dream3r

AOS for L1 after marriage out of US

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me. I am a L1B visa holder currently in the US. My fiance (USC) and I are planning to get married soon. The plan was to have register our marriage here in the US, after I return to US from my home country (1 month vacation) in Nov.

My company (a MNC) is aware of my intention to marry and immigrate, and part of my company's local (home country) requirement is that I need to show proof of that intent (maybe they do not want too loose any headcount or for whatever reason that I dont understand) - the proof being a marriage cert. So the HR suggested, why don't I register my marriage in my home country, this helps expedite the processing within the company (nothing to do with US immigration law/regulation, just a policy within the company)

If it makes things easier and pull my applications ahead (1-2months) and won't jeopardize my intent to AOS after marriage, I don't mind registering my marriage in my home country.

So, my question is, Can a L1 visa holder go for AOS, after registering her/his marriage outside of US? I am well aware of L1's dual intent and everything related to it.

Summary: register marriage out of US -> Return to US on L1 -> allowed to file for AOS?

Otherwise i will just stick to my initial plan = Return to US on L1 -> Register marriage in US -> File for AOS.

Please advice, I just got this bit of information and I have to make a decision before I head back home in 2.5 weeks, just hate getting last minute notices, sends me into panic mode. sigh

AOS approved on 7/31/2014. Took 116 days.

ROC approved on 10/26/2017. Took 463 days / 15 months 2 weeks.

07/12/16 Package (I-751) sent to CSC through USPS Priority Mail Express (Overnight)
07/13/16
(Day 001) USCIS confirmed receipt.
07/15/16
(Day 003) Personal check cashed out.

07/18/16 (Day 006) NOA1 (mail) received. NOA dated 07/13/16.

07/21/16 (Day 009) NOA2 (mail) received. NOA2 for biometrics, ASC appointment notice.

08/04/16 (Day 023) Biometrics appointment . Done!

07/05/17 (Day 358) Infopass appointment for I-551 stamp on passport.

07/14/2017 (Day 367) still waiting for approval.... ugghh...

10/13/2017 (Day 458) CSC processing time is current.

10/18/2017 (Day 465) Filed service request with USCIS Customer Service.

10/26/2017 (Day 463) Received email alert. Card in Production.

There is no need to register a marriage in the US. There is no such thing here. Married is married. You need to have a legal marriage to be able to obtain immigration benefits from it.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

@ CC90, thanks, that made sense, why didn't I thought of that before I posted this. thanks!

@ Harpa, what I meant was, to apply for marriage license and have the civil marriage ceremony here.

Thanks for the inputs. After much discussion and weighing out our options and all the technicalities, we've decided to have the civil marriage here in the US.

AOS approved on 7/31/2014. Took 116 days.

ROC approved on 10/26/2017. Took 463 days / 15 months 2 weeks.

07/12/16 Package (I-751) sent to CSC through USPS Priority Mail Express (Overnight)
07/13/16
(Day 001) USCIS confirmed receipt.
07/15/16
(Day 003) Personal check cashed out.

07/18/16 (Day 006) NOA1 (mail) received. NOA dated 07/13/16.

07/21/16 (Day 009) NOA2 (mail) received. NOA2 for biometrics, ASC appointment notice.

08/04/16 (Day 023) Biometrics appointment . Done!

07/05/17 (Day 358) Infopass appointment for I-551 stamp on passport.

07/14/2017 (Day 367) still waiting for approval.... ugghh...

10/13/2017 (Day 458) CSC processing time is current.

10/18/2017 (Day 465) Filed service request with USCIS Customer Service.

10/26/2017 (Day 463) Received email alert. Card in Production.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.