Shaunna&Tony

How much money do you bring while visiting?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

First sorry if this is in the wrong place just wasn't sure where else to put it.

I am going over to Memphis TN from Western Australia for two weeks early May and wasn't sure how much to take with me. I have not yet applied for any visas e.g. fiance visa and am just travelling on my ESTA visa.

The last few times I have gone over the custom's officer is always asking me how much money do I have to spend. I stay with my bf so don't need to pay for accommodation so this time I was going to take $1300 cash and have budgeted $2 grand on my card (I do have savings if I need to access more for whatever reason)

My question is do you think this is enough? I know I am probably over thinking things,but I was just curious to see how much people would advise the customs officer that they plan on spending over a two week period?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone

First sorry if this is in the wrong place just wasn't sure where else to put it.

I am going over to Memphis TN from Western Australia for two weeks early May and wasn't sure how much to take with me. I have not yet applied for any visas e.g. fiance visa and am just travelling on my ESTA visa.

The last few times I have gone over the custom's officer is always asking me how much money do I have to spend. I stay with my bf so don't need to pay for accommodation so this time I was going to take $1300 cash and have budgeted $2 grand on my card (I do have savings if I need to access more for whatever reason)

My question is do you think this is enough? I know I am probably over thinking things,but I was just curious to see how much people would advise the customs officer that they plan on spending over a two week period?

heya im sure i can help you as i myself have had to travel back and fourth from the U.S infact its been 5 times in 10 months i would take for a 2 week period 2 thousand U.S dollars it doesnt matter how much you take to be fair its not something they can complain neither stop you entering so please dont panic and staying with your boyfriend also helps ............. and im sure he is a gentleman and will share half of the things you do together .............. so please dont worry take as much as you want or as much as you think you will need .............. oh and have fun

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Customs asks because the limit for bringing cash into the USA from an outside country is $10,000 USD (whether with you in cash or by bank or wire transfer). They do this to prevent money laundering from criminal sources. You can bring more than $10,000 if you wish but you MUST declare it and be prepared to show proof that the money was gotten by legitimate means. If you have over $10,000 and do not declare it and they find it, they can and will confiscate it (as in gone, no recourse). Hope this helps you feel better about why that question is asked. :)

I am the USC/Petitioner

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.