xsparr0w

Wrong Embassy on the I-129F?!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not sure why the attorney told us Belfast if they only process non-immigrant visas. My fiancé had a few friends who came to the US on non-immigrant visa's through Belfast so he had assumed that Belfast handled all types of visas. With an attorney to advise us to select Belfast we assumed that he knew what he was talking about, but obviously he did not. We are both most unhappy about being misguided.

I hope that things will move smoothly and quickly through London and thank you to those of you who replied with useful information. I understand some of you may find this humorous and that speaks a lot of your character. I don't appreciate the remarks or see the humor in the situation. A family separated by the miles in this stressful process clings onto the hope of being reunited quickly and coming to the realization that the process will be a little longer is devastating to myself and my children.

Good Luck to you all in your immigration journeys.

event.png

I-129f Charlene <3 Ryan

Dec 6, 2012: Sent I-129f Application (VSC)

Dec 11, 2012: NOA 1

May 24, 2013: Transfer from VSC to TSC

June 18, 2013: NOA2 Approval

July 10, 2013: Update...Case Shipped to DOS

July 15, 2013: Received Case Number

July 17, 2013: London Receives Case

July 25, 2013: Packet 3 Received

August 9, 2013: Medical

August 15, 2013: Medical Results logged

August 29, 2013: Packet 3/Ds2001 forms sent

September 6, 2013: Packet 3/DS2001 logged

October 25, 2013: Interview

and coming to the realization that the process will be a little longer is devastating to myself and my children.

It probably won't be longer (after all, there's no stats for Belfast because they've never done K1)! I don't know what estimate your lawyer or friends gave you, but a majority of the wait for most K1s after approval comes at the NVC stage, which would be the same regardless of the embassy your case would arrive at in the end. The embassy processing after that NVC stage is very fast in London (compared to other locations).

Really, London is pretty efficient. You'll get through just as quickly as everyone else who's in the UK! I'm sure it'll all work out for you. Good luck!

P.S. If you're at NVC/Consulate stage, I really recommend reading this forum thread from the London section. It'll help you anticipate the next steps so you can get a jump on the system and have it move as fast as possible: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

P.P.S. Belfast DO do non-immigrant visas, just not the K1 (which is non-immigrant, also).

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

You do realize that everyone on this site has been in your shoes right?

You "decided" that one was faster without having any information about it. How could you compare timelines from London and Belfast if one doesn't even do the type of visa you are pursuing?

You should be angry at your lawyer for being stupid and not checking a simple thing. You paid him/her to help you and s/he didn't. Not us.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Charlene17,I too put my embassy as Belfast as I live in Grangemouth,Scotland.Its so much easier and cheaper to get to Belfast than travel to London.I only noticed after I sent away my I-129f that Belfast don't process I-129f's,however I was approved this week and as far as I am aware my stuff will all be sent to London ....I hope so anyways!Silly little mistakes are so easy to make but can cost you months and month of extra waiting.We originally filled in Jan 2012 but only filled out the form and sent the cheque.We heard NOTHING for 10 months,but low and behold they cashed our cheque within a week.Now you are not trying to tell me that whoever opened up our envelope didn't know there and then that we had not put all the supporting evidence in there?All it would have taken was a phone call to save us 10 months of waiting on nothing to happen.Hands up though,it was our fault.

Anyways,hope to be all finished and moved to Florida this year,maybe even as early as October.Still freakin out though about making any more mistakes.Im so glad to have found so many good people on here to help and advise everyone,thanks again to you all.

Timeline

Thanks. That's a little more encouraging to know London is pretty efficient. The attorney gave us the impression that it would somehow go to Belfast and that they scheduled interviews within 4 weeks of receiving info from the NVC, so after reading on Londons embassy scheduling 10-12 week it was a blow to us. Just means we're in the waiting game a little longer. But thanks for the info and the link...it will be very helpful.

It probably won't be longer (after all, there's no stats for Belfast because they've never done K1)! I don't know what estimate your lawyer or friends gave you, but a majority of the wait for most K1s after approval comes at the NVC stage, which would be the same regardless of the embassy your case would arrive at in the end. The embassy processing after that NVC stage is very fast in London (compared to other locations).

Really, London is pretty efficient. You'll get through just as quickly as everyone else who's in the UK! I'm sure it'll all work out for you. Good luck!

P.S. If you're at NVC/Consulate stage, I really recommend reading this forum thread from the London section. It'll help you anticipate the next steps so you can get a jump on the system and have it move as fast as possible: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

P.P.S. Belfast DO do non-immigrant visas, just not the K1 (which is non-immigrant, also).

event.png

I-129f Charlene <3 Ryan

Timeline

I completely understand the situation now and yes I know everyone else has been in my shoes at some point or another. We were misinformed and now have a longer wait than anticipated. We were told Belfast would be able to process our case and schedule an interview within 4 weeks of receiving info from NVC. I did not put any blame or anger on anyone here on VJ....the people here have been a lifeline through all of this. I simply did not find some of the comments constructive when feeling fragile over the situation like asking if I have many other K-1's. Anyway good luck to you with your journey.

You do realize that everyone on this site has been in your shoes right?

You "decided" that one was faster without having any information about it. How could you compare timelines from London and Belfast if one doesn't even do the type of visa you are pursuing?

You should be angry at your lawyer for being stupid and not checking a simple thing. You paid him/her to help you and s/he didn't. Not us.

event.png

I-129f Charlene <3 Ryan

I completely understand the situation now and yes I know everyone else has been in my shoes at some point or another. We were misinformed and now have a longer wait than anticipated. We were told Belfast would be able to process our case and schedule an interview within 4 weeks of receiving info from NVC. I did not put any blame or anger on anyone here on VJ....the people here have been a lifeline through all of this. I simply did not find some of the comments constructive when feeling fragile over the situation like asking if I have many other K-1's. Anyway good luck to you with your journey.

People lean on humor to keep themselves going through tough situations. We all here have those moments of tension and despair, where we wonder how we can possibly wait another week, another month, whatever (god, I was feeling that before I'd even finished putting together the I129F packet)... and sometimes, you get to the point where you realize that all you can do is try to find a way to be patient, that no amount of stressing out will make the process go any faster, or make the delays go away (real or imagined). In other words: Don't lose your sense of humor because it'll make it that much harder. (And good luck with that, m'dear, cuz it's a hard goal to accomplish.)

That said, seriously, is there anyone here who's seen a single story of someone's attorney actually helping rather than hurting? This is getting ridiculous.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.