4 posts in this topic

Hi,

So i just received an RFE 2 days ago and it says exactly this:

Intent to Marry: Submit evidence that the petitioner and beneficiary plan to marry each other within 90 days of the beneficiary's admission to the United States. Evidence of intention to marry may include a statement of intent to marry.

I though this meant that I need to send a letter to say I am planning on marrying in 90 days at city hall, since my immigration lawyer only told me to write one and said we dont need one from my fiance. I contacted my lawyer and she said that no they dont just want a letter, they want actual proof of your plans like wedding dress receipts, rings, chapel reservatons, invitions. I am not planning a wedding, I mentioned this in my letter of intent. I am just going to city hall and then when we save up, we want to go back to his country and have a wedding there.

Do you guys know if this RFE is just asking for both our letters of intent, signed, translated, and notarized? or do they want the actual proof of us planning things? Have any of you gone through this same RFE?

Also, I contacted my city hall before all of this, and they said that i cant schedule an appointment for a civil ceremony without the marriage license. My fiance isnt here for me to get the license, so i have absolutely no clue how to provide what my lawyer wants if that is actually what the RFE is asking.

The lawyer isn't right. You don't need to have actual plans to marry in action (in terms of booking stuff etc.).

Both you and your fiancé needed to submit letters of intent to marry. They just need to be signed. You got the RFE because you were missing a letter.

See the K1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Item 5 in the checklist of documents (there's a link to an example, too).

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Both of fiance and fiancee need to submit letter of intent to marry ( 1 from you and other is from your fiance(e) so total is 2). if you read the instruction of I-129F it does say both letter from fiance and fiancee. Note the letter format is here http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc

Letters have to be English and signed (dont need to notarize) .

Note that the letter above is only written one direction that is befiniciary will marry petitioner. You will need to change the wording a little bit so that you have second letter( petitioner will marry benificiary).

New Journey AOS:

My fiancee came to US on the 8th of March, 2014 under K-1 visa at Newark, NJ Airport for POE.

Applied Social Security Number on the 10 of March, 2014.

Married on the 13th of March, 2014.

Sent I-485, I-765, and I-131 on the 15th of March, 2014.

Received EAD on June 7, 2014.

Received Notice of Potential Interview Waiver on July 1, 2014 date 6/27

Contacted Ombudsman on 01/12/2015.

Ombudsman contacted USCIS on 02/20/2015.

Ombudsman sent a follow up to USCIS on 03/18/2015.

I-485 approved on 03/31/2015 ( we ordered your card).

Welcome notice was mailed on 04/01/2015.

Received Welcome Notice on 04/08/2015.

Card was mailed to me/picked up by USPS on 04/08/2015.

Received GC on 4/10/2015.

Prediction 04/08/2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.