Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Algerian visas? Tourist or Family visit?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello, I'm a US citizen engaged to an Algerian. We plan to marry in Algeria. I have been confused on which visas to apply for, 'tourist' or 'family visit'.

I will not be living in a hotel, but in an apartment until the marriage investigation is finished and the papers are approved.

Would I still need a copy of my itinerary and tickets if I had a notarized letter from his family inviting me? I can't get an itinerary if I don't plan on staying in a hotel or taking any tours. I also don't want to buy a ticket before I even know if my visa application has been approved or not.

The embassy also mentions "Letter of Employment or evidence of activity". I am not employed, I take care of my extended family; so how do I get around that?

Thank you for any information.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be a "family guest visa" and you will need a notarized invitation from the city hall of the place of residence of the Algerian host.

You need a copy of you flight itinerary. You have to buy the ticket to get the visa. They have to know the dates you will arrive and how long you plan on staying. I never had to have a "letter of employment" and I have been 4 times to Algeria. They ask for your employer name and address on the visa application. I am not employed and I just put "not employed."



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all. I called and got my answer, but I decided to reply once more in case anyone has this problem in the future.

The New York number is 212-486-6930
The Washington number is 202-265-2800 extension 164

Visa Office Hours: Monday thru Thursday from 9:00am to 11:00am and from 3pm to 4:30 pm

— Must apply for a Tourist visa
— You can extend visa from inside Algeria, you don't need to leave to reapply.
— No vaccines or travel insurance needed for americans, but recommended for safety.

Envelope must contain:

— Passport valid for at least the next 6 months.
— A prepaid self-addressed envelope with an express US postal service, including an air bill naming them as the sender and receiver of the mail. (To get passport mailed back to you).
— Two copies of completed visa application. They must be filled out electronically (not by hand), then signed by hand on each page.
— Two passport-size photographs, with first and last names written on the back, stapled to the applications.
— An invitation letter from family, notarized in an Algerian City Hall; in English, French or Arabic.
— Copy of flight booking. You don't need to buy it yet, just book the ticket and send a copy of the itinerary.
— Money Order for $160 USD for a tourist visa (as of today, 2013), made payable to the order of the Embassy of Algeria.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.