Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Citizenship for child

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I petitioned for my 6 years old child in Jamaica and she rec'd immigrant visa to come to the USA. The package given to her mom states that I should pay $165 to uscis, which I did. My question/concern is I paid the $165 but this is for a green card, I thought that me being a naturalized citizen she wouldn't need green card, I assumed she would derived citizenship through me. Am I missing something???

Remove Condition

Oct-04-2008 filed I-751

Oct-20-2008 NOA from VSC of I-751

Nov-11-2008 Received date for biometric for

Mar-10-2009 Transfered to CSC

May-27-2009 Green Card approved

File Citizenship {N-400}

Nov-14-2009 Mailed N-400 application

Nov-24-2009 Check cashed

Nov-27-2009 Rec'd NOA in mail, dated 11/23/2009

Jan-04-2010 Rec'd Interview date in mail

Feb-02-2010 Interview date

Apr-21-2010 Oath Ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're missing an understaning of how your daughter derives US citizenship from you.

Under the Child Cutizenship Act, your daughter need to meet 4 conditions to automatically be a US citizen -

1. Have a US citizen parent; and

2. Live in the legal custody of the US citizen parent; and

3. Be under age 18; and

4. Be admitted to the US as an LPR.

So to get automatic US citizenship through you, your daughter needs a green card first.

To gain US citizenship under the CCA, the child must be a green card holder first.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through the same thing with my daughter,after u recieved the green card u jst apply for her passport,send the green card and your proof of citizen and any other documents thats required,my daugher nvr used her green card,as i recieved it i snd it right bk with my pasdport n get her us passport,and for sume strange reason they even send bk her green card with her passport.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.