bgreen19

Nursing and CGFNS? HELP

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

True that! It took me a month to receive my transcripts and list of hosp hours rendered.

ya.. really depends on how the registrar will process the request. lol. if they have a computer and saved the TOR, would be better but if they would need to search the files in their cabinets, might take longer esp if wifey graduated few years back..

@Monalisapod: is there an expiration for CES?

I'm not too sure tho coz it will all depend on which state your fiancee will apply for her NCLEX. The CES results will be sent to the designated state board of nursing where your fiancee is applying for. After that, the board of nursing will send an email notification stating that she is already eligible to take the exam and that she needed to register at Pearsonvue to receive her ATT (authorization to take test form). Expiration dates for registration at Pearsonvue may vary from different states. Some state allows an applicant to register within one year while other state requires only 4 months to register or else the entire application will be forfeited. As soon as she will receive her ATT, she will be given only 3 months to take the exam from the date of receipt.

Edited by monalisapod

SOcial Security Number is needed if your wife would take the NCLEX. so if she don't have yet, then she can't take the exam here in PI but once she is there in CO and applied for SSN already then she can take the NCLEX and work if she already has the EAD. :) but while she can prepare for CES without any SSN required then the better. it's also not easy dealing with PRC or probably depends on the people's mood at PRC? lol

Some state don't require any SSN but lately, most state now requires SSN so she better file the soonest time.

About PRC, I do agree with you on that :bonk:

Timeline

I'm not too sure tho coz it will all depend on which state your fiancee will apply for her NCLEX. The CES results will be sent to the board of nursing to the designated state where your fiancee is applying for. After that, the board of nursing will send an email notification stating that she is already eligible to take the exam and that she needed to register at Pearsonvue to receive her ATT (authorization to take test form). Expiration dates for registration at Pearsonvue may vary from different states. Some state allows an applicant to register for a maximum of one year while other state requires only 4 months to register or else the entire application will be forfeited. As soon as she will receive her ATT, she will be given only 3 months to take the exam from the date of receipt.

ohh ok.i'm actually the beneficiary and thinking of taking nclex in Az. but i don't know yet if i should process CES too since Az requires to have that eval too but don't need to have the toefl when requesting for CES professional (as listed in CGFNS site) but, if CES has expiration then i am just wasting money as i have no plans of becoming an RN right away in AZ.lol.but if there is none, since I tried to search too (seems like there is none based from someone's response) then it would be ok to process it if there is no expiration date. im just a bit lazy to ready for nclex though.sinc ei tried for Ca before after i graduated but then i changed my mind.and too many requirements..etc etc.. so i guess i'll just wait for the right time then.lol

Timeline

Some state don't require any SSN but lately, most state now requires SSN so she better file the soonest time.

About PRC, I do agree with you on that :bonk:

ya, VT and Ca don't require SSN before but now it changed. as i am sure with AZ too.they require SSN to take the nclex. as well as Co.. so if OP's wife and me can ready our CES since i believe it don't require SSN then the better and if it has no expiration, would be great.lol

Timeline

@monalisapod: i think i cant apply for CES yet since i dont have a recipient. lol. so I should apply for CES if i am already decided to take the NCLEX. i think i'll just do this once im in Az already since right now i have no final decision yet of taking the NCLEX since my main reason of going to Az is to marry my fiance. and start a family. probably NCLEX will just go next after the visa. also needs to plan when dealing with the school while outside the PI. I also want to take a refresher course before taking nclex, so will just do all of these one at a time. but I wish u god luck in your nclex journey too. :)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your wife probably wants to work by the time she gets there that is why she wants to start while she is here in PI. CES takes a good full 2 months to give a result excluding the mailing days. Other than that the school or licensing office here in PI (had she been licensed here) would take either take weeks or months to process her papers.

TOEFL (English proficiency Exam) - can be taken anywhere and anytime in PI. Actually they have a schedule. Check their site. The TOEFL results is valid for 2 years.

CGFNS - She prolly needs a CES professional report issued. CES will only do an academic evaluation so she does not need to send anything to the PRC or licensing office here in PI. The CGFNS site will walk you through everything and has a summary of what are the papers needed to be sent to respected offices once you have paid for it. The needed docs are to be submitted within a year and the results expires in 2 years.

NCLEX - CGFNS will tell you if you are allowed to take NCLEX. Never apply for NCLEX if the CGFNS does not give you a go signal. If you are good to go then see the requirements for CO NCLEX if they require SSN. You need to get SSN first if they require it before you can apply for NCLEX.

If you finish TOEFL and CGFNS while here in PI that is absolutely fine. Let her take NCLEX when she is in the US instead. Scheduling and taking the exam doesn't take much time but if she really wants to take it here in PI then you should talk about that :) Just don't take NCLEX without a go signal from CGFNS.

Edited by emmandenn

Timeline

She must be rushing things for 2 reasons. 1 is that she doesn't have anything to do and 2 she wants to work by the time she gets there :) Talk it out with her for the real reason. To issue a CES report needs a good full 2 months to process excluding the mailing days and the school or license office here in PI can take weeks to months to process your required docs.

TOEFL - she can take it anytime and anywhere while here in PI. They actually have a schedule on their site and the result is released after 2 weeks or a month I believe & expires in 2 years. Check their site for the schedule: http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register/centers_dates?WT.ac=toeflhome_centersdates_121127

CGFNS - will do a CES professional report for your wife. CES will ONLY do an academic evaluation so you don't have to send anything to the PRC or licensing office. The CGFNS will have a summary of the papers needed to be sent to their respective office after you pay for it. Results are released after 2 months and expires after 2 years.

NCLEX - contact your board of nursing for their requirements. If they require SSN then get it first. States like WA has a paper where you are to state if you don't have SSN and send it with your application but some states like CA don't allow applications without SSN. NCLEX scheduling and exam doesn't take too much time compared to TOEFL and CGFNS. You two have the choice :)

Just REMEMBER to never take NCLEX without any results from CGFNS since this will be the reference of the board of nursing whether to allow you to take NCLEX or not.

Hope this helps and message me if you have other questions and I'll answer as much as I can ^_^

She must be rushing things for 2 reasons. 1 is that she doesn't have anything to do and 2 she wants to work by the time she gets there :) Talk it out with her for the real reason. To issue a CES report needs a good full 2 months to process excluding the mailing days and the school or license office here in PI can take weeks to months to process your required docs.

TOEFL - she can take it anytime and anywhere while here in PI. They actually have a schedule on their site and the result is released after 2 weeks or a month I believe & expires in 2 years. Check their site for the schedule: http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register/centers_dates?WT.ac=toeflhome_centersdates_121127

CGFNS - will do a CES professional report for your wife. CES will ONLY do an academic evaluation so you don't have to send anything to the PRC or licensing office. The CGFNS will have a summary of the papers needed to be sent to their respective office after you pay for it. Results are released after 2 months and expires after 2 years.

NCLEX - contact your board of nursing for their requirements. If they require SSN then get it first. States like WA has a paper where you are to state if you don't have SSN and send it with your application but some states like CA don't allow applications without SSN. NCLEX scheduling and exam doesn't take too much time compared to TOEFL and CGFNS. You two have the choice :)

Just REMEMBER to never take NCLEX without any results from CGFNS since this will be the reference of the board of nursing whether to allow you to take NCLEX or not.

Hope this helps and message me if you have other questions and I'll answer as much as I can ^_^

Thanks so much for all of the info and advice guys! @Emmandenn is it really that the CES expires in 2 years? i read somewhere else that you have to register for the NCLEX within 12 months of getting your results and it expires after 1 year.

Timeline

i think perfect timing should be planned here. your wife don't have SSN yet. before she can apply for NCLEX, she has to have a SSN as per Co BON requirements. If Wa is ok for applicants to have no SSN then she might be able to apply there and request for endorsement to Co BON if she i guess would want to work in Co. but you have to check on Co BON regarding the endorsement procedures. but I don't really suggest doing an endorsement as it would be hassle. so better apply directly in the state of Co as that will be her principal state.

there are two types of CES report: professional and academic report. looking at Co BON NCLEX app requirements, it don't state whether it should be professional or academic only, so you have to check with Co BON, if your wife is licensed in the PI and the BON prefers professional, she might also deal with PRC and her school. reading the CES app handbook, it says

Prepare and send the Request for Academic Records/Transcripts form to any nursing or nursing-related post-secondary (tertiary) schools that you attended outside the United

States, asking them to send your academic records/transcripts to CGFNS. Send us a photocopy of your secondary school certificate/diploma or results of external exams.

Prepare and send the Request for Validation of License/Registration/Diploma form to all licensing authorities outside of the United States who have issued you licenses/

registrations, asking them to send us the completed form and any attachments.

which means she will have to deal with PRC and her school.

If CES and TOEFL are good for 2 years, then you and your wife should think of a perfect timing when she will receive the visa,fly to US and marry you, then get SSN and take the NCLEX. Aside from that, does she needs to have a review for NCLEX and TOEFL.. how long will it takes, etc..If these will all happen in 2 years then would be perfect.

Timeline

Thanks so much for all of the info and advice guys! @Emmandenn is it really that the CES expires in 2 years? i read somewhere else that you have to register for the NCLEX within 12 months of getting your results and it expires after 1 year.

You are to comply with the requirements in one year and you can access your online result for another year. You don't have to worry if it expires in 2 years or not since the CES report will be sent to your board of nursing and they will process it for a month.

What you can do while in PI:

Take TOEFL

Apply for CGFNS evaluation

Send application to CO board of nursing

The SSN is needed to issue a license but I do believe it doesn't prevent you from applying :) Your wife will hopefully be there and have an SSN by the time she is able to get NCLEX.

Timeline

Robb&Ann has a point. Timing is crucial but two years is a lot! :) You can hopefully finish all that. Usually reviews for NCLEX last for 2 months if you take it with a review center. What I did is I took TOEFL, applied for CGFNS, and applied at the WA BON.

Timeline

there are actually exceptions regarding the SSN.. probably this will apply if she wants to take NCLEX while here in PI. then if she pass, she can get her SSN and license once she is there. I guess you should call the Co BON about this too to make sure..

Social Security Number is Required. Effective January 1, 2009, a Social Security Number is required for all licensees. The Division will consider an application to be incomplete when the applicant fails to submit his/her Social Security Number. Exceptions are made for foreign nationals not physically present in the United States and for non-immigrants in the United States on student visas who do not have a Social Security Number. These applicants must submit a signed Social Security Number Affidavit in lieu of a Social Security Number. The affidavit is available on our website at www.dora.colorado.gov/professions/nursing, or you may call (303) 894-7800 to request that one be mailed to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.