Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rakesh gupta

Green Card Renual Process

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

I came here in USA before 8 months with I-130 Form. My wife was citizen but before 2 months, she gave me divorce. My green card has 2 yrs validity. So now what i do for it's renual. If i can't get to reneiw it, so what happen with me? like i can't stay here or if i want to stay here and want to get Citizenship than what i do?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little confusing there, Rakesh, but I think you are saying that you came on a spouse visa 8 months ago, but your former wife divorced you two months after arrival OR two months ago. You are now looking to remove conditions on your green card for the 10 year residence?

If so, you will need to file for your RoC (Removal of Conditions) with a waiver for divorce. The paperwork you need to provide will be proof that your marriage was in good faith, in other words joint finances, family or friend group photos with both of you in, a letter from your ex stating it was a genuine marriage would be helpful but isn't strictly necessary (depends on if you are on good terms with her) and any other requested evidence on the information sheet that comes with the RoC document; and you will probably receive an RFE pending the paperwork showing that your divorce is complete (ie decree nisi/absolute).

As you will be divorced from your sponsor, citizenship requires 5 years of green card residency before you can apply.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Brit Abroad


AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.