5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been trying to research this as I'm very uninformed as to how the US health insurance system works.

My husband will be receiving his employer's health insurance in October as it kicks in after a month after he starts work. I know that he an add me no problem. My question is, is the health insurance "guaranteed issue"? I ask this because I was just diagnosed with a blood clot and require medication for the rest of my pregnancy. We have to pay out of pocket for this, and we are hoping it will only have to be for a couple of months until his insurance kicks in. I'm hoping insurance will just take over as his prescription benefits will be quite excellent and this medicine is around 6k a month. Anyone with knowledge about this? Thank you.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would suggest contacting the insurance company or at least get a detailed plan of coverage from the employer- sometimes it can be tricky with "pre-existing" conditions. Since all insurance companies do things differently you might get the most peace of mind by checking with the specific company.

Congrats on the new job and the baby :)

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For what it's worth, I've been dealing with health insurance issues and my husband's insurance too during pregnancy, since his previous job switched insurance companies in June, and then he started a new job in July, that the insurance didn't kick in for until August 1 so we've also been on COBRA in July (yay 4 different insurance options, what a headache).

The August 1 insurance guarantees coverage but NOT for pre-existing conditions for a period of 3 months.

I managed to waive this by providing proof I had been covered in the past 6 months (I gave them the previous health insurance card #'s, photocopied). My husband's original insurance when we got married back in January covered pre-existing right away. My husband had 'credit' for being covered previously for a year, but they only gave me credit for 6 months of coverage. (Each day of previous coverage counts for half a day reduction in the wait time to be covered on the new insurance)... I had been constantly covered, while in Canada (of course) with travel medical before marriage and then on his marriage plan but they didn't bother to go that far back since they didn't need to.

I am not sure which insurance company you are going through, but you will definitely want to investigate this and not assume you are covered... it's so lame. My husband was shocked to discover they could still refuse to cover pre-existing conditions (apparently the law doesn't go into effect until 2014... correct me if I'm wrong and it's later)... but yeah, pregnant right now so not much help. We are also investigating, since the baby will be a US citizen, to add them onto the state healthcare to save money since his work insurance is suuuper pricey. Not sure if that is an option.... still investigating.

Want a punching bag to hit? Sometimes I feel like it would help with navigation of this stupid health bureaucracy paperwork down here!!!!

P.S. If you want more info feel free to PM me, I can try to find the letter our current insurance company sent about pre-existing conditions and coverage for more information.. But it will really depend on what insurance company he has. Hopefully it's like my husband's original insurers and being married waives this limitation.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.