boardercrosser

Is IR-1/CR1 right for us?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum but I have so many questions! I would be grateful for any help.

I am an US Citizen married to a Canadian/Filipina dual citizen. We were married on March 28, 2012 in Vancouver, Canada. My wife has sponsored me for a Canadian Permanent Resident Visa in May of last year. We were planning to live in Canada but have now decided the US is a better option for many reasons. I am still waiting on the approval from the Canadian government on my PR visa application but it can come anyday now. I have been in Canada for a month on a visitor visa but I am planning to go back to the US in June.

At that time, I plan to file the IR1/CR1 for her to immigrate to the US. In the meantime, if my Canadian visa is approved can i stay in Canada and wait for my US visa to be approved so I can be with my wife? What if any options do we have in order to stay together ? Do I need to be physically present in the US the whole time my IR1/CR1 application is in process?

We were hoping for direct consular filing but heard Canada now longer processes this?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

boardercrosser

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

01-14-14 case received by NVC

02-19-14 case number and IIN# assigned, gave NVC email add.

02-19-14 optin for electronic processing email sent

02-24-14 submitted DS-261

02-25-14 invoiced and paid for I-864

02-27-14 AOS shown as paid

03-10-14 optin email accepted by NVC

03-11-14 DS-261 accepted by NVC

03-12-14 scanned and emailed AOS

03-12-14 invoiced and paid for IV fees

03-24-14 IV fees shown as paid

04-02-14 Received and Resubmitted AOS checklist

08-01-14 DS-260 completed and submitted by wife

10-12-14 IV docs scanned and emailed

10-14-14 NVC scan date letter recd 10/27

03-17-15 case complete

04-23-15 medical- Surrey BC

05-15-15 interview - Montreal

xx-xx-15 wife receipt of passport with US PR visa

xx-xx-15 wife in US

The CR-1 is the only option for you guys.

There are guides (see the top of the page) that will help you out.

There is also the Canada Regional Forum with topics meant more specifically for Canadians.

You guys can visit back and forth, but I would pay particular attention to the thread in the Canada forum on proving domicile.

Lots of reading and stuff to wrap your head around at first.

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.