Greenshoots

Airplane Rides from Asia

12 posts in this topic

I am hoping my fiance will have her interview in Bangkok around the end of June. Assuming we are lucky she will have her visa shortly after. I am looking for suggestions on buying her plane ticket as inexpensively as possible. Aside from the travel date issue, there is the second issue of only needing a one way ticket. I know it is $250.00 to change dates on international flights. Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Thailand regional subforum -- topic pertains to airline arrangements. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Emirates airline if you don't mind subjecting her to a crazy long layover. I would personally pay the extra 200 and fly her on Korean Air so she gets here as quickly as possible and has a very good flight experience to boot.

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It depends on your port of entry, but I would vote for Korean as well.

I think you will find it cheaper to buy a round trip and throw away the unused portion. Seems silly I know, but one way fares are stupid expensive.

Also if you book the "return" portion to depart with 30 days of arrival, the fare will be lower.

As to book or not, I've been struggling with the same question. Currently I'm thinking I will wait until she has an appointment then book a flight for a couple weeks after. You may want to ask the question in this forum what people are experiencing in regard to the delay between interview and visa in hand.

Timeline

Change fees are not 250.00 depends on the airline and the ticket class. Korean doesn't charge a change fee if you change to another flight with the same class ticket on a different date, otherwise the fee is 100.

One way saves some money, the last time I booked a one way back it was around 750, and the RT was 1200 from Bangkok to LA. Go directly to the airlines and you can find good deals, especially 2 weeks before the flight.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We flew EVA. I actually called Orbitz and had a great lady work with me where the one way from BKK to LAX was a lot less than R/T but not half. Also, the Orbitz lady hooked us up with economy deluxe (not available on their website) which was essentially the same size seat as business class (not the pods) so it was just the two of us next to each other from BKK to TPE and TPE to LAX, not a bad way to fly for her first long flight to the U.S. AND, the embassy called her and moved her interview so I had to change the flights home at the last minute and it was only $100.00 each.

Timing wise it's all up to your comfort level. I flew in a week before the interview to spend time with the family. Her interview was on 8/25 (Tuesday). We booked a flight for 9/2 (Sunday). They told her she was approved at the interview. We returned to her village and on 8/31 (Friday) EMS showed up with her passport and the infamous envelope. It was off to BKK and then home. It was a little stressful waiting for EMS to show up. They say you will get the passport in 3-4 days and some have gotten it quicker and others longer. Good luck.

Edited by khwaidee1

Timeline

Boy, you guys are getting very different airfare results then I've gotten. I'm looking right now and RT is much cheaper then one way.

I wonder if it's because I need to use two airlines. Korean doesn;t go all the way. You can't get there from here, as they say.

Edited by slowlyman

Timeline

Which airline are you trying to book through and is it more than 1 month out. My friend that runs a travel agency here said always book your flights out of Bangkok in the 3 to 4 week before the flight and buy direct with the Airline, that is the time they release the group blocked seats. I just checked Korean BKK to LA and the One Way was 875, RT was 1275, 3 weeks from now. I normally fly Korean, EVA, or Thai. Used to pay the Thai premium when they had direct to LA, now I deal with the 11 hour layover in Korea to have Seoul straight to Vegas.

Timeline

Which airline are you trying to book through and is it more than 1 month out. My friend that runs a travel agency here said always book your flights out of Bangkok in the 3 to 4 week before the flight and buy direct with the Airline, that is the time they release the group blocked seats. I just checked Korean BKK to LA and the One Way was 875, RT was 1275, 3 weeks from now. I normally fly Korean, EVA, or Thai. Used to pay the Thai premium when they had direct to LA, now I deal with the 11 hour layover in Korea to have Seoul straight to Vegas.

I've noticed that as well. I know it's counter-intuitive to wait until a 3-weeks to month before your planned trip to buy a ticket, but that seems to be when you get the best deals for some reason. Also, I usually went through a travel agent in BKK for flights originating from Thailand. They always had better deals than what I could find online.

I also avoid any U.S. based carrier (United, Delta, etc.) like the plague. The service is terrible, Those flights are usually staffed by flight attendants with 25+ years seniority, and they don't care. They take the phrase "We are primarily here for your safety" to a whole other level.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

I agree 100% about US legacy carriers. Awful customer service to be sure.

I fly with Korean, but i can't book direct because they won;t book the domestic portion of the flights. If I buy that part separately, it gets really expensive. An aggregator is the best option for me.

I'll look at that three week window. Never tried booking that close.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Delta code shares with Korean so if you know the KAL flight times you can book through Delta and fly Korean.

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Timeline

I agree 100% about US legacy carriers. Awful customer service to be sure.

I fly with Korean, but i can't book direct because they won;t book the domestic portion of the flights. If I buy that part separately, it gets really expensive. An aggregator is the best option for me.

I'll look at that three week window. Never tried booking that close.

Look at the prices for flights 3 weeks from now, and look at them about 2 months from now. You'll see what I mean.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.