Bennett Family

Thai Court Order of Sole Custody in liu of Statement of Consent from biological parent

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The document is real . However it may not serve to satisfy the embassies requirements. This type of document was submitted in a case I helped with in the past and was rejected in that case.

The document was written by what you call city hall. City hall is not a court so this isn't a court order from a judge.

What this really indicates is that the couple lived a husband and wife but were not married and the father didn't sign the B cert. It does say the mother has custody of the child.

I don't know if the embassy will accept this but if they did it would be great and help others be able to get visas for children.

As far as getting passports for kids I know I had no problem getting my daughters. I applied and it arrived in about 10 days. The person I mentioned above who's kids were denied also had no trouble getting those passports. The problem was with the father not signing and the rejection of a document just like what we see here.

I agree. Getting the passport and getting a visa issued by the US Embassy are different issues. To get the passport, the "city hall" document (domicile district office - por kor 14) suffices. Previous stories on here have suggested it used to be ok (as in our case), but things changed with the embassy requirements a few years ago.

Info on getting the passport.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

From the embassy page:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/591452/iv/112012_k_instruction_packet_3.pdf

OFFICIAL GRANT OF PERMANENT CUSTODY FOR MINOR CHILDREN: Please bring an official grant of permanent custody of each child, if you have minor children who will accompany you. Evidence of permanent custody is also needed at the time of childs application if the child follows to live with the parent in the United States.

Please submit an official consent statement from the other parent granting permanent custody for each child to emigrate to and live permanently in the US with the traveling parent. More information on how to execute the consent can be found from http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/591452/iv/consent0112.pdf. If a statement of consent is not possible, we will accept a court order of sole custody.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Just thinking out loud here. Since the OP is an IR-1/CR-1 case, all of these documents are submitted to NVC, and not the consulate which is the case with K visas. I know in my wife's case the only documents she submitted to the embassy were the medical and proof of relationship stuff. Original marriage certificate, original police clearance, proof of birth, affidavit of support, etc. were all submitted to NVC here in the U.S. NVC basically approved all that stuff and sent it to the embassy. There is no packet 3 for IR-1/CR-1 visas.

Like I said, not sure if that makes a difference in the OPs case, but IR-1/CR-1 visa processes are different from K visas in that regard.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Just thinking out loud here. Since the OP is an IR-1/CR-1 case, all of these documents are submitted to NVC, and not the consulate which is the case with K visas. I know in my wife's case the only documents she submitted to the embassy were the medical and proof of relationship stuff. Original marriage certificate, original police clearance, proof of birth, affidavit of support, etc. were all submitted to NVC here in the U.S. NVC basically approved all that stuff and sent it to the embassy. There is no packet 3 for IR-1/CR-1 visas.

Like I said, not sure if that makes a difference in the OPs case, but IR-1/CR-1 visa processes are different from K visas in that regard.

The website shows different links for immigrant visas and K visas. Both have the same information on child custody. Since I did not go the IR-1/IR-2 route, I don't know the answer. We need someone with more recent experience to post their experience. The only references I've found are threads where someone was headed down the path, but never followed up with the final results/solution.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile/immigrant_visas/packets.html

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline

The website shows different links for immigrant visas and K visas. Both have the same information on child custody. Since I did not go the IR-1/IR-2 route, I don't know the answer. We need someone with more recent experience to post their experience. The only references I've found are threads where someone was headed down the path, but never followed up with the final results/solution.

Yeah that information in the link is somewhat misleading when it comes to IR-1/CR-1 visas. I think they put it in there for people that are going the Direct Consular filing route where NVC is not involved. I submitted almost all of that to NVC here in the U.S. which is what they require.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We will find out soon, I'm panicked but hopeful, I've been waiting a long time.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Good luck and let me know please... I'm behind you by about 3-4 months.

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Timeline

I hired Siam legal to try to get official custody before my interview for 50,000 baht to go along with certification of custody. Not sure what is going to happen, can't really understand his legal terminology. Hoping for the best, nervous. US embassy in bangkok will not tell me if certification will be enough. I sent scanned copies of document and translation and they keep sending copies of requirements generated through state dept website. Worst customer service ever.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I hired Siam legal to try to get official custody before my interview for 50,000 baht to go along with certification of custody. Not sure what is going to happen, can't really understand his legal terminology. Hoping for the best, nervous. US embassy in bangkok will not tell me if certification will be enough. I sent scanned copies of document and translation and they keep sending copies of requirements generated through state dept website. Worst customer service ever.

This is very difficult for people I know. This is probably a situation like I described before where they think what you are doing is asking them to " pre screen " the case. That's just a guess. Interesting to note in the case I sent you info on they did respond to questions to a certain degree.

You would think they would at least say if the docs were acceptable. However in the example I sent you they said " most people don't obtain these childrens visas on the first attempt ".

Timeline

This is very difficult for people I know. This is probably a situation like I described before where they think what you are doing is asking them to " pre screen " the case. That's just a guess. Interesting to note in the case I sent you info on they did respond to questions to a certain degree.

You would think they would at least say if the docs were acceptable. However in the example I sent you they said " most people don't obtain these childrens visas on the first attempt ".

I've paid my taxes, all my visa fees, medical fees, lawyer fees, I'm over $100,000 into this being apart from my family almost 3 years. I can't believe I've been able to maintain. They don't even have the courtesy to respond with a name of whom I'm speaking to in email. And they will never let me reply to their email,mi must start over again. I'm a human being and my family are human beings, a family's survival is depending on this process to be givin a fair shake. I'm tired of these people. They to should be held accountable.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

they are guaranteeing me custody by end of week. She had to say she hasn't spoke to him since birth of child.

Timeline

Where did she make that statement?

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Timeline

Where did she make that statement?

i believe she made it at the law office. This was Monday, they said it would be filed by end of this week , they are using the certification of custody as evidence. Lawyer says will have custody by July 17

Timeline

We are waiting for our interview at the embassy; but we have the sole custody papers and the letter the father had to sign at the amphur stating that the other patent has permission to take the child to migrate to the US. These two documents are required according to the us embassy website. Also I heard from a friend that the embassy will also ask for a signed copy of the fathers Thai ID. We got that too just in case.

I know what a lot of you are thinking...why do you need the letter from the father if the mother has sole custody? I asked the same question. After a while, I learned to just accepted as what it is, get them and move on.

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.