Sham

Green Card and Social Security arrival time

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

My wife has been living in united states since 1 month. I still did not receive her Social Security and Green Card. Only thing I am have received is the welcome notice letter 4 times.

Does anyone know how long it takes for theses documents to arrive. My wife came on I-130 visa.

Thank you everyone.

Sham

CR1

12/19/2005: I130 Mailed.

12/22/2005: I130 NOA1 (Notice Date).

05/04/2006: I130 NOA2 (Approval).

05/17/2006: NVC assinged case#

05/29/2006: DS3032 and AOS bill fee generated.

06/01/2006: DS3032 and AOS bill fee sent, Express usps mail.

06/16/2006: Received IV Bill form and I-864 package.

06/19/2006: Send IV bill and I-864 express usps mail.

06/22/2006: IV bill fee entered in NVC system.

06/30/2006: DS-230 has generated

06/31/2006: Received DS-230.

07/10/2006: Sent DS-230

07/28/2006: Sent Passport Biographic page. Delayed because of name change.

08/08/2006: Case Complete @ NVC

08/17/2006: Case forwarded to embassy.

09/07/2006: Spouse received Packet 3.5 from embassy.

09/18/2006: Spouse send packet 3.5 to embassy.

10/20/2006: Wife arrived in US.

I29F K3

05/01/2006: I129F sent.

05/15/2006: I129F NOA1.

08/07/2006: Email approval notificationl of I129F.

08/14/2006: Case forwarded to embassy.

08/28/2006: Spouse recieved packet 3.5 and date of interview.

09/05/2006: Embassy canceld K3, since CR-1 @ embassy.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

it was a year ago, but I got my Green card a few days after the Welcome letters arrived. In the meanwhile, you can take one of the letters to your SSA office and check on her SSN card. I did that and it only took a week for the SSN card to arrive.

Hi,

My wife has been living in united states since 1 month. I still did not receive her Social Security and Green Card. Only thing I am have received is the welcome notice letter 4 times.

Does anyone know how long it takes for theses documents to arrive. My wife came on I-130 visa.

Thank you everyone.

Sham

Filed: Timeline

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has entered into agreements with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of State (DOS) for those agencies to assist SSA by collecting as part of the immigration process the information SSA needs to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. DHS electronically forwards the data to SSA once the person is admitted to the United States (U.S.), to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. SSA calls this data sharing process Enumeration at Entry (EAE).

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

Individuals age 18 or older applying at a foreign service post for an immigrant visa and alien registration, i.e., completes the Form DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, should answer “yes” to the questions 33a and 33b on the form if he or she wants an SSN assigned or replacement card issued.

The individual should receive his or her original or replacement SSN card within 3 weeks after arriving in the United States. The SSN card will be mailed to the same United States mailing address that is used to mail the Permanent Resident card (I-551).

If you answered “yes” to being assigned an SSN on form DS-230 when applying for an immigrant visa and you have not receive your SSN card within 3 weeks of being admitted to the United States, suggest that you go into your local Social Security office.

If you have been assigned an SSN, the office can provide you with the number. However, if you have not received your card within 14 days of your SSN being assigned, normally you will need to apply for a replacement SSN card.

If no SSN has been assigned after 3 weeks or application is found pending, you will need to submit an SSN application (Form SS-5) at one of our offices.

Only aliens age 18 and over will be processed by EAE. Children under age 18 must apply for Social Security numbers at a Social Security office after admission to the U.S. This is so SSA may collect their parents' Social Security numbers to provide to Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

You can obtain the address and directions to Social Security offices from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Be sure to take proof of age, identity, lawful alien status and work authorization when going into a Social Security office to inquiry about the status of your SSN or to submit an application.

Applicants need to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity and work authorization. Proof of age is not required when applying for a replacement SSN card.

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, we can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that

establishes age on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that

establishes identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200

The unexpired immigration documents I-551 card or Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language establish employment authorization.

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number (“A” number) as the “Registration Number” in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

The MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the statement “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR and is endorsed with an admission stamp is the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp and is valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp.

Example:

If the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2004, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2005. The expiration date on the MRIV should not be used to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as proof of work authorization.

An SSN card should be received card in the mail within two weeks after the application and documents have been received and verified when applying within the United States.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents/status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland.

New Rules For Getting A Social Security Number And Card:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10120.html

You may also wish to review “Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers,” that can be found on our Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...=129227,00.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.