Chuckles

Russian University (College) degrees

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I was wondering what kinds of experiences people may have had with their spouses degrees from Russia. Was it easy to get the 'accreditation' through any of the online services? Did they have to take many courses to achieve an 'American' equivlant degree? What types of degrees do you guys have experience with?

Any help, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated. My wife has a (equivlant) bachelors degree in education and one in music.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I was wondering what kinds of experiences people may have had with their spouses degrees from Russia. Was it easy to get the 'accreditation' through any of the online services? Did they have to take many courses to achieve an 'American' equivlant degree? What types of degrees do you guys have experience with?

Any help, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated. My wife has a (equivlant) bachelors degree in education and one in music.

What a great question. My wife is getting ready for grad school now, the university here (USF) asked her to have her degree translated and certified by a firm called IEE near Miami. There are a bunch of companies that do this.

For applying to grad school, it will depend on the school you are applying to. For employment, it shouldn't matter much (if it does matter to them, make them pay for it).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I did not have any problems with enrolling to the master's program here. All they wanted was "official" transcripts sent directly from my Soviet University, and the test scores - TOEFL and GRE/GMAT. I did not need any "accreditation". As long as your wife attended her Russian University for 4-5 years, I would not expect many problems with that.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have posted on this before, at length. Dig around and maybe you will find it.

In any event - my wife got her Russian transcripts sent to the university and to an accreditor they recommended, ECE. Fee was less than $200 or so. They assigned an equivalency to her degrees, as well as a course by course evaluation and U.S. equiv., and sent the info to the university. FWIW, they evaluated her Russian degrees as:

B.A. Education, Teaching English & German

B.B.A. Management

M.S. Tourism Management

She is currently enrolled in a M.S. Global Supply Chain Management program. She did NOT have to take the TOEFL and is excused from taking the GRE if she gets a B or better in the first two classes. The first exception was because they judged her English to be good enough by talking to her, and the fact that she just completed two undergrad courses (one of which was Public Speaking) with a B or better. The second exception was because she already has (the equiv. of) a graduate degree (twice over).

Hope this helps!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's very easy to get a degree evaluated. I only did it for employment purposes (not that my employers were interested in my stupid BA in history, but I still evaluated it).

I know about cases when 5-year degrees from Russia were considered equivalent to US Masters degrees.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.