Georgez

US CITIZENSHIP NEW YORK 2013-29TH JULY

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi Friends.

First of all good luck for who are applying for the Naturalization

& congrats whoever got approved.

I was online trying to find experiences like anyone else.

Here is my story.

I applied for Naturalization on 28th December 2012.This was 3 months prior to my actual date to file.

I was due to file on 28th March 2013.

I was a little scared while filing for the N-400 as it was holiday time like christmas & New Years.

But got my Bio-metric invitation on 28th January 2013(1 month after initial application)which i think was pretty quick.

Which contained my application number.

You can check your case status online at the USCIS website.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/CaseStatus.do

Just out of results from my research i decided to register online for My Case Status updates.

So whenever there was a change on USCIS system regarding my application i would get notified via e-mail.

This service is good as you will know even before you get the response in the mail.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/selectusertype.jsp;jsessionid=bacoBvMmDSD6gg7jr6Tau

I got the appoinment for February 28th(2 months after initial application)

Went for the Biometrics in Brooklyn.Just like a regular office.Take the token show your appoinment letter & wait to be called.

Once called will scan all fingers.Then give you a confirmation that you did the biometrics.

Its better to keep that letter as its the evidence that you did biometrics.(Might become useful).

They also give you a red book which contains all information about the interview.

Its also has the civics test question(100 questions) & a CD.Everyone is supposed to learn all the 100 questions.

Then was the wait.

I called the USCIS a few times to know the status.(They just have whatever information is available online thru my case status)I wouldnt even bother calling them.

But then i had to call again as i was moving.I called to change address.The agent did it for me but i was to go online and fill out a form.You have the option to mail it too.

Again the wait...continued.

June 25th it notified me online stating scheduled for interview.I was happy.And i got the mail on 28th June 2013.

The letter for the interview.It was scheduled on 29th July 2013.(which was 7 months after initial application date)

It had a checklist of documents which i had to bring with me for the interview.Also i got a yellow letter.asking me for more evidence.(Which everyone online said was a negative thing)

So i started preparing to get them.Some of them they may ask to get it certified.But its not that bad.

Its basically just supporting documents for your application.And Photo ID,Greencard,Passport,Tax returns transcript etc.

So finally a month left for the interview.

Here is the funny part.

Coz i was supposed to study for the civics test which contains 100 questions.

Till then i didnt even study.I just opened and read the book once when i got it.

Days went by i couldnt invest time on learning as of busy schedule at work.

So i checked online which made me confuse coz so many people said different things and some websites wanted you to pay to learn to pass the civis test.

In my mind i was like you have the questions and the answers then why would i pay someone to make me pass the test??????

So here is where technology kicks in.

Since i am a phone person and i use so many apps on the phone.

Something made me think to search about the civics test on the playstore on my android phone.

To my suprise i found so many apps.

Out of which some were paid apps but a few were free.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=us%20citizenship%20test%202013&c=apps

So i installed like 3 apps.

They had questions as the book and the good thing is you could practice test on them.

You could take 10 questions test,20 or 30 questions test or the full 100 questions test.

So for once i read the whole book

And then started using the app to answer the questions.

It would give me the score too.

This all happened 1 week prior to my interview.

So on my free time weather at work oor on the train,or friends house automatically i started to use the app.

It was like playing a game.

Thanks to technology.

I DIDNT KNOW-THE MORE I PLAYED THE MORE I WAS LEARNING.

So quickly came the 28th July.I gathered all my documents.Including all communications from USCIS and all from the checklist.

So my 3 piece suit ironed.(You dont have to all that matter is you have to dress neat and in casual or business attire)

Come on Guys this is one of the most important day in your life.

The fact that weather you can be or not become a citizen of the United States Of America.

So do the best.

My appoinment was at 9AM at Federal Building in Brooklyn Bridge.

I would take a chance to drive specially through the city and there is limited parking.

So decided to take public transport.

I was assuming i will be there just a little early.So left home at 6Am.Got the train and reached Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall by 7.05Am.

I was almost 2 hrs early.

So i thought like from everyone experience it was going to be a very long day so decided to grab a coffee.

And then headed towards the building.

At the entrance was aroung 20 people and the normal security check.And directed to the floor.

Mine was seventh.I went to the 7th floor and to my suprise there was over a hundred people sitting in the hall.

Which included applicants and people who came with applicants and representatives and immigration lawyer.

I was expecting to be called by noon seeing all the people coz the bulk schedule for the same time.

The lady at the entrance asked me to drop the appoinment letter at counter 52.

I dropped it there and the lady behind the counter asked me to wait along with the others and listen for the name to be called.

I never thought there would be so many people that early like 2 hrs early.

I sat down and was going through my test app again.Besides me were a chinese couple and their lawyer teaching them civics questions.

finally by 8:30 my name was called along with 5 other applicants.I went to the counter and a lady took us to a different room.

Being seperated from the other group made me a little nervous.

Specially coz i got a yellow letter.asking me for more evidence.

So one by one everyone was called.first was a black lady and she came back she said she failed for the civis test.

And the agent came back and asked her to go the counter and schedule another appoinment after 90 days for next interview.

This made me more nervous.I was like 3 months wait if you fail the civics test?????OMG

Now i started to get nervous.

Technically if you see i havent read the book or learnt.

But i was the third to be called.

Called me around 9:30.(That was pretty quick to me)

Normally i was expecting to be called by noon seeing all the people coz the bulk schedule for the same time.

So The Officer was a Black Woman around 35-40 years old i would say.

She welcomed me introduced herself as stacey.

She wasnt smiling.Just like a regular officer.

You have to understand they see 100s of applicants every day.

It can be boring for them.

Took me to her room.

Asked me to stand and lift my right hand and swear that i would say the truth only.

After that she asked me to sit and asked for my Passport,My Id and the green card.

Then she to my original application and went through all the questions.

Had to update address since i moved after my initial application.

and then the yes or no questions like have you been arrested etc.........

after that she handed me a paper with three line and asked me to write on the first line

THERE ARE 100 SENATORS IN THE UNITED STATES.

i wrote it and she checked it and took it back.(passed)

then she gave me another paper which had three lines and asked me to read the first line.

1,THERE ARE 50 STATES IN THE UNITED STATES

She marked correct on it and took it back.

Then was the most important part the 10 civics test.

It was a printed paper with 10 questions i guess its randomly picked up for every applicant.

Questions were........

1,What is the National Anthem called???

2,Which ocean lies to the West Coast???

3,Name two cabinet level positions???

4,What happened in the United States in 2001?

5,What is Rule of Law?

6,What is the highest court in the United States?

Done All correct....................

This is the moment when i realized how the app on the phone helped me.

Like i said the more i played on the app the more i was learning.

I didnt know it then............

Finally she gave me a print out which said i passed the civics test and congrats.

She said i will receive a mail withing 2-3 weeks with the schedule for the oath ceremony.

Done.

The whole interview lasted for about 15-20 mins.

I was out of the office by 10AM.

This is my story.

On the whole my process till now took 7 months.

Now is the wait for the oath.

I thank all friends you put their expereinces online.So i though i will put mine to.Maybe it might help someone.

Above all thanks to God.

Good luck everyone

congratulations!

Met in person : 2009-02-24
Second visit : 2010-03-12
Married : 2012-07-17
I-130 Sent : 2013-01-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-01-28
NOA2 : 2013-05-16

NVC Received : 2013-06-10
Pay AOS Bill : 2013-06-25
Return I 864: 2013-06-26
Return DS 3032: 2013-07-01

Genesis 2:22-24
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

The yellow letter asked me to provide the following........

1. Previous Passports that i have been using.
  2. Tax file transcript for last 5 years
  3. Last 3 months bank statements
  4. Drivers License or Any state ID.
  5. If Married/Divorced the supporting Documents

What more evidence was asked in the yellow letter?

Thanks Rick & Chez

congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.