Precious

What happens to the Green Card?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

First of all, I'm glad that my journey is over. I went to my Oath Ceremony today and I'm finally a US Citizen! :thumbs:

Now, I'm applying for a US passport and I was wondering, since my son is a Permanent Resident under 18, he can also apply for his US passport, based on my US citizenship.

I wonder what happens to his green card, once he gets his US passport?

Thanks, guys!

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, I'm glad that my journey is over. I went to my Oath Ceremony today and I'm finally a US Citizen! :thumbs:

Now, I'm applying for a US passport and I was wondering, since my son is a Permanent Resident under 18, he can also apply for his US passport, based on my US citizenship.

I wonder what happens to his green card, once he gets his US passport?

Thanks, guys!

Yes he can. I became an US citizen through my dad when I was a minor. It was a really quick process for me. Once he gets his US passport he is not allowed to use the green card you are supposed to turn it over to USCIS. Usually, you apply to get the US Citizen certificate and he won't have to go to an actual ceremony just to the USCIS office and give a quick oath and turn in his green card to get the certificate. Good luck!

K1 Visa
Service Center: California
I-129f Sent: 08/3/2012
I-129f NOA1: 08/06/2012
I-129f RFE(s): NONE
I-129f Reply(s): NONE
I-129f NOA2: 04/23/2013
NVC Received:5/13/2013
NVC Left:
Consulate Received (Dublin, Ireland):
Packet 3 Received:
Packet 3 Sent:
Packet 4 Received:
Medical Exam:
Interview:
Visa Received:
US Entry:
Wedding:

Timeline

Yes he can. I became an US citizen through my dad when I was a minor. It was a really quick process for me. Once he gets his US passport he is not allowed to use the green card you are supposed to turn it over to USCIS. Usually, you apply to get the US Citizen certificate and he won't have to go to an actual ceremony just to the USCIS office and give a quick oath and turn in his green card to get the certificate. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! We'll do that!

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wonder if the USCIS ever thought about that at an oath ceremony where they like the kids of the parent there. Say congratulations to the kids for becoming US citizens, yet they walk out the door with their green cards. Do take the parent's green card though.

If they want an extra 600 bucks per kid, why can't they ask for that the same time you apply for the N-400? Can only wonder who came up with this method and why?

Timeline

Wonder if the USCIS ever thought about that at an oath ceremony where they like the kids of the parent there. Say congratulations to the kids for becoming US citizens, yet they walk out the door with their green cards. Do take the parent's green card though.

If they want an extra 600 bucks per kid, why can't they ask for that the same time you apply for the N-400? Can only wonder who came up with this method and why?

Good question, but let's not give them any ideas :innocent:

It's just seems odd to me, though. My son was not at my Oath Ceremony, as I never gave it a thought about bringing him along. I guess they'd assume, you bring the kids, they kindda participate, take an oath in a go-along-with-it manner, and that's it. Anyways, it works for me. Now I have to dash to the US passport agency before his 18th birthday!

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good question, but let's not give them any ideas :innocent:

It's just seems odd to me, though. My son was not at my Oath Ceremony, as I never gave it a thought about bringing him along. I guess they'd assume, you bring the kids, they kindda participate, take an oath in a go-along-with-it manner, and that's it. Anyways, it works for me. Now I have to dash to the US passport agency before his 18th birthday!

It doesn't matter if you don't get the passport before his 18th birthday. His status is now US citizen. That will not change. But, it is easier to sort out passports and certificates of citizenship (if you are getting it) for them before they are 18.

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.