Autumnal

Detroit Oath Ceremony

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For those of you eligible to do your oath ceremony in downtown Detroit, here's a rehash of my experience to help you out.

Parking: Most garages average about $10 cash for the duration of the ceremony. Street parking is utterly unreliable, usually capped at two hours, and monitored closely -- hence, not recommended if you're showing up. A private lot across from 231 W. Jefferson's north entrance is crammed full of people and often has cars triple-parked (!), also not recommended. The cramped Fort Washington garage is $15 for two hours where I parked the second time around; most lawyers and USCIS naturalizing citizens go up Jefferson to the main garage, closer to $10 for two hours. By 9:30 am, lots are busy and more notably, Room 115 is full -- lots of family members, not enough guaranteed seats for everyone. Come early if you want a seat or have a party of 10.

Admission: Long queues form at the north side entrance where your GPS points. Go around to the south side of the building to the employees' entrance for a marginally quicker queue. For long lines, guards advised people to go to the south side entrance. Note you cannot bring cellular phones in unless you're a lawyer. Security turned away anyone with a cellular phone. Have a separate camera for photos.

Security: Prompt and friendly, though the lines may not be the fastest. Everyone presents photo ID. I was asked to pop off my metal bracelet, put my coat and purse through the X-ray machine, and I was screened very quickly. No fuss, and I thanked all the guards for processing us quickly. They're very nice folks, have a smile and congratulations for you all.

USCIS Screening: Go up the stairs from security to the main mezzanine, spare a look for the lovely Beaux Arts and early Art Deco architecture that makes the courthouse a real gem from Detroit's heyday. I wish we spared more architecture like this in the city. Waves of grain and water flow in grand arches, and entertain the kids by asking them to search for stars, eagles, or a judge/President/presiding official of your choice. The middle counters are for people to fill out their USCIS affidavit forms, they do not supply pens there by the way. I filled out the answers in advance. Both sides converge into one line where a USCIS clerk asks to see your photo ID, your green card, and your form before proceeding to the table. Don't go straight to the USCIS table until he clears you, otherwise you'll be rightfully shooed to the back of the line by an unhappy USCIS person.

Two USCIS officers compare your form with your two pieces of ID, checking your date, address, name, and such. You'll be asked if you answered "no" to any questions. I had traveled outside the US for longer than 24 hours since my interview. The officer asked me the dates (22 to 27 May) and the location (Canada), jotted that on the form in red pen, then signed off on the change and the front of the page. She congratulated me, handed me my form and ID back, then had me join the very long line. US Passport Office officials hand out an info page and note you can pay $190 for an expedited passport at the office just across the street (at 211 Fort; if you park in Fort Washington, it's in the same building nearly).

Certificate: The certificate table is manned by a designated employee who looks up your certificate, has you check for details, and signs it. Mine had an error (see below) but she cleared me to continue. I signed, received my info packet, and went to take a seat.

Ceremony: The ceremony did not begin until 10:20AM. Very frustrating for those of us paying by the minute on a meter or taking some time off from work. The US Passport Agency clerk explained first how naturalizing citizens can apply for a passport, and if they come within 30 days, they don't have to send their naturalization certificate in/wait for its return. BIG plus. Fees were noted, the benefits of a passport card (acts as a confirmation of citizenship, which a Nexus pass or enhanced drivers license does not), and processing times of next day as need be. Passport forms were included in the packet. Also: children of naturalizing USCs under 18 do not need their own certificate (though you can order one for $600!, N-600), and the USCIS and US Passport reps both noted you can immediately apply for a passport for the children with their birth certificates, green cards, and such. After all the threads on the board lately about that, good to know they're arming us with solid info. I'd go to the passport agency if I had little ones in that boat. :)

The "housekeeping rules" followed -- no gum chewing, no eating/drinking, no wearing coats or hats, and the big one: no departures during the court session. Guests can leave at any point, but naturalizing citizens may not except emergencies. If you miss the oath for the bathroom, crying child, photo opp, whatever, you're not a citizen and you have to ask USCIS for another booking. Ouch.

The ceremony itself is pretty short after the judge's introductory comments. You all declare the oath together. People stumbled over trying to remember the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag, which ironically I knew from the hazy days of childhood (in Canada, hee!). The oldest immigrant is called up first for special recognition, then they go by alien/certificate number. Mine was near the back, after 140+ people from 29 countries, which definitely makes a girl's hands sore from applause (to say nothing of pregnancy...). Lots of smiling faces! We had several cranky kids, at least one parent was asked to take them out due to the disruption. Photo opportunities are restricted given the speed of the ceremony, and the judge stays after for snapshots.

Errors: My sincere apologies if you have a naturalization certificate with an error. Save yourself $600 and get it fixed then. See a USCIS officer immediately after, they pack up pretty quick. I went straight to their table. The signature on my biometrics photo was taken in my former name, per USCIS instructions, and it didn't match my current name on the application, certificate, etc. USCIS acknowledged it was their error and put blame squarely on the interviewing IO for not checking, then issued me a "Come Back Today N-400" pass for the main office on Jefferson where I got to wait 90 minutes for a new certificate.

But that beats $600. ;)

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Thanks, that was very helpful.

I just had my naturalization oath ceremony yesterday at the Federal courthouse as well and your posting was very helpful in terms of what to expect. I'd just like to add/reinforce the following:

Parking: I parked at a structure on W Congress between Cass and 1st. $10 cash for all-day parking and there were plenty of spots.

Admission: No cell phones in the federal courthouse unless you're an attorney. Cameras are OK. I brought a laptop (going to work, didn't want to leave it in the car) and that was fine too.

Ceremony: Definitely come a bit early, especially if you have companions coming with you, to ensure you get seats together. Everyone taking the oath is guaranteed a seat, but there were some friends/family who did not have seats. I arrived around 8:45 for a listed 9:30 am start time. I would suggest arriving before 9 as they started checking people in around that time. We started around 10:30 for a listed 9:30 am start time. We had 95 people taking the oath yesterday and were done around 11:20. The judge requested no photos while the certificates were being handed out to keep things moving, but photos before/after the ceremony were fine.

Passport application: As already stated, the big advantage to applying directly after the ceremony is that you don't have to send your naturalization certificate in (no risk that it will be lost, which actually happened to someone that I know), and processing is fast. They can even have it ready for you to pick up the next day at no extra charge. However, all applications through that office are "expedited", meaning you have to pay the $60 expedited service charge even if you are not in a hurry. They will give you a blank passport application form (DS-11) at the ceremony, but it's best if you complete it in advance and bring 2 passport photos. You can pay everything with a credit card, so no need to bring a check or money order. I went directly to the passport office across the street after the ceremony (take the south exit from the courthouse onto Fort), was third in line, and was done in 20 minutes. If you have to get photos, fill out the form, etc you might end up waiting a good bit longer than that. You can bring a cell phone into the passport office (on silent) but you can't bring a camera in. They will hold it for you until you're done.

Edited by GoBlue

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.