big red

doing medical exam again, vaccines

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Before my now husband came to the US on his k1 visa, he had 2 medical exams done in Ciudad Juarez Mexico. His most recent one was in January 2013. When I was filling out the paper work to adjust his status and came across the medical exam requirements I noticed that both his medical exams reports were not filled out completely by the medical examiner in Juarez. They never checked off the result section, or filled in the vaccines he had. So, from what I understood he needs to get a medical again done here in the USA.

What are they going to do at the medical exam here? He only has a few vaccines documented from a doctor in Mexico in his own health booklet. Is he going to be required to do a lot of vaccines now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Juarez gave you a copy of his medical documents? That is highly unusual. They typically do not even give a copy of the DS-3025 or give a blank one. Did you actually mean the vaccination sheet, DS-3025? That is not his medical documentation, just the vaccinations. He does not need another medical if his K-1 medical was done within a year of filing for AOS. He will need to find a civil surgeon that will do the vaccinations only and not insist on another medical. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/231026-civil-surgeons-who-dont-rip-you-off/

He needs page 1 and the vaccinations page of the I-693 filled out by the civil surgeon. Take his shot records with you to the civil surgeon. The required vaccinations for AOS are, MMR, Tdap/TD, varicella(or history of chickenpox), and flu shot(only during flu season- Oct. - Mar.)

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thank you for the reply!! I found on the USCIS website the vaccination requirements stating (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3384cc5222ff5210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=6abe6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD):

Under the immigration laws of the United States, a foreign national who applies for an immigrant visa abroad, or who seeks to adjust status to a permanent resident while in the United States, is required to receive vaccinations to prevent the following diseases:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Polio
  • Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B
  • Hepatitis B
  • Any other vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices

Then on CDC website it says (http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html) :

The following age-appropriate vaccinations are required for adjustment of status applicants, based on the above criteria or per INA Section 212 (8 U.S.C. 1182)(a)(1):

• Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Pertussis
  • Polio
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Rotavirus
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Meningococcal
  • Varicella
  • Pneumococcal
  • Influenza

The one on the CDC states a few more than the one on USCIS. Are you sure it is only required a few shots, or is the whole list required? Because the only record he has of vaccinations are just 3.

Timeline

Yes, I am sure. All of those are not age appropriate for someone over 18.

Here is the chart from the CDC that shows what vaccinations by age will be required for AOS: http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

It is dated 2009, but the chart is still currently accurate.

You will need one in a series of MMR, Tdap(or TD), varicella(unless you already had the chickenpox), and a flu shot(if it is flu season Oct. - Mar.). Since it is not flu season, no flu shot is needed right now.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I am finding it hard for anyone I call on the phone to just fill out the vaccination record sheet. They are all saying the whole medical needs to be completed, and the doctor cannot just fill out the form. I gave a call to USCIS also and they agreed with you that only the vaccination record needs to be filled out. I guess this is going to be hard.

Timeline

You could not find anyone in your area in that thread I gave you the link to above? It can be frustrating and you may have to call farther away from where you live to find one that will do the vaccinations only. Make sure you tell them he is on a K-1 and the instructions for the I-693 and I-485 state another medical is not needed. You sometimes have to insist and point out the obvious to them. Some do not even know how it works for a K-1. Some know another medical is not needed for a K-1 but do not care and want to charge for it anyway. It happens that people get so fed up trying to find a civil surgeon that won't rip them off, that they just give in and get the medical anyway. We drove almost 2 hours away from where we live to get my husband's I-693 done. That was the only civil surgeon we could find that listened about the K-1 requirements and agreed to the vaccinations only.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.