conwa1rr

Timeline of CR-1/ Specific Questions

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and just wanted to ask a few questions in one post about my CR-1 specifics.

I am a US citizen living in Michigan, and my fiance lives in Northern Ireland with his two children, claiming British citizenship. He is currently applying to have the parental responsibilities of the mother removed as she has not been an active parent in four years, as well as applying to have the children come to live here. We plan to reside in MI following our marriage.

Ideally, we would like to get married by December, but I had a few questions regarding the timeline and more first.

1. How soon after marriage do we need to fill out and mail in the CR-1? If we do not send it in immediately, would my fiance (then husband) be able to travel to the US still?

2. Once we start the CR-1 paperwork, I know he is not able to travel here but am I, my friends, and family still able to travel freely there (for a later date reception, etc)?

3. How much does it affect your application if you require a sponsor? I am off of full time work currently and am worried how this will look to our case reviewer. Does the joint sponsor affect how the case worker would view my ability to support my fiance and his children?

I'm sorry if these questions have previously been answered or if they are disjointed. We are just beginning the process and it can be overwhelming with all the information out there to sort through.

Thanks!

Rebecca

How's things? smile.png

1. Any time. As soon as you want, or as late as you want. It's up to you. When you first file, it's Form I-130, the application for recognition of your relationship and establishment of the immigrant's eligibility to apply for a visa as a spouse.

2. He can travel here as a tourist if he wants to, there is no law against it. My Northern Irish husband traveled here on the Visa Waiver Program, stayed 85 days over the holidays, and went home. What the prospective immigrant should do is show evidence that he intends to return to his home country (a job, mortgage papers, kids left behind, even the pending court case). In general the immigrant must spend at least as much time out of the US as in the US, to avoid accusations of using the VWP to impermissibly "live" in the US. You (the US citizen) can travel freely as much as you want, provided you know you must be on hand to receive notifications and be present in case you are asked to interview.

3. If you do not income qualify on your own, having a joint sponsor is the only way to qualify. Using one can only help your case. All they case about is that SOMEONE is taking responsibility. It need not be you. You don't need one to start off with, anyway. You only need one in the second part of the procedure (after the I-130 form is approved). That gives you around four or five months, or even more, to find a job if you feel funny about presenting as unemployed, but you should still use a joint sponsor if your job is new, especially if your 2011 and/or 2012 income tax returns don't show sufficient income.

Verb. sap.: When you fill out your paperwork, write out United Kingdom nice and big. Don't use UK and don't put Northern Ireland in the address if you can avoid it, or you run the risk of having some undereducated American slob deciding that you're filing for someone in the ROI. This happened to us. It got fixed. After much cursing in private.

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

2. He can travel here as a tourist if he wants to, there is no law against it. My Northern Irish husband traveled here on the Visa Waiver Program, stayed 85 days over the holidays, and went home. What the prospective immigrant should do is show evidence that he intends to return to his home country (a job, mortgage papers, kids left behind, even the pending court case). In general the immigrant must spend at least as much time out of the US as in the US, to avoid accusations of using the VWP to impermissibly "live" in the US. You (the US citizen) can travel freely as much as you want, provided you know you must be on hand to receive notifications and be present in case you are asked to interview.

I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the "immigrant must spend at least as much time out of the US as in the US." My fiance was here in Michigan for a little over two weeks in April, and we'd like to have a wedding reception here if possible before sending in the CR-1. With his ESTA/VWP, are you just saying this would be okay so long as it is under 90 days and he has proof of plans to return?

Sorry for so many questions--and thanks for your answers! Glad to hear of another pairing of a US-Northern Ireland couple. Karl reminds me constantly about the care of Northern Ireland vs. the United Kingdom, so thanks for stressing that. We'll be sure to take care when filling out those forms.

I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the "immigrant must spend at least as much time out of the US as in the US." My fiance was here in Michigan for a little over two weeks in April, and we'd like to have a wedding reception here if possible before sending in the CR-1. With his ESTA/VWP, are you just saying this would be okay so long as it is under 90 days and he has proof of plans to return?

Sorry for so many questions--and thanks for your answers! Glad to hear of another pairing of a US-Northern Ireland couple. Karl reminds me constantly about the care of Northern Ireland vs. the United Kingdom, so thanks for stressing that. We'll be sure to take care when filling out those forms.

Yup, that would probably be just fine. Short trips of a couple weeks are good on the VWP, even during immigration proceedings. Since he had two weeks in April, more than two weeks have passed, and his trip for the wedding reception will probably be as brief, so it's just fine. My husband spent almost three months from November to January, so we were going to leave it till May before thinking about bringing him over for a visit again. But now with his medical and interview date so close, we are just going to let him do that before he comes over.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Essentially, you should avoid being on a tourist visa in one 12 month block for more than 6 months in the USA (so two trips of 90 days would be fine, for example, in one year but not a third trip that long). The same is true in the other direction - UKBA does not like American tourists being in the UK for more than 6 months total in one year (we discovered this when my husband entered the UK once, just shy of being in the UK for nearly 6 months total visiting me before he lived here - they almost didn't let him in to visit for Christmas!).

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.