Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am thinking of emigrating to the US, to be with my partner, but not sure how to go about obtaining medical insurance

If your partner's insurance is good, he/she'll be able to add you as a dependant (I've just been added to my husband's US insurance via his employer, despite the fact we haven't moved back to the US yet, for example).

Insurance in the USA is crazy. Most people obtain it through their employment because that's traditionally the only way people have found it to be affordable (as companies are able insure as a pool), otherwise you have to buy it privately through any number of suppliers (google "medical insurance USA") which is much more costly.

Soon, Obamacare will kick in making it more affordable for those not being insured through their employers or as dependants (or often, uninsurable entirely due to medical history) as they treat those without insurance options as their own local pool (again, suggest a google). http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Health/HealthInsurance.shtml

This article is a little out of date, but should give you an impression of the system there: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/8134945/Expat-guide-to-the-USA-health-care.html

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived


* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many companies that offer temporary health insurance for new immigrants. I puchased one for my K1 until we were married and then added her to my employer policy. You can use temporary health insurance for up to 1 year with most companies and then you can get employer health insurance or buy an individual policy from most insurance company websites. I found that individual company policies required prior insurance for acceptance but that is about to change under the new law.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.