Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

maintaining green card abroad

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello. I'm trying to solve a problem which has been addressed elsewhere but may be slightly different for me. I'm a U.S. citizen married to a green card holder. We're living and working in his country. He has never lived in the U.S. on his green card. He received the green card a year ago (I was hoping to move to the U.S. with him but instead he continued at his job

in his home country). He entered the U.S. on the immigrant visa/I-551 just before the six months was up, stayed for two weeks, and received the permanent residence card which expires in 2023, so that's only two weeks in the U.S. since the green card was issued a year ago. He can make another short trip to the U.S. before six months are up since the last entry, but I think he should wait until he can spend enough time in the U.S. to get a reentry permit. We can go together for a month in the fall and take care of this (we can't go for a month right now). Which option sounds less risky in terms of keeping the green card?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both are risky. If the fall option is less than a year form the original entry, he may well be ok, but ti also depends on whether he can show any ties to the USA, if asked (he may not be asked of course). For example bills, tax returns etc.

How long do you plan to stay abroad overall? The re-entry permit is really for a US resident who has to move abroad for a limited time, under 2 years. If you plan on staying abroad long term, he may be better off giving his greencard back at the local US embassy, which will make it very easy to get a tourist visa.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.