3AD

HCMC Interview - How do they ask for evidence?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In trying to organize everything, can anyone provide hints?

Do they say: "Show me plane stubs where your fiance visited" or just "Show me evidence of an ongoing relationship"?

How have others organized their material? I figure if they ask for letters, instead of giving them all letters and correspondence, a "ready made" sample that is representative might be best.

Ideas are welcomed.

Thanks,

3AD

02/06/2006 - Sent I-129F to TSC

02/08/2006 - Received by TSC, transferred to CSC

02/15/2006 - NOA1 from CSC

02/17/2006 - check cleared bank

03/21/2006 - Per recommendation of attorney, sent add'l docs to amend I-129F

03/27/2006 - Per recommendation of attorney, sent same add'l docs via certified mail (in case first got lost)

05/02/2006 - NOA2 from CSC (via email notification)

07/22/2006 - Packet 3 received

08/12/2006 - Packet 3 sent

10/03/2006 - Packet 4 received

10/26/2006 - Interview at Embassy, 221g (blue slip): advised how to file for citizenship of child (??)

11/29/2006 - Pink slip received after attorney met with immigration chief

In trying to organize everything, can anyone provide hints?

Do they say: "Show me plane stubs where your fiance visited" or just "Show me evidence of an ongoing relationship"?

How have others organized their material? I figure if they ask for letters, instead of giving them all letters and correspondence, a "ready made" sample that is representative might be best.

Ideas are welcomed.

Thanks,

3AD

You can read my interview report here.

At the interview they will just ask to "show me your evidence." Then during the presentation of the evidence they will ask questions about it. After the applicant has finished showing the evidence, then they will ask for specifics if they want to see them.

The way I organized my wife's evidence was in the following order, from first to last:

-Phone bills from T-Mobile showing text messages and calls directly to Vietnam. Records of phone cards purchased online. Records of phone calls made through Tel3Advantage.

-About 100 pictures of us together with friends, family, relatives. etc...

-Airline boarding passes, airline ticket stubs, and credit card statements showing my purchases of the tickets.

-About 30 pages of Yahoo Messenger chat logs

-Letters with envelopes my wife and I sent to each other

-About 10 pages of e-mails

-Miscellaneous congratulation cards sent to us upon our wedding

I also sent a detail letter explaining my relationship with my wife, from how we met, to engagement, to marriage. I also made a videotape of me speaking unscripted Vietnamese for 10 minutes. These were done in anticipation of the standard 221(g) requests, but they were never presented to the consular officer.

Send as much evidence as you feel comfortable. There is no minimum and no maximum. But do make sure that your fiancee knows everything that is presented and can answer any questions about them. And remember, your fiancee only has one chance at the interview to convince them of the relationship. They do not have to give her a second chance to supplement her application, although they often give one 221(g) denial if they want more. I personally would send as much as possible. You can't overdo this part of the visa process. If you read my interview report, you'll see that my wife never made it pass the photos before the consular officer stopped her and said he didn't want to see anymore. I think during the interview, the consular officer had made up his mind, and the phone bills and photos convinced him of our relationship.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

3AD

They may ask for both. In my wife's case, they asked it in the very general term "Show me evidence of your relationship", yeah, like that. Then she forked over the letters, copies of E-Mails and photos.

They don't give a hoot about studio pictures by the way, and if you think about it, why would they? What they want to see is pictures of you and her out in public doing things together. Not just you with her parents, but you with her friends. Take pictures of EVERYTHING you do together (that means you have to get out of the bedroom once in a while).

Not only do you want the original boarding passes, but they may very well ask for receipts showing you purchased the tickets. This is the first time I will ever advise someone that using a credit card is better than using cash.

Edited by dalegg

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Timeline
Take pictures of EVERYTHING you do together (that means you have to get out of the bedroom once in a while).
:P Some of us wish we couyld be in the bedroom, but are with very traditional girls, so that ain't gonna happen until she says "I do."
Not only do you want the original boarding passes, but they may very well ask for receipts showing you purchased the tickets. This is the first time I will ever advise someone that using a credit card is better than using cash.
This may be a problem for me. I canceled the credit card I used for my two trips last year and shredded the statements. :( In addition, the ticket Iam using for my flight in May is from a voucher from last year! So if they ask for evidence I paid for my tickets, I am in serious trouble.

:help:

This may be a problem for me. I canceled the credit card I used for my two trips last year and shredded the statements. :( In addition, the ticket Iam using for my flight in May is from a voucher from last year! So if they ask for evidence I paid for my tickets, I am in serious trouble.

:help:

call yer credit card companies and ask for copies of the statements. they are supposed to keep copies for a certain number of years. believe us when we tell you that the credit card statements are a must at this consulate. you will be placed on ar until you produce them.

Well, considering I shredded the papers and cut the card up, that's going to be downright impossible. I have no idea what card it was. Just do not remember. :(

Not feeling good about this right now. :(

Get a copy of your credit report for free at http://www.annualcreditreport.com/

That will list all creditors you've had in the last ten years.

Filed: Timeline

OK, I searched and found some stuff: I just found the statement for my first flight back in October.

I also found the statement that has to ticket purchase I made for Anh for her flight back to Veitnam after Christmas. So I can show that I paid for one of her tickets out my own pocket. I assume that's good?

Now, I have a photocopy of the statement that shows the purchase of a ticket to Europe for December that I ended up NOT using. I traded it in for a voucher and that voucher will be used for my ticket to Vietnam this May. That ticket cost about $75 more, which is on my credit card for this month. So will I be able to show them this and will they understand and believe it?

OK, I searched and found some stuff: I just found the statement for my first flight back in October.

I also found the statement that has to ticket purchase I made for Anh for her flight back to Veitnam after Christmas. So I can show that I paid for one of her tickets out my own pocket. I assume that's good?

Now, I have a photocopy of the statement that shows the purchase of a ticket to Europe for December that I ended up NOT using. I traded it in for a voucher and that voucher will be used for my ticket to Vietnam this May. That ticket cost about $75 more, which is on my credit card for this month. So will I be able to show them this and will they understand and believe it?

I wouldn't worry too much Matt... I only had 1 part of my ticket, and the lost baggage notice to give my wife for her interview... The tickets were purchased by her cousin when they bought tickets to visit last year, and I paid them back later. They didn't ask for cc receipts or anything. I believe they are mostly interested in your relationship PRIOR to having traveled to VietNam so try to have as much of that as possible...

Good Luck! :yes:

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Event Date

I-129F Sent:.................2005-04-05

I-129F NOA1 :...............2005-04-11

I-129F RFE(s) :..............2005-07-13 (original signatures)

RFE Reply(s) :...............2005-07-15

I-129F NOA2 :...............2005-07-25

Visa Center Received......2006-08-09

Visa center sent.............2006-08-12

Consulate Received:.......2005-08-16 ( electronic file)

Consulate Received:.......2005-08-26 (physical file)

Consulate Sent Packet 3:.2005-10- 12

Packet 3 Received:.........2005-10-24

Packet 3 Sent:...............2005-10-26

Packet 4 Received:.........2005-12-25

Interview Date:.............2006-01-24, Hue's birthday!!!

Visa Received:.............. 2006-02-08 Miss Hue Passed!!!

US Entry:.....................2006-02-09

Marriage:.....................2006-02-16!!!

AOS filed......................2006-03-26

AOS received.................2006-03-31

AOS Notice ...................2006-04-05

Biometrics....................2006-05-02

EAD filed (online)...........2006-05-22 (Miss Hue is bored)

EAD Notice....................2006-05-22

EAD Biometrics..............2006-05-26

Comments : Yes, I would do it all over again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.