50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hmm, picked up my deer stands as they did logging over the summer and from what I can see it looks like I will be missing another hunting season. Linh doesn't care much for guns so I think I will keep them out of sight so as not to make her nervious. Most of my sister inlaws are hunters and so is my two college age daughters. I think it is something I will introduce her to very delicately because although she isn't vegetarian she is sympathetic to animals. I don't think she will have a problem with fishing though.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have often thought about how different things would be for my girl. She doesn't know how to cook, but keeps her room very tidy. I can barely cook anything except pasta, which she loves. I was thinking her and I can take some cooking classes together. I always see this in Korean dramas with couples who are getting married. :)

My only issue is my house is small. It's a one bedroom house and my daughter has the bedroom. My daughter is only here 3 days a week. I have a really nice sofa bed out in the living room, but I know she'd prefer for us to have a bedroom. I could turn the basement into a bedroom, but I don't know if that'd be worth the money. I've already tried to sell this house once and the people who seemed interested just laughed after they heard it was a one bedroom. We've talked about kids in the future, so this house won't cut it. dry.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have often thought about how different things would be for my girl. She doesn't know how to cook, but keeps her room very tidy. I can barely cook anything except pasta, which she loves. I was thinking her and I can take some cooking classes together. I always see this in Korean dramas with couples who are getting married. smile.png

My only issue is my house is small. It's a one bedroom house and my daughter has the bedroom. My daughter is only here 3 days a week. I have a really nice sofa bed out in the living room, but I know she'd prefer for us to have a bedroom. I could turn the basement into a bedroom, but I don't know if that'd be worth the money. I've already tried to sell this house once and the people who seemed interested just laughed after they heard it was a one bedroom. We've talked about kids in the future, so this house won't cut it. dry.png

Wow! A Vietnamese girl who cannot cook?? Now that's rare! I guess times are changing and the younger ones here in Vietnam do copy that Western style more and more.

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

06/25/2013 RFE recieved in mail

06/28/2013 RFE requested docs. sent to USCIS from abroad

07/08/2013 RFE entered into USCIS system as received and "RFE Review" status online

07/16/2013 NOA2 received by email

07/19/2013 Email from USCIS stating case file has been sent to NVC

07/27/2013 Hard copy of NOA2 recieved abroad (Vietnam) by mail

NVC:
08/02/2013 Received NVC case number via email

08/02/2013 Sent DS-3032 via emial

08/05/2013 Paid AOS ($88) fee

08/19/2013 DS-3032 accepted by NVC

08/26/2013 Paid IV ($230) fee

09/04/2013 Completed new DS-260 Online in place of the old (DS-230 paper form)

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

12/30/2013 Interview Scheduled for Feb 25 2014

US Consulate HCMC, Vietnam

02/25/2014 I-R1 Immigrant Visa interview (APPROVED!!)

03/06/2014 Visa delivered

Wow! A Vietnamese girl who cannot cook?? Now that's rare! I guess times are changing and the younger ones here in Vietnam do copy that Western style more and more.

Hmmmmmmm....what is it so rare? do you expect all Vietnamese girls/females born with a wok attached to their hands? or better yet been force to learn how to cook ,serve and please their future husbands/men? man, you are stuck in the 19th Century,this is the new Vietnam and has being for the longest time and changing by minutes.

Timeline

Hmmmmmmm....what is it so rare? do you expect all Vietnamese girls/females born with a wok attached to their hands? or better yet been force to learn how to cook ,serve and please their future husbands/men? man, you are stuck in the 19th Century,this is the new Vietnam and has being for the longest time and changing by minutes.

Actually, a lot of Vietnamese men expect the women to be good cooks. My girlfriend was afraid to tell me at first because she was afraid I would not like her anymore. The thing is, I don't mind it at all. :)

Timeline

I didn't say they should be "born with a wok attached their hands." I just said that it is RARE...and it IS rare. I have lived in Vietnam now for over 4 years and I have not met one Vietnamese woman/girl who cannot cook. That was my only point.

In contrast most my Vietnamese friends back in the states, can't cook just like many woman in America can't cook.

As I said the younger generation follows the culture of Western countries and also Korea so yeah I am sure many are not wanting/needing to learn to cook anymore. I just haven't met one that cannot cook. Just a simple observation. No need to get your panties in a bind there.

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

07/08/2013 RFE entered into USCIS system as received and "RFE Review" status online

NVC:

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

Timeline

Actually, a lot of Vietnamese men expect the women to be good cooks. My girlfriend was afraid to tell me at first because she was afraid I would not like her anymore. The thing is, I don't mind it at all. smile.png

Ha ha well that is one advantage of marrying a man from a western country. We don't expect the woman to know how cook or to cook every meal. We are use to woman not cooking in our culture. So she should be happy about that!!

Does she like American food? I know my wife enjoys some things but not all. The rest of her family pretty much hates American food. I remember talking my wife's family out for American food and they all thought it was the worst ever. Very funny experience.

Hopefully she likes American food somewhat. Luckily in the U.S. it is pretty easy to eat pretty much any style of food you want.

Edited by Chris & Trinh

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

NVC:

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

Timeline

Ha ha well that is one advantage of marrying a man from a western country. We don't expect the woman to know how cook or to cook every meal. We are use to woman not cooking in our culture. So she should be happy about that!!

Does she like American food? I know my wife's enjoys some things but not all. The rest of her family pretty much hates American food. I remember talking my wife's family out for American food and they all thought it was the worst ever. Very funny experience.

Hopefully she likes American food somewhat. Luckily in the U.S. it is pretty easy to eat pretty much any style of food you want.

What is classified as American food anymore? Burgers and fries? Haha! I have several Vietnamese restaurants near me as well as a HUGE international grocery store. I do believe there is an Asian market somewhere here, but I'm not sure. The only things I know she eats now is Chicken Fried Rice, Instant Noodles and Pasta (which I can make). I would honestly give up American food. I love Korean and Vietnamese food. The last thing I want to do when I go see my girlfriend during Tet is eat American food. :P

Timeline

What is classified as American food anymore? Burgers and fries? Haha! I have several Vietnamese restaurants near me as well as a HUGE international grocery store. I do believe there is an Asian market somewhere here, but I'm not sure. The only things I know she eats now is Chicken Fried Rice, Instant Noodles and Pasta (which I can make). I would honestly give up American food. I love Korean and Vietnamese food. The last thing I want to do when I go see my girlfriend during Tet is eat American food. tongue.png

Tet is a good time to try some of the traditional foods here. Think about it like our Thanksgiving/Christmas where we eat the same traditional type food with our families. You're right about not eating American food here, if you don't like it in the States, you wont like it here for sure. I made the mistake of eating at a Mexican restaurant here once....wow that was a mistake. Sick for days. I pretty much eat Vietnamese/Chinese food everyday. So I would be lieing if I said I wasn't missing some food from back home. I'd kill for a fat juicy steak cooked on the grill.

Some odd things I have tried eating while living here, that I know of, are....

Fried field mouse

Bat soup

Snake

Goat

Rabbit

Snake head fish

Every part of a chicken

Wild boar

Many many types of sea food

Snake wine

Those are what I have tried....many others I have declined trying including dog.....thank God.

The thing I hate the most....durian / sau rieng

Enjoy trying it all!! smile.png

Edited by Chris & Trinh

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

NVC:

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

Everyone, tell your wives to eat all the dog while they are in Vietnam.

There was a steak place I ate at a lot that imported their beef and it was an aged steak. I forget the steak house name but it was next to windsor or something beginning with a W.

Edited by Dai_Tx
mrc2pmh1445.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I did something to help her with this awful wait time last week, her friends from work were saving for a trip to Malaysia/singapore/indonesia 7 days tour. so they couldn't go eat with her after work. Her life is on hold wating on the uscis papers.... anyway, I suggested she go with them and well I had to talk her into it citing it would probably be the last time she got to do that with her friends. I sent her a little money and really bought her some happiness to break up the time waiting. I told her to take lots of photos to upload to FB and make some fun memories with her friends. It also made me feel better knowing it made her happy. This may not be a prep but it certainly is something mentally good to help with the long wait time.

Timeline

I did something to help her with this awful wait time last week, her friends from work were saving for a trip to Malaysia/singapore/indonesia 7 days tour. so they couldn't go eat with her after work. Her life is on hold wating on the uscis papers.... anyway, I suggested she go with them and well I had to talk her into it citing it would probably be the last time she got to do that with her friends. I sent her a little money and really bought her some happiness to break up the time waiting. I told her to take lots of photos to upload to FB and make some fun memories with her friends. It also made me feel better knowing it made her happy. This may not be a prep but it certainly is something mentally good to help with the long wait time.

That was a good idea! This is something I will consider myself, though my girl likes to drown herself with work all the time as opposed to going out with friends. She said the only person she cares about is her mother. That was a very considerate thing you did for her. Little things like this will go a long way. :)

Timeline

That was a good idea! This is something I will consider myself, though my girl likes to drown herself with work all the time as opposed to going out with friends. She said the only person she cares about is her mother. That was a very considerate thing you did for her. Little things like this will go a long way. smile.png

yes vn get a lot of selfworth out of work. but when they get off work, and go home to the parents and all is quiet, it comes to them. I am glad her boss approved her leave today even though she is responsible for an important meeting that will occur during her time away. Linh will gather the materials and build the presentation and her boss will handle. it was nice of her so Linh can go with her friends. I think it helps me more than her that she is going. smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.