Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Should I submit DNA testing before it is requested?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


My husband lives in Ohio, is a naturalized US citizen and has filed a an I-130 for his daughter, a minor, who lives in Honduras to immigrate to the United States. The case is currently with the NVC and we have all of the documents required for submission of the DS-230 (birth certificate--literal form, police record, photocopy of passport and two passport sized photos, translations of all documents and certificate of translation).

Here's the problem: my husband is NOT the original father listed on his daughter's birth certificate and he and the mother were never married. In 2005 he challenged the paternity, had his daughter's last name changed so it is now the same and his and had her birth certificate amended. The literal form birth certificate documents all of this. He has never had DNA testing done to prove paternity, but he knows that it's his daughter.

Given these circumstances I am almost CERTAIN that the embassy will require DNA testing to prove paternity. It is better to wait until they ask for DNA testing, or can we speed up the process by contacting an AABB certified lab and paying the fees, etc, now?

He doesn't want to complicate the process of have to pay for DNA testing twice, but we are trying to do everything we can to get her here before her 18th birthday (July 2014) so she becomes a citizen automatically.

Thanks in advance for any help.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I contacted the embassy in Teguc, and they said it was okay if we started the process now. The post important thing is to use an AABB Accredited lab and make sure that the Immigration Case number (starting with TGG in our case) was associated with the sample my husband submitted. This way, when she goes for the interview they will already have her DNA results at the embassy and hopefully she will be granted a visa the same day.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.