TJandJR

Fedex vs. USPS

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone. Hope all is well with each and every one of you.

I want to mail our 8 lb package to Lagos Nigeria that my fiancé needs for the interview. It will cost $272 with fedex but only $77 with USPS flat rate international. I'm just recovering from all the bad luck that recently befell me and my family so saving money is important. But it's also important that the package arrive at its destination. I'm mailing it to him at his job. We think it will have a better chance of getting to him. Was wondering if both couriers just get it into the country and to customs or if they deliver it all the way to its destination?

Anyone use USPS? What are the pros and cons of my choices and maybe there's another choice I didn't think of? I always appreciate and welcome input from all of you. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We used USPS when I mailed 13 lbs of documents for my husband's interview. It was sent via Priority Mail International and cost about $105.00. Didn't have any problems.

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

USPS does not travel into foreign countries to deliver mail. You will have to rely on the Nigerian post office to deliver the package

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Timeline

USPS does not travel into foreign countries to deliver mail. You will have to rely on the Nigerian post office to deliver the package

Fortunately I didn't rely on them to deliver the package. I put a big note, highlighted in yellow with red lettering, to hold for pick up and contact the recipient upon arrival of the package. They texted him when it got there. Don't know if this would work all the time, but it worked for us. Being that USPS is by far cheaper than DHL/FedEx and from other VJers experience, this is as good a route as the other couriers for the package to make to its destination or not. I believe it is a 50/50 chance with any of them.

Toni

USCIS STAGE (for me):

NVC STAGE (for him):
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):

Naturalization Journey:

Timeline

We've used just about everything.....USPS is cheaper but packages can go missing (as you have to rely on the Nigerian post on the back end). UPS, DHL and Fedex are much more expensive but reliable.

We have recently started using a company called Impex Worldwide. They are based in New Jersey and send shipments to Nigeria on an almost daily basis. They are super reliable and cheaper than UPS/Fedex. You can check them out at http://impexworldwide.com/ . Basically, you send your package to their New Jersey office with the name, city and phone number of the recipient. While it is in route to Nigeria, they will send you an invoice with the delivery fee. This can either be paid by you here in the US or by the recipient in Nigeria. They will call the recipient when the package arrives in their city. We typically send packages to Jos and Abuja and have never had a problem.

Filed: Timeline

We've used just about everything.....USPS is cheaper but packages can go missing (as you have to rely on the Nigerian post on the back end). UPS, DHL and Fedex are much more expensive but reliable.

We have recently started using a company called Impex Worldwide. They are based in New Jersey and send shipments to Nigeria on an almost daily basis. They are super reliable and cheaper than UPS/Fedex. You can check them out at http://impexworldwide.com/ . Basically, you send your package to their New Jersey office with the name, city and phone number of the recipient. While it is in route to Nigeria, they will send you an invoice with the delivery fee. This can either be paid by you here in the US or by the recipient in Nigeria. They will call the recipient when the package arrives in their city. We typically send packages to Jos and Abuja and have never had a problem.

I will never use USPS again due to that backend nonsense in Nigeria.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

I think there is some confusion going on here, between USPS and UPS. I have sent my husband some documents by United States Postal Service(USPS) and paid for the international rate and all that, and it never reached him. So when I had to send some items for his interview, I had to use a courier. So I used FedEx and they told me that it will get there in four days, but the estimated delivery date was the 10th, the day of his interview. I made a phone call and the package was sitting in customs waiting to be cleared, after the supervisor checked things and I told her how important the items were, she sent an email and the package was put on the truck the next day and he received it.

heart.gif MS RILEYheart.gif

Timeline

Aya820 so you put a note on it for him to pick up as soon as it arrived in the country? Picked up from where? He's in Lagos. I wonder if that's where mail goes when it first enters the country. I was going to mail it to his work place because I think it's easier to find than his apartment.

Timeline

Aya820 so you put a note on it for him to pick up as soon as it arrived in the country? Picked up from where? He's in Lagos. I wonder if that's where mail goes when it first enters the country. I was going to mail it to his work place because I think it's easier to find than his apartment.

I believe mail goes to the post office after clearing customs. He was in Lagos also, and the note was for the post office. My hope was they would not try to deliver the package to his apartment, but to hold on to it and contact him to pick it up there. I know for the Nigerian post office it was alot to ask for, but it worked.good.gif

Toni

USCIS STAGE (for me):

NVC STAGE (for him):
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):

Naturalization Journey:

Timeline

Since it is documents and you want them to reach your fiance on time and be tracked. I would suggest FexEx or UPS. Although it is more expensive at least it is more reliable. I have used USPS as well and had no problems for things to reach my husband at all. But, because you want to make sure your docs get there safely and on time AND WE ARE DEALING WITH NIGERIA then I suggest unless you can ask someone who is traveling themselves to deliver them to your man, DO yourself a favor and send it in the safest way possible. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.