X Factor

Is the Cross a pagan symbol that crept into the Christian Religion?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was looking at the History Channel some time ago and the point was made that the cross was not used by the early followers of Christ. I did a google search on the key words "origin of the cross" and there were some very interesting statements on the pagan origin of the cross.

http://rcg.org/questions/p096.a.html

''The cross was not widely used in mainstream Christianity until the time of the Roman emperor Constantine—about 300 years after Christ established His Church.

According to the book Babylon Mystery Religion, the cross originated among the ancient Babylonians of Chaldea. From there, it spread to ancient China, India, Mexico, parts of Africa and other places, centuries before Christianity was born.

Notice: “Ages ago in Italy, before the people knew anything of the arts of civilization, they believed in the cross as a religious symbol. It was regarded as a protector and was placed upon tombs. In 46 B.C., Roman coins show Jupiter holding a long scepter terminating in a cross. The Vestal Virgins of pagan Rome wore the cross suspended from their necklaces, as the nuns of the Roman Catholic church do now” (p. 51).''

Is it time to get rid of our crosses? What do you think.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since wood was not abundant in that region I'd suspect it was a stake and not a cross.

Why waste the very valuable timber and labor on a condemned criminal? Plus Roman's being found of crucifixion would have not made it a costly form of punishment. A cross makes little sense from an economic standpoint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_of_Jesus%27_crucifixion

PS. This is all speculation because the very existence of the person named Jesus by the bible is highly debatable.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.

Yes, it is true. The Protestants got it right - Catholics practice ritual cannibalism based on some ancient Babylonian devil worshiping cult.

Substitute catholic and Muslim and see how fast it would be shut down.

Since wood was not abundant in that region I'd suspect it was a stake and not a cross.

Why waste the very valuable timber and labor on a condemned criminal? Plus Roman's being found of crucifixion would have not made it a costly form of punishment. A cross makes little sense from an economic standpoint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_of_Jesus%27_crucifixion

PS. This is all speculation because the very existence of the person named Jesus by the bible is highly debatable.

I agree so is the existence of the prophet Muhammad.

Timeline

Substitute catholic and Muslim and see how fast it would be shut down.

I agree so is the existence of the prophet Muhammad.

Stop going after the protected class. ;)

My opinion is that all religions are based on wild speculation. Mainly they rely on believers not questioning the contents of their beliefs.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-17-2013 - NOA1

11-5-2013  -  Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Stop going after the protected class. wink.png

My opinion is that all religions are based on wild speculation. Mainly they rely on believers not questioning the contents of their beliefs.

I guess it used to be a good way of keeping people in line. Maybe it still is. Who wants to spend eternity taking it in the a$$ by a bunch of red guys with pitchforks in a burning hot environment? I guess the possibility of that happening keeps some people on the straight and narrow.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

I guess it used to be a good way of keeping people in line. Maybe it still is. Who wants to spend eternity taking it in the a$$ by a bunch of red guys with pitchforks in a burning hot environment? I guess the possibility of that happening keeps some people on the straight and narrow.

It's been the greatest form of mind control in human history.

What I find ridiculous about the old testament (Which many religions use) is that the "creator" puts a tree of knowledge within reach of the first two created child like morons and we have been locked out of this paradise because of their poor impulse control?

Come on, why do they put the candy section right at the grocery checkout? If that fairy tale is true, we were setup!

:)

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-17-2013 - NOA1

11-5-2013  -  Approved

Stop going after the protected class. wink.png

Agrreance

Timeline

Muslims don't practice ritual cannibalism.

Because they are not good Christians silly. :P

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-17-2013 - NOA1

11-5-2013  -  Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

That response is difficult to read without the necessary question mark at the end. Especially seeing how you went to the trouble to add a period.

laughing.gif

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.