, let's say 3-4 months (AOS pending and approved for AP) Is this ok for the person to do?

Jul. 22, 04-Jum and I met in Thailand.

Jul. 21, 05-I-129F arrives at TSC

Aug. 23, 05-NOA1 Notice Date

Aug. 27, 05-NOA1 arrives in mail

Oct. 13, 05-NOA2 confirmed by email

Oct. 18, 05-NOA2 received in mail

Oct. 24, 05-NVC letter received

Nov. 18, 05-Packet 3 received

Dec. 15, 05-Police Record/Medical/Interview Assigned

Feb. 5, 06-C.J.& Jum together in Thailand

Feb. 7, 06-Interview Day-APPROVED! (6 1/2 months)

Feb. 11, 06-Engagement Ceremony

May 8, 06-POE JFK, Temp. EAD Received

May 18, 06-Apply for SS#, Jun. 18, 06-Receive SS Card

Jul. 3, 06-Married!

AOS Journey

Aug. 10, 06-AOS Package Sent

Aug. 18, 06-AOS, AP, EAD Receipt Notice Date

Aug. 28, 06-Received AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

Aug. 28, 06-I-485 transfer to CSC

Sep. 13, 06-CSC received AOS

Sep. 14, 06-AOS/EAD Biometrics

Sep. 15, 06-AOS Touched #1

Sep. 26, 06-AOS Touched #2

Sep. 27, 06-AOS Touched #3

Sep. 28, 06-Email notice of Welcome Letter mailed! (AOS Day 40)

Oct. 2, 06-Welcome letter received

Oct. 3, 06-Email notification of approval notice mailed.

Oct. 5, 06-Green card received.

Oct. 7, 06-NC Driver License Received

I-751 Timeline

Sep. 8, 08-I-751 Arrives at VSC

Sep. 11, 08-I-751 NOA1 Received

Nov. 14, 08-Biometrics Appointment

EVERYTHING APPROVED at the end of Dec. 2008, finally.

Jul 10, 11-Citizenship application submitted.

Feb. 16, 12-CITIZENSHIP GRANTED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Off hand I don't know how long it is good for, but one problem with staying outside the country so long is that at some point, you will be required to show up for your biometrics appointment for your AOS, and potentially another biometrics appointment for EAD.

Sent 129F to Nebraska on Feb. 1

Received Feb. 4

NOA1 received Feb. 11

NOA2 online April 19th. (Day 74)

NOA2 received snail mail April 25th. (Day 80)

Letter from <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> arrived on May 9th.

Packet 3 sent in July 22nd.

Packet 4 received July 29th.

Interview scheduled for Sept. 14th.

VISA approved Sept. 14th!!

Belinda enters the U.S. on Oct. 16th, with me, in Blaine, WA

Marraige on November 18

AOS, <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->, and AP sent November 18

NOA1 for AOS, AP, but <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> returned, we forgot line 16 (December 2)

<!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> re-sent December 5th.

I-751 sent to Nebraska, March 25, 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Upon looking over some info on the government site I did see that an extended absence past 6 months outside of the U.S. will not qualify as time applied towards the residency requirement but I still could not find specific information for the length of time that the AP has to be used within and how long one can stay outside of the country on AP.

Jul. 22, 04-Jum and I met in Thailand.

Jul. 21, 05-I-129F arrives at TSC

Aug. 23, 05-NOA1 Notice Date

Aug. 27, 05-NOA1 arrives in mail

Oct. 13, 05-NOA2 confirmed by email

Oct. 18, 05-NOA2 received in mail

Oct. 24, 05-NVC letter received

Nov. 18, 05-Packet 3 received

Dec. 15, 05-Police Record/Medical/Interview Assigned

Feb. 5, 06-C.J.& Jum together in Thailand

Feb. 7, 06-Interview Day-APPROVED! (6 1/2 months)

Feb. 11, 06-Engagement Ceremony

May 8, 06-POE JFK, Temp. EAD Received

May 18, 06-Apply for SS#, Jun. 18, 06-Receive SS Card

Jul. 3, 06-Married!

AOS Journey

Aug. 10, 06-AOS Package Sent

Aug. 18, 06-AOS, AP, EAD Receipt Notice Date

Aug. 28, 06-Received AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

Aug. 28, 06-I-485 transfer to CSC

Sep. 13, 06-CSC received AOS

Sep. 14, 06-AOS/EAD Biometrics

Sep. 15, 06-AOS Touched #1

Sep. 26, 06-AOS Touched #2

Sep. 27, 06-AOS Touched #3

Sep. 28, 06-Email notice of Welcome Letter mailed! (AOS Day 40)

Oct. 2, 06-Welcome letter received

Oct. 3, 06-Email notification of approval notice mailed.

Oct. 5, 06-Green card received.

Oct. 7, 06-NC Driver License Received

I-751 Timeline

Sep. 8, 08-I-751 Arrives at VSC

Sep. 11, 08-I-751 NOA1 Received

Nov. 14, 08-Biometrics Appointment

EVERYTHING APPROVED at the end of Dec. 2008, finally.

Jul 10, 11-Citizenship application submitted.

Feb. 16, 12-CITIZENSHIP GRANTED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are outside the country and miss the interview or biometrics, you might not be let in at all. Others could tell you more. And if you are outside the country, you may not even be aware that you got appointments for biometrics or the AOS interview.

Our AOS interview is about 4 months after we got married, and her biometrics was about 3 months after we got married. You have to be around for those, no exceptions, especially the interview. If you miss that, they will asume you are abandoning your application, and you will have to start over again.

Sent 129F to Nebraska on Feb. 1

Received Feb. 4

NOA1 received Feb. 11

NOA2 online April 19th. (Day 74)

NOA2 received snail mail April 25th. (Day 80)

Letter from <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> arrived on May 9th.

Packet 3 sent in July 22nd.

Packet 4 received July 29th.

Interview scheduled for Sept. 14th.

VISA approved Sept. 14th!!

Belinda enters the U.S. on Oct. 16th, with me, in Blaine, WA

Marraige on November 18

AOS, <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->, and AP sent November 18

NOA1 for AOS, AP, but <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> returned, we forgot line 16 (December 2)

<!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> re-sent December 5th.

I-751 sent to Nebraska, March 25, 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Funnily enough, this is being discussed in another thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=4760&hl=

AP is valid for a year from issuance. You will not find a specific answer to "how long can you stay out of the country" from USCIS. Believe me, I tried! My mom was diagnosed with cancer in the middle of the AOS process, and I was pretty frantic looking around for answers. The best I came up with is a month. I waited until I had my biometrics over with, and then went home for three weeks to be with my parents to help out. I really wanted to stay longer, but decided against it. It really and truly was the only time I was completely frustrated with the immigration process.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline

CJ&Jum,

1) Typically 1 year, especially if muti-trip was requested, but may be less.

2) No, there is fixed limit on time outside the US, other than be back for the AOS biometrics and interview, for any other applications that may be active that require your physical participateion, or before the AP document expires.

Yodrak

Ok, given the following scenario, how long is the AP good for: K-1 holder enters the U.S., gets married to fiance, applies for AOS and AP immediately, AOS pending but AP is approved. 1) How long is AP good for? 2) If there is an expected extended time outside of the US, let's say 3-4 months (AOS pending and approved for AP) Is this ok for the person to do?

CJ&Jum,

Not relevant - such things begin when LPR status has been granted. All time before becoming an LPR doesn't count for anything whether the person is in the country or out.

Yodrak

Upon looking over some info on the government site I did see that an extended absence past 6 months outside of the U.S. will not qualify as time applied towards the residency requirement .....
Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.