Mrs-Belle

I-134 for K-1 A Little Confused!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Dominica
Timeline

Ok, so I know that the basic rule for the K-1 visa is to follow the I-134.

I meet this requirement for income.

I am a household of 3 (me and my two daughters) plus my fiance of course would make it 4.

My income is almost $26,000.00 per year.

So I meet the requirement for the 100% guideline.

MY QUESTION IS THIS!!!!!

I have been told that some embassies go by the 125% guidelines even for the K-1 Visa. I am trying to figure out the best course of action from people who might have been in my situation. I will not meet the guidelines at this point for the 125%.

We have agreed that my mother will sponsor him when the time comes and my income would not be sufficient. She makes well over $60,000 per year and has been on her job for over 35 years. She meets the requirements (even though I know it doesnt actually work that way) to cover all 4 of us and her and my father easily.

So, what should I send with him to his interview? Just the I-134? Should I go ahead and let my mother fill out her I-864 to show our intent? I just hate the thought of them thinking "Hmm so her income meets 100% but what will she do when it is time to meet 125%.

Can somebody please give me some advice here on what I should do or if anyone has experience with this type of situation?

s-event.pngs-event.png

s-event.png

If you are going to eventually need a co-sponsor, I would go ahead with that now. I don't know why one is 100% and the other 125% because once you are married and file for the green card, you will need to show the 125%. Now just to be fair, I don't have experience with your exact situation, but I had thought about that before and I was considering finding a co-sponsor if that was going to be the case for me. Since your mother has agreed to be a co-sponsor, I'd go with that from the get go and save yourself the headache later.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You're going to have to show that you can supply enough income to support your fiance at 125% of the poverty level or more. The 100% level is only for those who are in the U.S. Armed Forces. (See Form I-864P). The guidelines for Form I-864 Affidavit of Support are used by the consulates; this makes sense because once your spouse applies for AOS, the I-864 is required.

The I-134 isn't ever required, but can be useful to allay public charge concerns. In your case, it is advisable to use it. Since you cannot meet the 125% requirement yourself, both you and your joint sponsor should prepare Forms I-134 (with supporting evidence) so your fiance can hand them to the consular officer at the interview.

Good luck!

Timeline

You're going to have to show that you can supply enough income to support your fiance at 125% of the poverty level or more. The 100% level is only for those who are in the U.S. Armed Forces. (See Form I-864P). The guidelines for Form I-864 Affidavit of Support are used by the consulates; this makes sense because once your spouse applies for AOS, the I-864 is required.

The I-134 isn't ever required, but can be useful to allay public charge concerns. In your case, it is advisable to use it. Since you cannot meet the 125% requirement yourself, both you and your joint sponsor should prepare Forms I-134 (with supporting evidence) so your fiance can hand them to the consular officer at the interview.

Good luck!

Ok, I was told that the primary guidelines that are followed for the K-1 is the I-134 which follows 100% of the poverty level. Technically, sponsors are not supposed to be allowed for the K-1 visa. So, what I was trying to figure out was which form I should send in. On all government websites, it states that the petitioner must meet 100% of the poverty level for the k-1 visa with the I-134 support document.

Have I missed something???

s-event.pngs-event.png

s-event.png

Ok, I was told that the primary guidelines that are followed for the K-1 is the I-134 which follows 100% of the poverty level. Technically, sponsors are not supposed to be allowed for the K-1 visa. So, what I was trying to figure out was which form I should send in. On all government websites, it states that the petitioner must meet 100% of the poverty level for the k-1 visa with the I-134 support document.

Have I missed something???

Which website were you looking at? Some of them are just worded really badly. smile.png

Co-sponsors for finance are allowed for K1 in some countries and not others. I believe the 100% vs. 125% for the I-134 is at the discretion of the interviewing officer, and again, some countries specify one over the other always.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Which website were you looking at? Some of them are just worded really badly. smile.png

Co-sponsors for finance are allowed for K1 in some countries and not others. I believe the 100% vs. 125% for the I-134 is at the discretion of the interviewing officer, and again, some countries specify one over the other always.

We will be going through Barbados. I have looked through the forum for that embassy. But, I can't seem to find anything giving me info about cosponsors. Any suggestions?

s-event.pngs-event.png

s-event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.