Sundara

Questions about number of children . . .

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am helping my grandparents apply for citizenship. And the question about the number of children is making me a bit unsure.

My grandmother gave birth to a baby in Jamaica. The baby died shortly after birth (in a matter of hours). The child was never registered with the Jamaican government and a birth certificate was never issued.

I feel stupid asking this but I don't want there to be any hindrances to their applications, so I want to make sure. Do they need to include this baby that died in the total number of children?

Now I have a second question. My grandparents have a child that lives with them. The child came to the US legally with a green card back in the late 70's. That child has been in trouble with the law on 2 occasions and lost all their documentation, such as green card, passport and all that. Since losing all those things they never bothered to reapply for them either.

So on the form where it asks for the A number we have no number because we don't know it and it would have been expired by now. How likely is it that there will be repercussions for this child because of my grandparents applying for their citizenship? Do they investigate family members, and if family members are found not to be of proper status does that affect my grandparents application? Is it possible that this child could be deported?

I hope my questions made sense. If clarification is needed please ask and I will try.

Thanks for your answers smile.png

Edited by Sundara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No that should not matter. My mom gave birth to a child after me who died at infancy and I have never included her in any records.

I assume they need that info to be able to trace and link family connections inother apllications/petitions.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

No don't include a still-birth with no certification

Your grand-parent will not face immigration probs getting citizenship

due to the young mans crimes.

Did your grand-parents adopted him legally (well even so if he's over age 18 they cant help)

If his crime is after he turned age 18 and moral turpitude...yes he can be deported.

He first have to obtain the new long birth-certificate in Jamaica , report passport lost and

ger police report of lost, get passport application (notorized),(2 photos )(1 notorized) and

apply in NY or Miami at the Jamaican consulate , in NY get there before 11:am Mon- Fri.

Without the old PP it can be very very difficult to to get a JA PP, most USA police don't want

to do this report unless its a fresh crime like muggings, burglary or fire, and the consulates

WILL NOT issue a PP without the letter or old PP , they will tell U they will furnish your an

emergency certificate to travel to Jamaica and apply for it in person, the same is needed there,

so the trick is U find a local police to give U report.Bad idea for him maybe he cant get back in

the USA depending on his age & crimes.

If his crimes do not fall under moral turpitude then they should file for his citizenship before he

commits more crimes , and he'll also have a US PP... hope I helped....best wishes

Oh his new bc can be applied for online (if U have the old one and can furnish the A# at the righthand top)

He can apply for his new GC without A# if all info given is correct when he 1st came with it (they'll do a search)

I however I would be leery if they send a mail saying to come in and pick it up biggrin.png)

go online to RGD Jamaica.gov

Edited by Jawaree

Thanks for the help everyone!

No don't include a still-birth with no certification

Your grand-parent will not face immigration probs getting citizenship

due to the young mans crimes.

Did your grand-parents adopted him legally (well even so if he's over age 18 they cant help)

If his crime is after he turned age 18 and moral turpitude...yes he can be deported.

He first have to obtain the new long birth-certificate in Jamaica , report passport lost and

ger police report of lost, get passport application (notorized),(2 photos )(1 notorized) and

apply in NY or Miami at the Jamaican consulate , in NY get there before 11:am Mon- Fri.

Without the old PP it can be very very difficult to to get a JA PP, most USA police don't want

to do this report unless its a fresh crime like muggings, burglary or fire, and the consulates

WILL NOT issue a PP without the letter or old PP , they will tell U they will furnish your an

emergency certificate to travel to Jamaica and apply for it in person, the same is needed there,

so the trick is U find a local police to give U report.Bad idea for him maybe he cant get back in

the USA depending on his age & crimes.

If his crimes do not fall under moral turpitude then they should file for his citizenship before he

commits more crimes , and he'll also have a US PP... hope I helped....best wishes

This is their biological child. He is well over the age of 18. I suppose the crime is moral turpitude??? They were 2 drug charges. In all honesty I do not know the full details because they are secretive about their criminal past. So we do not know what they were actually charged with. We just know they were in jail for a few years (about2-3 years each time) on 2 separate occasions.

I think I am going to just step back and let them figure this out on their own because God forbid I am responsible for getting someone deported, I would never hear the end of it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.