proceedwith

RFE requesting additional documents beside proof of divorce

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi VisaJourney,

Last August, I filed for removal of conditions on my green card, with the waiver for divorce. As I expected, in April, I received a request for evidence asking for my divorce documents.

However, the RFE also asked for two other things:

1. "Identity document" in the form of "driver's licenses or identity cards from the appropriate state's motor vehicle department".

However, I don't have an American driver's license, and it looks like getting an identity card would involve a 60 day waiting period, which would put me past my July 3rd deadline. Do you think I can instead send a copy of my Netherlands passport (and/or my Netherlands driver's license)?

2. "Evidence of good faith marriage."

My original RoC application already included a fairly large amount of evidence. When they say "it is requested that additional documentation be submitted", does that mean they're saying the evidence I sent the first time wasn't sufficient? Should I resubmit the old evidence?

Thanks for any info you might have.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Don't feel to bad. RFE's are pretty common. I filed a divorce waiver and got an RFE and they pretty much asked for the same.

As far as an identity document, they are looking for government issued ID - such as a passport, copy of your green card. Also, you can have a state ID without having a DL. See your local DMV to see how you can get an ID. Quiet honestly, I don't know how you have been surviving without a state issued ID or divers license.

As far as evidence, do not send in what you already did. I would find bills, insurance policies etc but stuff that covers the entire period you were married.

I got an RFE and they included examples of documents they needed. Go through the list and find something you didn't submit. All the best :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

That is information which is usually submitted at the time of your application, hopefully you have it.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. In case someone else has the same question, I called USCIS customer service in the mean time, and they confirmed 1) a passport would be okay instead of a state ID, 2) I shouldn't resubmit any old evidence.

I also asked them whether the letter meant that if I didn't send them new evidence of a bona fide marriage, they would reject my application just on that basis. Basically, they said "just send everything you can and then we'll see if we have questions".

Do you think they ask for additional evidence of a bona fide marriage on every RFE, even if the RFE is really just automatically sent to request proof of divorce? Or does the fact that the RFE requested additional evidence of a bona fide marriage mean I should be worried?

The thing is, I was already pretty thorough about sending all documents I possibly could with the original I-751. I'm not sure I have anything more to send that would be relevant.

Did you send immigration any documents to show them why you got divorce? I want to know what kind of evidence they need to accept a request based on divorce? I have good evidence to show I entered to the marriage in good fait, but how can show them that I've had lots of emotional problem?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

In case it's helpful to anyone in the same situation: according to USCIS customer service,the particular RFE request I got also required me to include my ex-wife's ID information. (I had misread the RFE as saying something else, so now I'm trying to get a copy of my ex-wife's ID in time for July 3rd or else planning to send it with a cover letter explaining why it's late.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.