vanityyve

K1 Visa Philippines interview experience July 2013

5 posts in this topic

Interview Day- It was a nerve wrecking process but eventually got through it. Praise God of his goodness!

6:30AM- Went to the gate of Embassy of the United States Manila (their gate is the one with green roof on it and you will see 2 grey tents with small sign boards hanging at the center). At the left is the line for Immigrant Visa and Fiancee Applicants and at the right is for Non-immigrant / Other or Seafarers.

TIP: You would need to present your:

a. Passport

b. Appointment Confirmation Letter

c. Organized DS-Forms. They only require from me 2 copies of DS-156 (with stapled 2×2 visa photos), 2 copies of DS-157 and 1 copy of DS-156K. They did not ask for my DS-230. Make sure to have those on hand before you reach the embassy staff wearing blue shirt (meaning you have to pull those papers out from your clear book.

Question they asked from me:

1. Are you done with your medical?

2. Are the results in CD?

Once done, they stapled all the required documents and requested me to put my passport inside a ziplock which they provided, showing off the biographic info page.

8:00AM- Finally entered the 1st door with my fiance. Since I didn’t bring a bag with me just my 3 folders, I didn’t had any problems going through their security scan check. My next stop was at the first 3 windows. Went to Window 1 to submit the stapled documents she asked for my full name and if I’m pregnant then gave me 2 stubs of my number (6186) the one was attached to my appointment letter and DS Forms the other one was given to me as applicant’s copy and instructed me to look for a seat at the right side of their waiting area, not the side with chairs near Kodak booth, because those are for non-immigrant/ seafarers.

When we were able to find our seats, another staff approached the applicants, gave instructions on how to fill out DS Forms correctly, “you should not leave a question/item blank” that’s what they’re trying to point out. If it’s not applicable then you will just have to put NA or NONE. Apparently, the staff just gave emphasis to DS-156 Question # 26-28 and should be signed, DS-157 Question #10- if your passport was issued in the Philippines then that should be written below, then DS-156 K (the part where Consul will assist you in answering it) I was hesitant to answer that part however, the staff said she was given by Consuls an authority to advise applicants to put the name of the fiancé and signed by the applicant.

Once done, give it to the staff and wait for your number to be posted on the board in front of you. (You should be attentive to it as they are posting numbers in random).

9:30AM- Our number was posted in the board with the assigned window beside it, so we were instructed to enter in through Door #2, the door beside it is for American citizens. You will go through a security scan check (again). Went directly to Window 43. A young male foreigner staff asked for my full name and birthdate. He then instructed me to put my Left four fingers on the scanner, my right afterwards then both my thumbs. Then he told me to take a seat and wait for my number to be called . We went out as the chairs inside the building were all occupied and you are not allowed to stand up at the back.

10:45AM- My number was called at Window 56 wherein I was interviewed by a Filipina Consul. She asked for my valid PASSPORT, NSO BC, CENOMAR, NBI, and the BPI receipt. Then a few seconds she asked for my fiance’s Affidavit of Support, Form 1040 and Wage Statements.

Questions she asked me:

1. What is your name?

2. When is your birthdate?

3. How old are you?

4. How and When did you two meet?

Questions she asked for my fiancé:

1. What is your name sir?

2. How old are you?

3. How many times did you visit her?

Once done, she instructed us to take a seat again and wait for our number to be called. Unfortunately, it took a very long time that we were advised to take lunch break and be back exactly at 1PM. Since we only have 55 mins left, we decided to just grab something to eat from their mini canteen outside at the center aisle. Then we went back in 10 mins before 1PM.

2PM- Our number was called at Window 59. I thought the American Consul was an old strict guy, but to my surprise he was friendly and funny. He doesn’t laugh nor smile a lot but you can tell at his looks that there’s nothing to be nervous about. Beside him was a young Consul probably a trainee observing how interviews should be done.

Questions he asked:

1. How you doing? (he first looked at my fiance then gazed at me)

2. How is he to you? Is he a good or bad guy? – answered: Very Good guy!

3. Can you tell me about that? What is very good for you? – answered: He has all the traits in a guy that I really want or been looking for

4. And what are those traits? – answered: He is very sweet, understanding and thoughtful.

Then he told us you’re okay now and didn’t ask for my photos that I made effort with organizing them on my folders. He gave me pamphlet with regard to domestic violence and instructed us to wait for our number to be called for Visa Delivery Confirmation.

2:15PM- Our number was called again at Window 68. The Filipino guy asked for my full name and just said “You’re good to go” and didn’t gave us any piece of paper (most of the approved applicants there were given a piece of paper) which made me inform him that I opted to pick my visa at 2GO MOA. He told me that the courier will just inform me through text. So I assumed that if you are given a piece of paper that is for delivery instructions and if you were not given one that’s for pick up. Well anyhow, it made us so incredibly happy that I got it over with.

For more info: http://k1visaapplicant.wordpress.com

Thanks for the review and congrats on getting approved!

K1 Visa Timeline

• xx-xx-2005 - Met in an online creative writing forum for anime (Yes, we are nerds. Awesome ones, at that.) Became friends ever since and chatted mostly on YM. Our characters' names were Kumi and Drake.
  • 11-20-2011 - We became a couple.
  • 05-16-2012 to 05-25-2012 - First visit
  • 11-08-2012 - NOA1
  • 12-11-2012 to 12-18-2012 - Second visit
  • 05-08-2013 - NOA2
  • 06-13-2013 to 06-14-2013 - Two-day medical exam; passed!
  • 07-19-2013 - He visits again to be with me for the interview
  • 07-22-2013 - Interview date / APPROVED!
  • 08-01-2013 - Seattle POE
  • 08-02-2013 - Arrived in MO.
  • 09-01-2013 - Married!

AOS Timeline

• 10-01-2013- Sent AOS/EAD/AP in.
  • 10-10-2013 - NOA1 Date
  • 11-05-2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 12-05-2013 - EAD/AP: approved
  • 12-17-2013 - Combo card received
  • 01-10-2014 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver case
  • 01-24-2014 - Card production
  • 01-29-2014 - Card mailed
  • 01-31-2014 - Permanent Residency Card received
  • 05-05-2014 - Job offer

ROC TImeline

• 10-26-2015- Second Anniversary of Permanent Residency
  • 11-03-2015 - Sent I-751 application
  • 11-05-2015 - NOA1 Receipt Date
  • 12-04-2015 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 05-18-2016 - Card production

Thanks All, I am just waiting for my visa to be available for pick up and once I have it on hand will go back for CFO sticker on my certificate. Had my Guidance and Counseling seminar the day after my interview. Went there in the morning hoping to be included in their morning slot, unfortunately I was scheduled for the afternoon slot already. Felt like a whole day activity but it's all worth it. The seminar was very informative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.