Mark88

Our story: CRBA for our child denied, entering the US with a baby transportation letter and Citizenship through the CCA

182 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

"Although not entitled to U.S. citizenship at birth, the child can, through this procedure, become a U.S. citizen by naturalization without first having to take up residence in the United States. It is, however, necessary for the child to travel to the United States for the naturalization"

This is not so clear for me, does this say that the CRBA through grandparents have additional steps rather than the one from parents? Its not the same?

"This procedure must be done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. The process can take from six months to a year or more."

Once grandparents get the CRBA for the grandchild, then parents fly the baby to us... Baby still cant get a passport immediately and have to wait 6mos or more? Or can baby get it abroad?

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

"Although not entitled to U.S. citizenship at birth, the child can, through this procedure, become a U.S. citizen by naturalization without first having to take up residence in the United States. It is, however, necessary for the child to travel to the United States for the naturalization"

This is not so clear for me, does this say that the CRBA through grandparents have additional steps rather than the one from parents? Its not the same?

It is not a CRBA. The CRBA is only done over the the consulates in foreign countries. This process is handled over USCIS in the US. It is totally different process.

"This procedure must be done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. The process can take from six months to a year or more."

Once grandparents get the CRBA for the grandchild, then parents fly the baby to us... Baby still cant get a passport immediately and have to wait 6mos or more? Or can baby get it abroad?

There is no CRBA. You have to file N-600 with USCIS. Once it is approved, you have to travel with the child to the US. There you take the oath for your child and receive a "certificate of citizenship" with which you can immediatly can apply for a passport.

It has the advantage, that you don't need to file I-130 for your child and wife, no vaccinations, no medical. This a lone saves alot of money and time.

Edited by Mark88

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Because there is a way a child can claim citizenship through a USC grandparent, if that grandparent meets the residency requirement. You will have to file Form N-600 and N-643 and travel to the US to finalize the process. It will take less time and be less expensive than the green card, but I have no personal experience whatsoever:

Expeditious Naturalization Through A Grandparent

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/robirth.html

My daughter has lived all her life in Ireland and cannot transmit American citizenship to her children. Is there any way they can become American through their grandparents?

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/service/passports-and-citizen-services/frequently-asked-passport-questions.html

OBTAINING U.S.CITIZENSHIP THROUGH PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS, Etc.

https://shusterman.com/citizenshipthroughparents.html

I WILL BE LIVING ABROAD WITH MY FAMILY FOR SOME TIME. HOW DO I APPLY FOR EXPEDITIOUS NATURALIZATION FOR MY CHILD USING THE "GRANDPARENT" PROCEDURE?

http://www.passportsusa.com/family/adoption/info/info_456.html

It's N-600K

This thread is extremely disconcerting for me. We have a baby on the way and I am gathering all of the documents I can to prove I have lived in the U.S. all of my life (college and high chool transcripts, grade school report cards, all of my medical records, expired driver's licenses, old and current passports, ticket stubs, W-2s and tax transcripts and social security income history). But after reading about your situation I'm not feeling good about any of it and am semi-freaking out that they'll deny us the CRBA. My wife is going through the I-130 process right now and if she's approved but our child isn't I don't know what we'll do honestly, because her visa obviously expires after 6 months and we can't just leave the child in Poland. I kind of am asking myself after reading this "what's the point even in trying to get a CRBA if they're going to be such hard liners about it?". I'm a little depressed right now....

Married in Edinburgh, Scotland: 07-06-2013

I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 09-04-2013

NOA1 from the National Benefits Center: 09-05-2013

I-130 Package Transferred to California Service Center: 02-25-2014

NOA2: 03-05-2014

NVC Received: 03-17-2014

Case # and IIN Assigned: 04-18-2014

DS-261 Generated and Completed: 04-26-2014

AOS Fee Invoiced and Paid: 04-29-2014

IV Fee Invoiced and Paid: 05-01-2014

AOS Fee Shows as Paid: 05-01-2014

IV Fee Shows as Paid: 05-05-2014

AOS and IV Packages Sent via UPS: 05-08-2014

AOS and IV Packages Received: 05-12-2014

AOS and IV Packages Input Into System: 05-14-2014

DS-260 Completed: 05-16-2014

Case Complete: 06-11-2014

Medical Exam: 07-08-2014

Interview in Warsaw, Poland: 08-28-2014 @ 8:30AM - APPROVED!

Visa Package Received: 09-01-2014

POE at Chicago O'Hare International Airport: 09-23-2014

I-751 Package Received: 07-11-2016

NOA1: 07-16-2016

I-751 Biometrics Apointment: 08-01-2016

ROC Approval (during citizenship interview): 12-20-2017

10-Year Green Card Received: N/A due to approved N-400

N-400 Filed Online: 08-28-2017

N-400 NOA1 Date: 08-29-2017

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 09-22-2017

Status Changed to Interview Scheduled: 09-22-2017

Status Change to Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed: 11-15-2017

N-400 Interview: 12-20-2017 - APPROVED!

Oath of Allegiance Scheduled: 12-29-2017

Oath of Allegiance: 01-18-2018 

Timeline

This thread is extremely disconcerting for me. We have a baby on the way and I am gathering all of the documents I can to prove I have lived in the U.S. all of my life (college and high chool transcripts, grade school report cards, all of my medical records, expired driver's licenses, old and current passports, ticket stubs, W-2s and tax transcripts and social security income history)...

You're going to be fine. Schoole and college transcripts are one the best evidences you can have. I wouldn't worry in your case.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline
My parents file the N-600 here abroad...

No, YOU have to file the petition (N-600 or N-600K) on behalf of your child.

..once approved i go with my daughter to USCIS to get the certification of citizenship, i presume my daughter wont get the i-551 stamp upon arrival? that would really fast track stuff since i can get the passport asap.

Correct, you will receive an appointment date by USCIS. I don't have any idea though, where in the US the interview will be held if you don't have a primary place of residence. They might send you to Hawaii wink.png

i presume my daughter wont get the i-551 stamp upon arrival? that would really fast track stuff since i can get the passport asap.

Correct, she will be a citizen once you take the oath for her and won't have a green card. With the COC you can apply for a passport at either a passport agency, or if it takes a while to issue the certificate, at any consoulate or embassy.

Like I mentioned, I have no personal experience with N-600, so all my answer are based on research I did while doing the same for our daughter. I also have no idea how hard it will be to proofe the physical presence requirement for the grandparent/s.

Edited by Mark88

You're going to be fine. Schoole and college transcripts are one the best evidences you can have. I wouldn't worry in your case.

Alright, I have all of those and really hope you're right about that. Thanks. :)

Married in Edinburgh, Scotland: 07-06-2013

I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 09-04-2013

NOA1 from the National Benefits Center: 09-05-2013

I-130 Package Transferred to California Service Center: 02-25-2014

NOA2: 03-05-2014

NVC Received: 03-17-2014

Case # and IIN Assigned: 04-18-2014

DS-261 Generated and Completed: 04-26-2014

AOS Fee Invoiced and Paid: 04-29-2014

IV Fee Invoiced and Paid: 05-01-2014

AOS Fee Shows as Paid: 05-01-2014

IV Fee Shows as Paid: 05-05-2014

AOS and IV Packages Sent via UPS: 05-08-2014

AOS and IV Packages Received: 05-12-2014

AOS and IV Packages Input Into System: 05-14-2014

DS-260 Completed: 05-16-2014

Case Complete: 06-11-2014

Medical Exam: 07-08-2014

Interview in Warsaw, Poland: 08-28-2014 @ 8:30AM - APPROVED!

Visa Package Received: 09-01-2014

POE at Chicago O'Hare International Airport: 09-23-2014

I-751 Package Received: 07-11-2016

NOA1: 07-16-2016

I-751 Biometrics Apointment: 08-01-2016

ROC Approval (during citizenship interview): 12-20-2017

10-Year Green Card Received: N/A due to approved N-400

N-400 Filed Online: 08-28-2017

N-400 NOA1 Date: 08-29-2017

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 09-22-2017

Status Changed to Interview Scheduled: 09-22-2017

Status Change to Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed: 11-15-2017

N-400 Interview: 12-20-2017 - APPROVED!

Oath of Allegiance Scheduled: 12-29-2017

Oath of Allegiance: 01-18-2018 

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark,

I found your info and description extremely helpful so thanks for that.

Now, I have a concern and would greatly appreciate if you could answer.

A little background, I just got my baby processed for NA3 at a land border POE, the process of NA3 and I-181 was the similar but I reached around 5:00 pm and during holidays and the officers seemed to be in a hurry to process and head home which is understandable. They created the A#, stamped the passport with what they called the ADIT stamp etc. and also gave copy of i-181. It seems that the officer doing this was relatively new to this and he admitted the same multiple times.

Here is the concern-

When I later checked the I-181 it seems it was not signed by the officer where it says Recommended by Immigration Officer, also date of action DO and district are blank, some other things like marital status, section 212 a 14 are not checked; in the section under provision of law it is partially filled and the part where it says as of at port of entry for permanent residence is also blank (although there is a stamp where it says for use of visa control office). The i-181 form also does not say name of baby on the top it says name in care of and my wife's name is on there. Does the baby name not appear on this form?

I am getting a bit concerned whether the officer filled it properly; can you please confirm if those sections were filled for you and more importantly was it signed by an immigration officer?

Thanks

Timeline

Our I-181 was not signed either. If you don't receive a greencard within 4-6 weeks I would follow up. Otherwise you are good with the validation of the NA-3 in your (child's) passport.

Our I-181 was not signed either. If you don't receive a greencard within 4-6 weeks I would follow up. Otherwise you are good with the validation of the NA-3 in your (child's) passport.

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. Was the name of the baby anywhere on i-181? I am finding it strange that they did not put name of baby anywhere on that form and where it says name they put my wife's name instead is this is a mistake? I am getting quite concerned now.

Timeline

Yes, they put our baby's name in the addresse field on the top of the I-181, BUT you have the passport with the A#, so don't worry.

Edited by Mark88

Yes, they put our baby's name in the addresse field on the top of the I-181, BUT you have the passport with the A#, so don't worry.

Thanks again for the reply, I just hope they don't send the green card with my wife's name and baby's photo! It seems that I-181 is the form that they use for green card creation reference but I am assuming they will see the rest of the file like birth certificate and photocopy of passport and corelate/fix this.

This is a lesson for me to double check the docs from these guys.

Timeline

Usually the data was already created with the NA-3. This means, they have that data in their system. The I-181 is just a receipt that you crossed a border. If it should happen, you can sort this out with USCIS since you have a whole year (the NA-3 is the temporary I-551 green card valid for 12 months).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.