vantasticvoyge

New development in MRV fee payment for K-1.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have been informed that payment of the MRV fee for K-1 applicants has changed. Can anyone confirm the following?

If you are at the stage of waiting for your interview and have your date, you DO NOT pay your fee PRIOR to the interview. You attend the interview at the embassy, during which you are given instructions on how to complete your payment. It is now not done even on the new website in addition to not over the telephone.

This information came from an employee working in the MRV payment department for the embassy. Can anyone let me know if they have heard, been told, ACTUALLY DONE the same as this.

I live just outside of Edinburgh and want to avoid going all the way down to London to be told I should have paid before I had my interview at all costs.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Robert

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to UK regional forum- topic is specific for going through London ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I have been informed that payment of the MRV fee for K-1 applicants has changed. Can anyone confirm the following?

If you are at the stage of waiting for your interview and have your date, you DO NOT pay your fee PRIOR to the interview. You attend the interview at the embassy, during which you are given instructions on how to complete your payment. It is now not done even on the new website in addition to not over the telephone.

This information came from an employee working in the MRV payment department for the embassy. Can anyone let me know if they have heard, been told, ACTUALLY DONE the same as this.

I live just outside of Edinburgh and want to avoid going all the way down to London to be told I should have paid before I had my interview at all costs.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Actually id recommend you pay BEFORE your interview.

Though we are all pretty new to this new payment website we have members that have tried and tested paying PRIOR to the interview, printing out our receipt and taking it to the interview and all has gone smoothly. There have been a couple of us who havent paid before and have paid at the interview too. I think given that they are in the middle of changing the way we pay they are being flexible either way right now.

If in doubt I would follow the London embassys website

MRV Fee for K Visa Applicants

K visa applicants are required to pay the MRV application fee to the Consular Section's Visa Information and Appointment Services contractor prior to the visa interview. Payment is by debit card only through their website at https//usvisa-info.com. Further information will be provided to you in the visa appointment letter.

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Timeline

I had my interview on the 5th, I paid prior to attending and I was asked for my receipt of payment I'd printed out. I'd recommend paying before, unless someone knows of more recent changes.

K1 Timeline:

15th Feb 2013 - Mailed I-129F to CSC
21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I just paid my MRV fee online and printed out the instructions it provides directly after this. In the instructions there is a section entitled 'general required documents - for all visa types'.

Within this it states that I must take a 'non-immigrant visa application form DS-160 confirmation page' to the interview.

To the best of my knowledge during the whole K-1 visa process, I have never been instructed to fill out a DS-160. Also, after checking since reading this I still cannot see any k-1 instructions telling me to do this. Should I do this prior to my interview? has anyone else?

P.s. is a k-1 visa technically a non-immigrant visa since you are doing all your adjustment of status stuff once you are in the country and married?

Thank you for any help.

Robert

You do not do DS-160. And don't freak out if you get to the interview queue and hear an embassy worker yelling out, "you MUST have your DS-160 with you". That is for the majority of those in line getting student, tourist, etc visas, but not you. Keep calm and carry on.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You do not do DS-160. And don't freak out if you get to the interview queue and hear an embassy worker yelling out, "you MUST have your DS-160 with you". That is for the majority of those in line getting student, tourist, etc visas, but not you. Keep calm and carry on.

This. When I was there, the grumpy English Embassy woman was yelling out "YOU MUST HAVE YOUR DS-160" etc, but for the purpose of the K-1 visa, you need your appointment letter in place of the DS-160. She'll ask you your appointment time, check your appointment letter, check you're on the list, then you'll have to stand in another couple of queues before going through security. DS-160 is for other types of visas.

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

This. When I was there, the grumpy English Embassy woman was yelling out "YOU MUST HAVE YOUR DS-160" etc, but for the purpose of the K-1 visa, you need your appointment letter in place of the DS-160. She'll ask you your appointment time, check your appointment letter, check you're on the list, then you'll have to stand in another couple of queues before going through security. DS-160 is for other types of visas.

Is the appointment letter packet 4? I.E the letter with my interview time and date in the bottom left hand corner?

Our Story AoS
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand

Is the appointment letter packet 4? I.E the letter with my interview time and date in the bottom left hand corner?

Yes, that is your appointment letter to show to the people at the embassy like your entry ticket. Packet 4 is old talk. It used to be a packet. We got one. Now you get a page and are told to read your IV 19 "packet" online here http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/IV019_fiance_appt_letter.pdf

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Yes, that is your appointment letter to show to the people at the embassy like your entry ticket. Packet 4 is old talk. It used to be a packet. We got one. Now you get a page and are told to read your IV 19 "packet" online here http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/IV019_fiance_appt_letter.pdf

Lovely jubbly :)

Our Story AoS

K1

[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)

Timeline

Thanks for the info and advice. As always, many thanks.

Also, I got my letter with my appointment date and time and gave me all the instructions to follow. After a whole loads of trouble paying my MRV online, I finally was given the option to do so and did. However it made me choose another date and time on the new website. So now I have an embassy sent letter one date and the website says another. My print off from directly after paying for and scheduling that appointment also says the new date. Therefore don't have a letter from the embassy with the new date. Will they accept my print out from the website to gain entry?

Thanks for the info and advice. As always, many thanks.

Also, I got my letter with my appointment date and time and gave me all the instructions to follow. After a whole loads of trouble paying my MRV online, I finally was given the option to do so and did. However it made me choose another date and time on the new website. So now I have an embassy sent letter one date and the website says another. My print off from directly after paying for and scheduling that appointment also says the new date. Therefore don't have a letter from the embassy with the new date. Will they accept my print out from the website to gain entry?

It almost sounds like you booked yourself a non-immigrant visa appointment. Those are chosen for student, tourist, etc visas. K1s don't pick a date. They are issued by the immigrant visa side. I wouldn't count on that new date being your real K1 appointment, which was given in the letter. It doesn't sound right to me.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

I definitely see what you are saying nich-nick. It's a bit of a worry. Could it possibly be a new feature of the new system/process? it was referred to as a k-1 visa throughout the whole process of paying the $240 MRV and scheduling the new date. Also, everything on the website as of now refers of a nothing but a k-1. As far as I could see my old appointment date and time was not on the website where it once was (since i received my appointment letter in the mail) when they finally informed me there was an option to pay the MRV online and had no option but to complete what it was asking of me. I think i am well and truly in the centre of all the transitions in the process they are going through. I might turn up at the original appointment first, just incase.

I definitely see what you are saying nich-nick. It's a bit of a worry. Could it possibly be a new feature of the new system/process? it was referred to as a k-1 visa throughout the whole process of paying the $240 MRV and scheduling the new date. Also, everything on the website as of now refers of a nothing but a k-1. As far as I could see my old appointment date and time was not on the website where it once was (since i received my appointment letter in the mail) when they finally informed me there was an option to pay the MRV online and had no option but to complete what it was asking of me. I think i am well and truly in the centre of all the transitions in the process they are going through. I might turn up at the original appointment first, just incase.

I honestly don't know. There have been so many verbal reports of what people have done or couldn't do, but without seeing it and all.....who knows. I think their software is not very intuitive and it's almost like they tried to modify the K1 part to fit the design for the larger group (non-immigrants) and it still has bugs. Maybe you really did change the date. Give it a few days, then call DOS and ask your date.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.