imprezaowner27

Bit of a complicated situation with K-1 and adjustment of status

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'd like to apologize in advanced for the long post.

My fiance and I were going through the K-1 visa process when we hit a snag, we found out that her visa here (obtained by her parents since she was a minor) had expired and she had overstayed past her 18th birthday until she was 19.5 years old. (she is now living in Brasil)

Now, that is an automatic 10 year ban right? well maybe. I found out that her parents had entered into the process of obtaining permanent residency before their visa expired. So with the help of her father and her sister (which are here) I went to their lawyer and got documentation from the process.

• They entered into the process in 2002.
  • She left for brasil in 2007
  • The process was denied in 2010 (she actually pulled out of the process since she was living in Brasil)

Just for clarification: The lawyer handed me 2 pieces of paper...one says I-797C on the top and has the dates they entered into the process and that they received the I-485 application to adjust to permanent residence status. (On this paper he put a sticky note with 3 bullets...1. EB6, 2.Derivative of employment-based petition, 3. 245(i)) not entirely sure what those are. The other piece of paper was the DECISION form on the i-485, it was denied but the key words I think on this paper are.... "this decision leaves you without lawful immigration status and you are therefore present in the USA in violation of the law. You are required to depart the USA." So therefore she could've been lawfully in the USA in limbo until that decision is made correct? so the 10 year ban would not apply unless she left after 1 year of the date on the denial sheet?

I thought about posting this in the K-1 section, but this section deals with changing of status so you guys might know more on the subject. Thank you for any information.

NOA1- August 7th 2015 ^_^

TSC to PSC- November 10th 2015 :huh:

LOCAL OFFICE- December 2nd 2015 :o

NOA2- February 25th 2016 :D

NVC Stage:

Physical letter received at home address March 17th 2016 (away on business trip)

DS-261 Completed- March 18th 2016

AOS Fee Paid- March 18th 2016

IV Fee Paid- March 26th 2016

IV Application Completed- March 30th 2016

IV and AOS packages sent- May 19th

Interview appointment date received via e-mail- June 2nd (10 business days? how is that even possible?!)

Interview set for June 20th (super short notice!)

VISA DENIED at interview but followed up over email :cry:

VISA ARRIVED 6/30/2016 with no notice of approval over email :pop:

POE Fort Lauderdale 8/15/16 Went smoothly and she's home! :dance:

Filed: Timeline

Did the I-797C state that it was for an I-485 and start in 2002?

If so, you might have a case. However a SEPARATE I-485 must have been filed for your fiance for her to be included. If it's only for her parents, then she was not included.

You should consult the lawyer and not us, since you provided VERY little information.

Timeline

Did the I-797C state that it was for an I-485 and start in 2002?

If so, you might have a case. However a SEPARATE I-485 must have been filed for your fiance for her to be included. If it's only for her parents, then she was not included.

You should consult the lawyer and not us, since you provided VERY little information.

yes the i-797C states that they received the i485 in 2002 and the notice date is in 2004, and it is stating that the applicant name is in her name...I included that her parents were involved because she was a minor when the application was sent in.

NVC Stage:

Physical letter received at home address March 17th 2016 (away on business trip)

Interview appointment date received via e-mail- June 2nd (10 business days? how is that even possible?!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Moved to General Immigration-Related Discussion, from Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas - As they are working on a K1 and not adjustment of status but are looking for information pertaining to a previous AOS.~~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

~~~~Moved to General Immigration-Related Discussion, from Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas - As they are working on a K1 and not adjustment of status but are looking for information pertaining to a previous AOS.~~~~

thanks

NVC Stage:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.