jpborn

Quick Question from I-130 filer in Taiwan...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help here. I filed an I-130 for my wife and, forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I guess this was for an IR-1. I want her to get a green card or at least be legal to live with me in the US when I return permanently from Taiwan in August.

I married a Taiwanese woman and filed an I-130, with G-325A's in early May. I sent all this to the lockbox in Chicago and got a letter saying they received this info. I am waiting to hear back from them and I guess the next step will be to file an I-864 from my co-sponsor, and her crime reports, etc, correct?

I imagine that she will be interviewed in Taiwan, but she wants to move to the US in September. For now she can come on a tourist visa for three months but can she have the interview in the US? Will she have to fly back to Taiwan?

Did I do the process correctly and what should I be expecting to have to submit for the next round if and, hopefully, when my I-130 is approved.

Thanks again for all the help!

It's doubtful that her process will be finished by August or September but there is hope. Right now you're playing the waiting game with the USCIS.

She will have to do her medical and interview in Taiwan.

I would read the first two pages of this thread and all the links to do your homework before you get to the next stage.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433472-nvc-filers-june-2013/

best of luck to you!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks NikiR, I really appreciate you posting so rapidly and pointing me to this very useful FAQ page, you guys are awesome!!

I thought she will probably have to go back to do the interview, and with my luck we'll probably get notice the week she arrives or something and she'll have to turn right around and go back...

But really thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up Question about I-864.

I am in the process of filling out I-864 and am a bit confused. I need my father to co-sponser us because my employment status on returning to the US in the fall is still up in the air. I had initially thought that he would have to fill out the I-864 but on detailed look, I think I am the sponsor. So would he have to fill out another form? Is he the joint sponsor? Would he have to fill out another form?

On page three where it says information about the sponsor, is that my father or me?

Really sorry for the confusion so thanks very much for your help!!

Both you and your joint sponsor need to sign a completed I-864. You as her primary sponsor and your father as your joint sponsor.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

NikiR thank you again for your rapid responses, it really means a lot.

"Both you and your joint sponsor need to sign a completed I-864. You as her primary sponsor and your father as your joint sponsor."

Another related quick question:

The first form I fill out, listing me as the sponsor and the second one does my father put his name on the first line where it says I, xxxxxx, am the sponsor?

Or is that still me on his form and then he just checks off 1d, "I am the only joint sponsor" ? That doesn't make sense, because joint sponsor implies 2 sponsors right?

Or do I need to fill out 1e "I am the first of two joint sponsors", and then my father checks 1e as, "I am the second of two joint sponsors"

Or should I just have my father fill his form out as the only single sponsor? That doesn't make sense!

Thanks again so much for your help!!!

One last question, the mailing address on both is the address I put on the I-130? That is my address in the United States? She is still in Taiwan.

For his form do I put his address in the US?

Thanks again!!

The second option. You are the sponsor 1, a. and he is the only joint sponsor. 1, d.

You put your address on the I-864.

Your father's address goes on his I-864.

When you get to Part 5 -

You enter 1 into the first box and unless you have children, zeros into the other boxes making your number = 2

Your father will enter 1 into the first box, if he is married he needs to enter 1 into the spouse box (his wife should also sign a completed an I-864a if they file jointly) and then for any children he has under the age of 18 need to be also noted.

No worries! I'm happy to hear you're almost done! :D

Now be good and :time: LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi NikiR,

I have one more question regarding this, hopefully you will see this...

You mention above that if our joint sponsor, my father, has filed a joint tax return with his spouse, my stepmom, she needs to also fill out an I864a and send in her tax returns as well??? Oh man, that's going to be troublesome I think...Anyway, could you confirm that as being absolutely necessary, and I'm trying to find out from my dad if he filed jointly or not, hopefully not, but I think it's pretty common!

Thanks again for your help and I will fill out a timeline as soon as I get a chance!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.