18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello my VJ members, I wanted to know how long after arrving does it take to get your green card or "WELCOME PACKET" in the mail?

I also wanted to know where can I go to check on the status of the issuance of it??? Thanks for your help.

I assume you paid the IV fee ($165)?

So long as that was paid, you should get your GC within 2 - 8 weeks. If it takes longer than that, then start hassling them. Don't fret too much - your visa acts as a 1 year green card while you wait for the real thing to show up.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

We never received my wife's original GC. We filed a form I-90 in March and we are still waiting. Looking on the website (for processing times) they are still on Jan 8 applications.

(Even though our case status says it only takes 3.5 months)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We never received my wife's original GC. We filed a form I-90 in March and we are still waiting. Looking on the website (for processing times) they are still on Jan 8 applications.

(Even though our case status says it only takes 3.5 months)

This sounds like you are talking about something different than this thread is about.

oldlady.gif

This sounds like you are talking about something different than this thread is about.

Not really, the OP asked about receiving the GC and welcome packet. We never got ours so, therefore it is relevant or at least could become relevant if the OP ends up not receiving their GC.

Timeline

Not really, the OP asked about receiving the GC and welcome packet. We never got ours so, therefore it is relevant or at least could become relevant if the OP ends up not receiving their GC.

Oh I think I'm understanding now.

You meant working on I-90 forms from January.

I thought you meant an application for a green card lmao.

oldlady.gif

Oh I think I'm understanding now.

You meant working on I-90 forms from January.

I thought you meant an application for a green card lmao.

Yup...I guess I could have been more clear...guess that is what I get for multitasking...err attempting to headbonk.gif

My wife never got any kind of "Welcome Packet". The only thing she got was a USPS priority mail envelope with her Green Card,and a small pamphlet saying "Welcome to the US". Took about a month after POE.

Timeline

My wife never got any kind of "Welcome Packet". The only thing she got was a USPS priority mail envelope with her Green Card,and a small pamphlet saying "Welcome to the US". Took about a month after POE.

You say you didn't receive a welcome packet, but you received a pamphlet that says Welcome to the US..........

You pullin' my leg here?

oldlady.gif

Errr...alright you got me here. But seriously...when people say "Welcome Packet" I'm expecting something like what I got when I started working for my company. A bunch of booklets, pamphlets, papers, documents....as becoming a new employee is not a small matter and requires some amount of information. Becomes a citizen of a country is even a bigger deal, so when I get a simple 3 page pamphlet which essentially says very little, it's not quite a "packet". By definition, a packet implies a "bundle" or "collection" of items. 1 item does not qualify as a packet for me.

Errr...alright you got me here. But seriously...when people say "Welcome Packet" I'm expecting something like what I got when I started working for my company. A bunch of booklets, pamphlets, papers, documents....as becoming a new employee is not a small matter and requires some amount of information. Becomes a citizen of a country is even a bigger deal, so when I get a simple 3 page pamphlet which essentially says very little, it's not quite a "packet". By definition, a packet implies a "bundle" or "collection" of items. 1 item does not qualify as a packet for me.

Was it by any chance a paper version of this? http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

That's what I've been assuming the Welcome packet is...

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

No...it was a tri-fold, single-page pamphlet. I know you can download that huge pdf online, but not every immigrant has a computer.

Sorry. Only curious if that was it.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.