Brazil to vote on eliminating tourist visas for USC's

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/5676/53/

Brazil Congress Votes this Month on Eliminating Visas for US Tourists

Written by Roberta Lopes

Thursday, 02 March 2006

Brazil's Minister of Tourism, Walfrido dos Mares Guia, speaking at the São Paulo Industrial Federation (Federação das Indústrias do Estado de São Paulo) (Fiesp), said he was in favor of eliminating the visa requirement for US tourists.

Mares Guia said the visa and a mandatory payment of US$ 100 was holding back the development of tourism in Brazil.

The Minister suggested that the visa could be issued when the US tourist arrives in Brazil, rather than beforehand (which would reduce red tape), and that the US$ 100 tax could be eliminated.

Spokespersons at the ministry said the proposed changes had gotten a favorable reception in Congress where a bill dealing with the subject is expected to be voted on by the end of March.

However, the Ministry of Foreign Relations says it is against eliminating the visa requirement based on the principle of reciprocity. In South America, only Brazil and Paraguay require US tourists to have visas, and only Brazil charges the US$100 tax.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/5676/53/

Brazil Congress Votes this Month on Eliminating Visas for US Tourists

Written by Roberta Lopes

Thursday, 02 March 2006

Brazil's Minister of Tourism, Walfrido dos Mares Guia, speaking at the São Paulo Industrial Federation (Federação das Indústrias do Estado de São Paulo) (Fiesp), said he was in favor of eliminating the visa requirement for US tourists.

Mares Guia said the visa and a mandatory payment of US$ 100 was holding back the development of tourism in Brazil.

The Minister suggested that the visa could be issued when the US tourist arrives in Brazil, rather than beforehand (which would reduce red tape), and that the US$ 100 tax could be eliminated.

Spokespersons at the ministry said the proposed changes had gotten a favorable reception in Congress where a bill dealing with the subject is expected to be voted on by the end of March.

However, the Ministry of Foreign Relations says it is against eliminating the visa requirement based on the principle of reciprocity. In South America, only Brazil and Paraguay require US tourists to have visas, and only Brazil charges the US$100 tax.

I don't think dropping the fee will increase the US tourists in Brasil... :no: And if it does, I agree with it, just because of the fact of US tourists will bring money to my country. But seems the Real is not helping to invite US tourists.

However, Brasil just ask visas from countries that asks visas for Brazilians... What about US NOT ask visas for Brazilians??? :angry: That would be great!!!

Carol ;)

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Timeline

I disagree. I think dropping the fee/visa requirement will greatly increase toursim. It is a complete pain the @ss for a USC to get a visa for Brazil, and most just say "forget it" and spend their money somewhere else.

The US visa restriciton will never be lifted for Brazilians. Brazilians are second only to Mexicans in the amount of illegals here in the US.

Edited by flipside

Timeline

I dont know if they will do it someday!

Mas será que a gente pode falar em portugês?? só Brasil aqui... auahuaha

Visa Approved!

Removal of Conditions

21/03 - VSC Received it

24/03 - NOA 1

27/03 - Check Cashed

08/04 - Biometrics received

July 8th - Approved

"Do you think who made the ears wont listen to you? Do you think who made the eyes, wont see? God is always watching you and listening to you"

988_d85d41946422f5b8fb58899bbfd0ba87_prod.jpg

Timeline

Claro que eles nao vao parar de pedir vistos pros brasileiros... Eu sei, tem muitos ilegais... E a gente acaba pagando por isso...

E por causa disso, eu acho que o Brasil deve continuar pedindo tambem... Really, nao acho q o turismo vai aumentar por causa disso, at all!!! O que ajudaria, seria SE o Real perdesse seu valor, o que nao estah acontecendo agora... E espero que o Real continue melhorando...(ganhando valor)

US100 nao eh nada para um americano, mesmo tendo q preencher os formularios... O Marc recebeu o visto dele em casa em 10 dias... Nao tem nem entrevista... Bem diferente da papelada interminavel que vc tem q apresentar e ainda sair da sua cidade pra atender a uma entrevista.

Acho que nao temos privilegio pro visto americano, e nao acho q americanos devam ter algum privilegio...

Uma mao lava a outra... Got it???

Carol ;)

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Timeline
Acho que nao temos privilegio pro visto americano, e nao acho q americanos devam ter algum privilegio...

Concordo!

Ainda mais pq eles tem é a idéia de que aqui é "A" festa.

Acho que deveria ser igual, mas fazer o que se as autoridades brasileiras são burras ?? ahhhaa

Visa Approved!

Removal of Conditions

21/03 - VSC Received it

24/03 - NOA 1

27/03 - Check Cashed

08/04 - Biometrics received

July 8th - Approved

"Do you think who made the ears wont listen to you? Do you think who made the eyes, wont see? God is always watching you and listening to you"

988_d85d41946422f5b8fb58899bbfd0ba87_prod.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

When I go to Peru I am granted a tourist visa when I arrive: a week to 90 days depending on your stay. Also there is no fee--until you leave. Yeah it cost money to leave Peru $27.52 per head. But still those fees/tax are way less than you pay here in the USA even for domestic travel.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am sorry but I disagree... it is not a pain in the ### to get a visa to come here....it is really easy... you just send your passport with the fee and the flight itinerary to the Brazilian consulate and after one or 2 weeks.. there it is... knocking on your door... if you think it is a pain in the ### try to get a tourist visa here to go to the USA...you get to pay 100 dollars (remember it is not garanted to get a visa and yet you won't get your money back in case you don't), have to prove that you have enough ties to your country (aka you have to bring your entire life in documents to the consulate), wait 4 hours to get an interview... and most of the time you get A NO just because the CO was in a bad mood...

Talk about pain in the ###

and I agree... we should just go with the reciprocity... when the US drop it for us.. we do for them :thumbs:

brazilCq14.gifLiszy & Kenny usaCa.gif

----~~~-----

12/26/06 Sent AOS to Chicago

04/16/07 Green Card approved w/o interview !! YYYAAAYY

----~~~-----

03/16/2009 - I-751 sent to VSC

03/17/2009 - VSC received

03/18/2009 - NOA 1

03/20/2009 - Check cashed

03/23/2009 - NOA 1 in mail

04/01/2009 - Biometrics letter

04/14/2009 - Biometrics

04/15/2009 - Touched

04/16/2009 - I guess I can lay down and sleep now ?

07/16/2009 - 3 months later...... nothing... oh well

07/21/2009 - Card production ordered w/o interview again :) !! woohooo

07/22/2009 - Touched

07/30/2009 - Card is here !

----~~~-----

01/23/2019 - I-90 sent online

01/28/2019 - Notice of receipt in the mail

02/01/2019 - Biometrics notice in the mail

02/15/2019 - Biometrics

02/21/2019 - Card being produced

02/23/2019 - Card received!!

Timeline

Why is it a pain in the @ss for americans to get a visa for Brazil?

Because we don't need one for just about anywhere else. Just that fact that we need a visa makes it a pain in the ###.

Trust me, when I lived in Rio for 4 years it was like pulling teeth trying to get friends and family to come visit me, all because of the visa issue.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well.. the same goes for us... we don't need a visa for just about anywhere else also... I went to Europe a ton of times... with just my tickets and money to spend there.. no harrasment

Now... when I tried to go to the US... of course I got a BIG NO

Edited by Lisz
brazilCq14.gifLiszy & Kenny usaCa.gif

----~~~-----

12/26/06 Sent AOS to Chicago

04/16/07 Green Card approved w/o interview !! YYYAAAYY

----~~~-----

03/16/2009 - I-751 sent to VSC

03/17/2009 - VSC received

03/18/2009 - NOA 1

03/20/2009 - Check cashed

03/23/2009 - NOA 1 in mail

04/01/2009 - Biometrics letter

04/14/2009 - Biometrics

04/15/2009 - Touched

04/16/2009 - I guess I can lay down and sleep now ?

07/16/2009 - 3 months later...... nothing... oh well

07/21/2009 - Card production ordered w/o interview again :) !! woohooo

07/22/2009 - Touched

07/30/2009 - Card is here !

----~~~-----

01/23/2019 - I-90 sent online

01/28/2019 - Notice of receipt in the mail

02/01/2019 - Biometrics notice in the mail

02/15/2019 - Biometrics

02/21/2019 - Card being produced

02/23/2019 - Card received!!

Timeline
Because we don't need one for just about anywhere else. Just that fact that we need a visa makes it a pain in the ###.

And I think you better get used to it, ;) because if the US consulates around the world keeps denying 50% or more of the visas, more and more countries will start to ask visas for americans... :yes:

Carol :thumbs:

Well.. the same goes for us... we don't need a visa for just about anywhere else also... I went to Europe a ton of times... with just my tickets and money to spend there.. no harrasment

Now... when I tried to go to the US... of course I got a BIG NO

Just on the point Lisz!!!

I'm sorry, flipside, but we are going to have the same situation ('pulling teeth') or probably worse when we go to get our families and friends here... Most of people are being denied to the B-2 visa and I wont probably see any of my relatives or friends coming to visit me one day... So, if we dont get visas, at least we MUST charge it for the americans... AND I cannot blame it... I understand the situation here... But, americans needs to understand our situation too...

Carol ;)

Edited by Carol&Marc

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Timeline
I disagree. I think dropping the fee/visa requirement will greatly increase toursim. It is a complete pain the @ss for a USC to get a visa for Brazil, and most just say "forget it" and spend their money somewhere else.

The US visa restriciton will never be lifted for Brazilians. Brazilians are second only to Mexicans in the amount of illegals here in the US.

It was not a pain for Dave to get his visa to come visit me. And that was not an issue to any of his friends either...

It only took 2 weeks for him to get his and he just had to send his passport in the mail and wait.

Yeah just the fact you need a visa to go anywhere is a pain but what about the amount of pain we're going through right now not being able to live with the person we love? I think that's a lot more impotant than just going somewhere to have fun, isn't it?

What about when my family wants to visit me in the US??

Reciprocity is the word!

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Timeline

Yes... I know there are tons of illegal brazilians in the USA, but there are a lot of people that have a good financial condition and show all evidence that they only want to visit their relatives up there, and they have their visa denied after a tiring waiting for an interview and money spent! Some of them live far from the Consulate and need to travel for hours to have their interview too! I've heard that it's even too difficult for moms to get their visas to stay for some days with their pregnant daughters in the USA!

I don't know if things will be fair someday, but charging this fee for the visa is the minnimum our country can do! :hehe:

I would only be favour to eliminate the visa fee if our government did a good research on it and was sure that this procedure would be able to increase tourism in Brazil! But actually, I also don't think it would!

BRAUSA2.jpg

AMERIZILIANS ALL THE WAY!!! :P

K-1 Journey

--> Jan 27th, 2006 - Sent the petition to Nebraska SC.

--> Jan 31st, 2006 - 1st NOA received by mail.

--> April 20th, 2006 - 2nd NOA in snail mail!

--> May 5th, 2006 - NVC received and left

--> May 24th, 2006 - Pack. 3 received and left (never received package 4, so the Embassy sent me its content by e-mail)

--> June 26th, 2006 - Medical in São Paulo (Dr. Celso Rodrigues Fava)

--> July 11th - Interview APPROVED!! :D

--> July 13th - Visa in hand

AOS

--> Novr 11th, 2006 - Sent AOS and EAD forms

--> Nov 17th, 2006 - NOA 1

--> Dec 4th, 2006 - Biometrics (appt. letter rec. in 11/24)

--> Nov 28th, 2006 - RFE received

--> Jan, 8th, 2007 - RFE sent

--> Jan, 30th, 2007 - EAD card received

--> Mar, 13th, 2007 - Interview - Pending Security Checks

--> July, 16th, 2007 - USCIS site: Security checks cleared. Welcome Letter in the way!

--> July, 26th, 2007 - GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!! (done with USCIS until 04/2009)

Removing Conditions on Residency

--> April 16th, 2009 - Sent I-751 Application to California Service Center

--> May 8th, 2009 - NOA received (1 year extension letter]

--> June 1st, 2009 - Biometrics appt. letter received

I LOVE MY BABE CHRIS!

Timeline

Well, unfortunatly for the Brazilian people, a few bad apples ruined it for the rest of you. It's a shame really.

My Finace's sisters 7 year old daughter was turned down for a tourist visa trying to go to Disney. The craziest part is both of her parents have 10 year tourist visas!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.