memmy

Updating SSN after marriage problems

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to have proof of your legal status in the United States. I had the same problem after I got married on my K1. I had to wait until I got my EAD/AP card.

Social Security is by far the worst (aside from USCIS) government administration I have dealt with. When I tried updating to my married name they combined my first and middle name together (My name is Holly Anne Lastname and they named me Hollyanne Lastname). It took weeks for them to correct it, even telling me that my name is "not my name" despite the fact that my original SSN had my name spelled correctly. Well guess I was lied to my whole life! Now my friends and family jokingly call me Hollyanne when talking about stupid government problems.

Timeline

Yes, I see your point, but..... friend of mine filed for SSN 2 weeks after she got married ( her I-94 was not expired and was a month from being expired) andthey issued her SSN. Also. my current SSN says "Valid for work only with DHS approval." Our new SSN card will say the same, and as an approval we will have work permit. So, there is no real issue there. Also, if it was not possible to issue me a renewed SSN card ( in my case, just add with a hyphen my husband's name), then why did he give me a letter saying I would receive in in 10 days? What he did was he gave me letter, then after I left, filed me for investigation, because he assumed there could be some fraud. Too sad he did not had enough knowledge of over 5 visas in my passport to realize that I got my SSN over 6 years ago and all was good.

Thank you! smile.png Good luck with you getting your SSN too!

The reason he could not renew it was because you only had 10-12 days left on your I94 and it takes more than 10-12 days for them to issue the new card. I agree there is more going on here, but this is still the reason he could not renew it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You need to have proof of your legal status in the United States. I had the same problem after I got married on my K1. I had to wait until I got my EAD/AP card.

Social Security is by far the worst (aside from USCIS) government administration I have dealt with. When I tried updating to my married name they combined my first and middle name together (My name is Holly Anne Lastname and they named me Hollyanne Lastname). It took weeks for them to correct it, even telling me that my name is "not my name" despite the fact that my original SSN had my name spelled correctly. Well guess I was lied to my whole life! Now my friends and family jokingly call me Hollyanne when talking about stupid government problems.

So sorry you had to deal with all of that.... That's so so so annoying... :( I wonder what they will come up with with my double last name....

The reason he could not renew it was because you only had 10-12 days left on your I94 and it takes more than 10-12 days for them to issue the new card. I agree there is more going on here, but this is still the reason he could not renew it.

Yep, i see your point. But in that case he should not have given me a letter verifying me that I applied for a renewal and that my new SSN will arrive in main in 10 days. Also, there was no need to block my application and to file me for investigation ( he did all of that).....

I had issues with SS office as well. They had to send my information to DHS be verified before I could change my name. They wouldn't let me get it in my married name until I had my green card and also told me that it was against the law for K1's to get a SSN. I think everyone who works therte should get retrained in basic customer service skills and also re-trained for their job in general.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Timeline

So sorry you had to deal with all of that.... That's so so so annoying... sad.png I wonder what they will come up with with my double last name....

Yep, i see your point. But in that case he should not have given me a letter verifying me that I applied for a renewal and that my new SSN will arrive in main in 10 days. Also, there was no need to block my application and to file me for investigation ( he did all of that).....

I agree that was totally wrong and I'm sorry to hear you had problems with them too. Hopefully once you get your EAD or Green Card it will be much easier for you! (Here's hoping!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I agree that was totally wrong and I'm sorry to hear you had problems with them too. Hopefully once you get your EAD or Green Card it will be much easier for you! (Here's hoping!)

Thank you!!!

I had issues with SS office as well. They had to send my information to DHS be verified before I could change my name. They wouldn't let me get it in my married name until I had my green card and also told me that it was against the law for K1's to get a SSN. I think everyone who works therte should get retrained in basic customer service skills and also re-trained for their job in general.

I agree!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.