Ridcully41

I have a freind who is convinced he may be a US citizen, but i think he is wrong

10 posts in this topic

Not sure if i have this in the right forum if i havn't please feel free to move it

ok long story short, there is this guy i know, not really a freind more of a work colleauge and just recently his mother passed away. when he was doing the paperwork for her death certificate he came across his mothers birth certificate.

As it turns out his mother was born in Miami Fl,(he had no clue) apperently his grandparents were there for a while working in the hotel trade back in the 50's as far as i know both grandparents were UK citizens and never naturalized and must have moved back here not long after this guys mum was born,from what i know his mother never travelled much so never needed a passport of any kind .

ok thats the backround now the question. ever since he found this birth certificate he seems to think that all he has to do is fill in some paperwork and he is automatically a US citizen, but as i told him it's not that simple and not how it works (i have been waiting nearly a year for my IR-1),another thing he is way over 21 . i have tried to tell him he is most likely wrong, but he is not having any of it, can anyone shed some light on this?.

if anyone could post a link to the relevant peice of information that would be even better because no matter what i tell him he won't belive me unless i can show him something in writing

thanks for your help

Ridcully

Edit: http://americansabroad.org/issues/citizenship/citizenship-requirements-faqs/ Substitute Spanish for British.

Q: I was born abroad. My American mother is married to my Spanish father. Am I a US citizen? A: Yes, if your mother was physically present in the US at least five years prior to your birth, two of which were after age 14. Honorable US military service, employment with the US Government or intergovernmental international organization or as the dependent unmarried daughter and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment, may be included.

So, if she didn't live there and was only born there, he can't claim citizenship.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If yer friend thinks he just fills out some paperwork, then you should 'let' your friend go forth.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

If yer friend thinks he just fills out some paperwork, then you should 'let' your friend go forth.

Haha! I thought that too, but I was curious to know. If only it were that simple, eh? :)

Thetford

Sorry. I edited my post with a probable answer. Re-check!

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Oh, and here's the department of state version: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_5199.html

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Oh, and here's the department of state version: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_5199.html

Thanks for that i will show that to him , i also meant to add in my first post that i'm not doing this to be mean but to save himself from himself. just in case at any point in his futre he decides he ever wants to visit the USA as i know a false claim to citizenship is a huge no no.

Thanks for that i will show that to him , i also meant to add in my first post that i'm not doing this to be mean but to save himself from himself. just in case at any point in his futre he decides he ever wants to visit the USA as i know a false claim to citizenship is a huge no no.

To be honest, even if his mum did live there for long enough and up until the age 16, since he didn't even know they were ever there, I expect he'd have a hard time getting the evidence together to show she qualified to pass on her citizenship.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

To be honest, even if his mum did live there for long enough and up until the age 16, since he didn't even know they were ever there, I expect he'd have a hard time getting the evidence together to show she qualified to pass on her citizenship.

he knew his granparents were there in the 50's but not that his mum was born in Miami (not sure why that was ever kept from him)i would guess he was under the impression that they moved back so his mum was born here

i guess some families just love secrets

Edited by Ridcully41

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.