7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know this may sound a silly question, but if my fiance earns beneath the 125 % poverty requirement and has no relatives that are able to sponsor, will this have a bearing on our case?

Will they take into consideration any money that I am going to be depositing into her account over the coming months as a supplement?

We are early on this as we have not yet started the process but would like to know what options we are going to have to face - please can anyone who knows about this give us both some pointers?

Regards

Mark

07/06/2006 Met online

11/06/2006 Travelled to Houston - Broken hearted having to go home.

01/06/2007 Trip to Houston - Taking pictures this time!!!!!

09/03/2007 Her first Transatlantic trip!!! Loads of pics etc - met my parents!!!!!

01/09/2007 Going back to Houston to see her and take more pics and prepare paperwork

Siete il mio mondo, niente confrontate a voi, ti amo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Since you posted this to K-1 forum and you say fiance I will assume you are filing for a K-1 visa. You may want to update your profile to show K-1 under your name as "Filed For:", "N/A" keeps many guessing.

Firstly the I-864 is used at Adjustment of Status after you enter the USA and get married.

At this point you are concerned with I-134 used for the Visa interview.

You may want to read through the section about "Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law" on the London website.

An applicant for a fiancé(e), Kii or V visa may generally satisfy the requirement of the law by the presentation of documentary evidence establishing that:
  1. the applicant has, or will have in the U.S. personal funds sufficient to provide support for the applicant and dependent family members, if any, or sufficient to provide support until suitable employment is located;
  2. the applicant has arranged employment in the U.S. that will provide an adequate income for the applicant and dependent family members;
  3. relatives or friends in the U.S. will assure the applicant's support; or
  4. a combination of the above circumstances (Your assets can be combined with her income to help meet the requirement)

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Since you posted this to K-1 forum and you say fiance I will assume you are filing for a K-1 visa. You may want to update your profile to show K-1 under your name as "Filed For:", "N/A" keeps many guessing.

Firstly the I-864 is used at Adjustment of Status after you enter the USA and get married.

At this point you are concerned with I-134 used for the Visa interview.

You may want to read through the section about "Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law" on the London website.

An applicant for a fiancé(e), Kii or V visa may generally satisfy the requirement of the law by the presentation of documentary evidence establishing that:
  1. the applicant has, or will have in the U.S. personal funds sufficient to provide support for the applicant and dependent family members, if any, or sufficient to provide support until suitable employment is located;
  2. the applicant has arranged employment in the U.S. that will provide an adequate income for the applicant and dependent family members;
  3. relatives or friends in the U.S. will assure the applicant's support; or
  4. a combination of the above circumstances (Your assets can be combined with her income to help meet the requirement)

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html

Thanks for the information.. We are planning ahead as we are currently working towards the application which we are going to submit in or around March next year.

As I said, we are ahead but we are trying to cross every T and dot every I just to make the process a (little) bit more easier :D

07/06/2006 Met online

11/06/2006 Travelled to Houston - Broken hearted having to go home.

01/06/2007 Trip to Houston - Taking pictures this time!!!!!

09/03/2007 Her first Transatlantic trip!!! Loads of pics etc - met my parents!!!!!

01/09/2007 Going back to Houston to see her and take more pics and prepare paperwork

Siete il mio mondo, niente confrontate a voi, ti amo

Any money you deposit in her account will be considered to be 'Assets'. This 'used' to be worth 20% (one fifth) of its value in adding to the yearly income of the sponsor so you can get over the 125% line. However, I think this is now divided by 3 in terms of its value (33%). Remember the poverty line is the household size, so for you and your USC partner it will be the poverty figure for a household of two. Assets can also considt of property value etc.

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Filed: Timeline
I know this may sound a silly question, but if my fiance earns beneath the 125 % poverty requirement and has no relatives that are able to sponsor, will this have a bearing on our case?

Will they take into consideration any money that I am going to be depositing into her account over the coming months as a supplement?

We are early on this as we have not yet started the process but would like to know what options we are going to have to face - please can anyone who knows about this give us both some pointers?

Regards

Mark

If you cannot financially provide the minimum 125% - thru assets, income, etc - above poverty you will be denied.

Edited by devilette

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another thought - If you can line up a job quickly (file for EAD immediately after marriage) even a minimum wage job - you can be over the povery line by combining the two incomes. Depends on how bad you feel about working for minimum - many of us didn't have a problem doing that while supporting ourselves and while looking for a more suitable job in our chosen fields. Here in USA (as opposed to many other countries) even a menial job is not considered 'unacceptable' socially, most understand that one has to survive and your ability to do so is far superior to those that won't even try. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Other Timeline
Any money you deposit in her account will be considered to be 'Assets'. This 'used' to be worth 20% (one fifth) of its value in adding to the yearly income of the sponsor so you can get over the 125% line. However, I think this is now divided by 3 in terms of its value (33%). Remember the poverty line is the household size, so for you and your USC partner it will be the poverty figure for a household of two. Assets can also considt of property value etc.

This isn't quite right. They don't divide what assets you have by 33%.

Here's how it works - by example.

Say for simplicity sake you need 20000 to meet the requirements. The sponsors income is 18000. You have a shortfall of 2000. THE CORRECT REQUIREMENT IS YOU MUST HAVE THREE TIMES THE SHORTFALL IN ASSETS. Thus you would need to show 6000 or more in assets to meet the shortfall.

Anecdotally it probably wouldn't be good to go to the trough with those assets being marginally at the minimum.

And....should you be legally working by the time your AOS is filed, your verifiable income can be counted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.